B1G Talent

Maryland is the 4th most talented team in the B1G according to 247. The Gophers are 12th. We're not going to get to where we want until Fleck increases the talent. Our lack of speed and athleticism at the skill positions on offense and defense was obvious today.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=Big-Ten

This is really true, and it's a darn good thing we made the coaching switch when we did. Our talent was on a downward spiral with Claeys as the recruiter.

This is really true, and it's a darn good thing we made the coaching switch when we did. Our talent was on a downward spiral with Claeys as the recruiter.

Well, Claeys only had one recruiting class and it was ranked higher than PJ's in '17 and seems likely it will be higher than PJ's in '18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Claeys only had one recruiting class and it was ranked higher than PJ's in '17 and seems likely it will be higher than PJ's in '18.

If only we would have let Claeys finish last years class it would have been one of the worst in Gopher's history. Thank god we didn't.

If only we would have let Claeys finish last years class it would have been one of the worst in Gopher's history. Thank god we didn't.

Great take - since it can't be proven one way or the other. Great take.

Great take - since it can't be proven one way or the other. Great take.

And 6 of the 7 top rated recruits in that 2016 class originally committed to Kill. The only one of those 7 who didn't was Seth Green who'll never be a factor here.

And it can be proven by anyone who follows recruiting.

And 6 of the 7 top rated recruits in that 2015 class originally committed to Kill. The only one of those 7 who didn't was Seth Green who'll never be a factor here.

And it can be proven by anyone who follows recruiting.

OK. Not sure of the argument here. FtF said our talent was on a downward spiral and I pointed out those coveted recruiting rankings said the opposite. You countered with a complete and total guess that could never be proven one way or the other (fact) and when called out on it you respond with some stat about who was coach when certain players first committed to the U. You are so hard to follow.

OK. Not sure of the argument here. FtF said our talent was on a downward spiral and I pointed out those coveted recruiting rankings said the opposite. You countered with a complete and total guess that could never be proven one way or the other (fact) and when called out on it you respond with some stat about who was coach when certain players first committed to the U. You are so hard to follow.

It's not a guess. When Claeys was fired our 2017 class was the worst in the B1G with virtually no movement in a month. The 2016 class was ranked highly because of a talented in state class that originally committed to Kill. It's not difficult to follow.

It's not a guess. When Claeys was fired our 2017 class was the worst in the B1G with virtually no movement in a month. The 2016 class was ranked highly because of a talented in state class that originally committed to Kill. It's not difficult to follow.

Sure - and if we stopped looking at recruiting rankings in July - PJ has a top 10 group. They only matter on one day, and you know that, or at least you should.

Sure - and if we stopped looking at recruiting rankings in July - PJ has a top 10 group. They only matter on one day, and you know that, or at least you should.

I do. But again with only a month left in the recruiting cycle you pretty much know where you stand at that point. Far different than evaluating in July.

Ya, it had nothing to do with Kill. A lot of the good recruits committed after Kill stepped down, wanted to play for Claeys. Hearing a lot of interest from big time schools in Claeys as both a head coach and a recruiter. Just wait til January. Should be one of the hottest names being mentioned.

Ya, it had nothing to do with Kill. A lot of the good recruits committed after Kill stepped down, wanted to play for Claeys. Hearing a lot of interest from big time schools in Claeys as both a head coach and a recruiter. Just wait til January. Should be one of the hottest names being mentioned.

If a) he hadn't lost his job the way he had here and b) he had stayed quiet after it happened then I'm sure he'd already be employed by now.

Even I'm able to follow this.
It's pretty simple and straight forward.

Didn't Claeys take this low-talent group of players on the road, with a backup quarterback last year and pretty easily defeat Maryland? Or am I forgetting something?

Didn't Claeys take this low-talent group of players on the road, with a backup quarterback last year and pretty easily defeat Maryland? Or am I forgetting something?

Yes. Minnesota had players that were better and Maryland had players that were worse.

Yes. Minnesota had players that were better and Maryland had players that were worse.
I bet if you did a comparison of talent based off recruiting g rankings for last year's matchup it would be similar to this year.. the big change is coaching.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I bet if you did a comparison of talent based off recruiting g rankings for last year's matchup it would be similar to this year.. the big change is coaching.

Our DBs vs Maryland last year were Myrick, Hardin, Travis, and Winfield against a true freshman QB in his first start who threw 2 picks, including 1 pick 6. Just a little different.

You should start a petition to get Claeys back. I'm sure it will garner a lot of interest and success. Who do you think he'll be leading next year? The college football world wants to know! I'm sure a lot of programs will be contacting him to be their next head coach! Where's your "smart" money? ? ?

If a) he hadn't lost his job the way he had here and b) he had stayed quiet after it happened then I'm sure he'd already be employed by now.

I'm pretty sure he's doing alright and not living paycheck to paycheck. If he wanted to coach this year, he would be.

Our DBs vs Maryland last year were Myrick, Hardin, Travis, and Winfield against a true freshman QB in his first start who threw 2 picks, including 1 pick 6. Just a little different.
How about the rest of the team?

Was he going to have a historically good instate class very year?

You should start a petition to get Claeys back. I'm sure it will garner a lot of interest and success. Who do you think he'll be leading next year? The college football world wants to know! I'm sure a lot of programs will be contacting him to be their next head coach! Where's your "smart" money? ? ?

Wow. That's quite a leap. I was just pointing out that our awful coach last year was able to take our awful recruits and beat a Maryland team with far superior talent (on the road).

How about the rest of the team?

That was the major difference. The Gophers had 309 yards on offense vs Maryland last year, 311 yards today.

That was the major difference. The Gophers had 309 yards on offense vs Maryland last year, 311 yards today.
But in terms of recruiting rankings, how about the rest of the team? Isn't that where this thread started?

But in terms of recruiting rankings, how about the rest of the team? Isn't that where this thread started?

Maryland is starting virtually all upperclassmen including a ton of SRs. The Gophers are not. Maryland had the 18th ranked recruiting class last year, and a ton of young talent to add depth. The Gophers class was 59th and they are relying on their youth to start and play significant minutes.

It's PJ Fleck in Concert - the "No Expectations" tour!

So, just out of curiosity, when are Gopher fans allowed to have expectations? 2 years - 3 years - 10 years - never?

We keep being told that Fleck is a better coach and a better recruiter - but we can't expect him to win as many games as the departed bad coach and bad recruiter. Why? Because.

So, just out of curiosity, when are Gopher fans allowed to have expectations? 2 years - 3 years - 10 years - never?

We keep being told that Fleck is a better coach and a better recruiter - but we can't expect him to win as many games as the departed bad coach and bad recruiter. Why? Because.

Because this year's team is different than last years team. And so are all the teams we are playing.

Maybe the eventual ceiling will be higher with Fleck if he can recruit better than Kill/Claeys, but I feel like Kill/Claeys were better at getting the most out of their talent.

Maybe the eventual ceiling will be higher with Fleck if he can recruit better than Kill/Claeys, but I feel like Kill/Claeys were better at getting the most out of their talent.

I actually tend to agree with you on this statement.

Top Bottom