How can we land top recruits with a crap game like this?

Our attendance frequently exceeds 40K! Who wouldn't want to play here?

Tennessee and UCLA have top 10 classes this year.

Well, I certainly hope PJ can maintain that top 10 recruiting class like UCLA and Tennessee after the loss to 13 point underdog Maryland. Yeah sure, losses don't matter.

Well, I certainly hope PJ can maintain that top 10 recruiting class like UCLA and Tennessee after the loss to 13 point underdog Maryland. Yeah sure, losses don't matter.

???????

Tennessee and UCLA have top 10 classes this year.

UCLA is in SoCal and sits in a complete hotbed for HS talent. Tennessee has the talent hotbed thing to a lesser extent, but will admit it doesn't make sense that it has continued to get the classes it has the past 5-6 years. Did notice someone has changed the Vols Wiki page to show the HC as vacant...

So you are saying if Fleck doesn't win here, he'll still somehow get recruiting classes ranked much, much higher than those from the past 15-20 years...and much, much higher than he's ever had?

LSU just lost to Troy at home. How in the hell will they ever get top recruits again????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSU just lost to Troy. How in the hell will they ever get top recruits again??!!

That's a pretty key word. Know you are being sarcastic, but you have to know how ridiculous that comment is...although the comparison of Gophs to LSU is flattering.

That's a pretty key word. Know you are being sarcastic, but you have to know how ridiculous that comment is...although the comparison of Gophs to LSU is flattering.

Of course I was being sarcastic.

Winning is the only thing that will enable a team to get top notch recruits consistently. The other things help, but kids want to see wins and other coaches use losses against them. PJ's loss to Maryland did not help him in the recruiting wars. Maybe PJ should care more about game prep than recruiting during the season.

Winning is the only thing that will enable a team to get top notch recruits consistently. The other things help, but kids want to see wins and other coaches use losses against them. PJ's loss to Maryland did not help him in the recruiting wars. Maybe PJ should care more about game prep than recruiting during the season.

Weird, you would have thought that elite 9 win season last year would have helped Claeys recruiting. Yet it didn't.

Of course I was being sarcastic.

Which I said...was there a point behind it? You also think he can recruit higher level classes without winning?

Thank you, every school has their advantages and disadvantages as someone pointed out, the problem is the Gophers doesn't have what UCLA has or even Tennessee has. So the need to beat middle teir teams is at an all time high if we want to move to the next level.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Weird, you would have thought that elite 9 win season last year would have helped Claeys recruiting. Yet it didn't.

Hey, I'm a PJ fan, he won me over... I thought he had the team completely unprepared for Maryland today, but I fully support him because he is our coach. Maybe a little over the top for me, but whatever, if he wins, I can grow to love. But you have no idea how Tracy Claeys recruiting class would have ended up. I can pretty much guarantee that he would have stole some recruits at the last minute with all his contacts. You're saying that Claeys class would have been worse than PJ's. I'm not buying it.

Please move this to the "Sky is falling" thread.

Maybe I'm the only old furt here, but somehow after the '83 Nebraska game, Minnesota managed to find enough players to field a team every year.

Hey, I'm a PJ fan, he won me over... I thought he had the team completely unprepared for Maryland today, but I fully support him because he is our coach. Maybe a little over the top for me, but whatever, if he wins, I can grow to love. But you have no idea how Tracy Claeys recruiting class would have ended up. I can pretty much guarantee that he would have stole some recruits at the last minute with all his contacts. You're saying that Claeys class would have been worse than PJ's. I'm not buying it.

Yes it would have been worse and everyone who follows recruiting for a living would agree. And it wasn't just the ranking, he had virtually nothing at our weakest positions DL, OL, QB, WR.

UCLA is in SoCal and sits in a complete hotbed for HS talent. Tennessee has the talent hotbed thing to a lesser extent, but will admit it doesn't make sense that it has continued to get the classes it has the past 5-6 years. Did notice someone has changed the Vols Wiki page to show the HC as vacant...

So you are saying if Fleck doesn't win here, he'll still somehow get recruiting classes ranked much, much higher than those from the past 15-20 years...and much, much higher than he's ever had?

I'm not sure what you mean by winning but say he goes 6-6 this year I don't think it will significantly impact the recruiting for 2019.

PJ won 1 game at WMU the first year.

Still managed to get them going.

Wasn't the gopher's best class the one following Brewster's 1-11 year?

I don't follow recruiting any more than than most people on here. I have another life, but I've learned that people want to be on the winning teams.

Hey, I'm not judging, but do you and JB have something going?

Which I said...was there a point behind it? You also think he can recruit higher level classes without winning?

I don't know and neither do you. He did manage to it in his previous job.

Some of the arguments on this forum are tremendous....

I don't follow recruiting any more than than most people on here. I have another life, but I've learned that people want to be on the winning teams.

Hey, I'm not judging, but do you and JB have something going?
This might be your best post yet.

To get great recruits we need a domed stadium...[emoji57]

To be perfectly blunt - to get the best recruits, you either need to be a big-time helmet school, or you have to be prepared to bend/twist the rules in some fashion - offer incentives, or let kids in school with questionable legal and academic backgrounds.

If you are not a big-time helmet school, and if you are determined to run a squeaky-clean program, then you are going to get the exact same type of recruits that the U of MN has been getting since Fido had pups. OK - but not great.

Now, you can be a winning program with that level of recruits - winning as defined as a .500 record or better. But, unless you get really lucky, you are probably never going to win conference titles or be part of the national scene.

Mason had 7 and 8-win seasons and some people said "we can do better." Kill and Claeys had 7 and 8-win seasons (even a 9-win season) and some people said "we can do better."

Now Fleck is here, and some people believe he can bring in a higher class of recruits who will elevate the program to a higher level in the conference and national scene.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I'll believe it when I see it. Like it or not, one of the hardest things in college sports is to move a program to a higher level. Is Fleck that good? I have no idea. only time will tell. But, to be honest, I am not betting my 401K on the proposition that Fleck is some miracle recruiter who can bring in kids to the U of MN that no other coach has been able to recruit.

(PS, I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, either. I'm ambivalent about the Great Pumpkin)

To be perfectly blunt - to get the best recruits, you either need to be a big-time helmet school, or you have to be prepared to bend/twist the rules in some fashion - offer incentives, or let kids in school with questionable legal and academic backgrounds.

If you are not a big-time helmet school, and if you are determined to run a squeaky-clean program, then you are going to get the exact same type of recruits that the U of MN has been getting since Fido had pups. OK - but not great.

Now, you can be a winning program with that level of recruits - winning as defined as a .500 record or better. But, unless you get really lucky, you are probably never going to win conference titles or be part of the national scene.

Mason had 7 and 8-win seasons and some people said "we can do better." Kill and Claeys had 7 and 8-win seasons (even a 9-win season) and some people said "we can do better."

Now Fleck is here, and some people believe he can bring in a higher class of recruits who will elevate the program to a higher level in the conference and national scene.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I'll believe it when I see it. Like it or not, one of the hardest things in college sports is to move a program to a higher level. Is Fleck that good? I have no idea. only time will tell. But, to be honest, I am not betting my 401K on the proposition that Fleck is some miracle recruiter who can bring in kids to the U of MN that no other coach has been able to recruit.

(PS, I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, either. I'm ambivalent about the Great Pumpkin)

Straight up truth.

How does Wisconsin do it then?

Wisconsin has had the tradition since Barry Alvarez was the coach. But do you think the vadgers run a clean program? That's hilarious. I know former vadger players. Yeah, go ahead and only recruit players that are choirboys. See how far it gets you.

A bigger person would recruit the marginal ones that can make the change. You get the best of both worlds...an all star athlete and a future all star citizen. I think this is what PJ is looking for. Go Gophers!
\

How does Wisconsin do it then?

Wisconsin has 10 or more wins in 8 of the last 12 seasons. They are nationally known for producing top running backs. They are already on a different level than the U of MN. I submit that Wisconsin is a 'helmet' school - if not top 10, then at least consistent top-20. Recruits see WI in major bowl games almost every year. They don't see the Gophers in major bowl games.

Sad but true - the U of MN can not, and should not, compare its program to WI in any way, shape or form. WI is a better program than the U of MN, and has been for years.

The answer to this question is kinda obvious, no?

Jellyfam!

Duh.......

Recruiting

Just saying, if I was a recruit at the gophers game and I see this type a game where Maryland has a 3rd string QB beat us, and then they have a Under Armour Sponsor. How does the recruit pick Minnesota over Maryland? especially if it's a big time recruit.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

And how did Maryland have such a great recruiting class after they had such a lousy year last year, including us beating them on their own turf? Recruits choose a school based on a lot of different reasons, but the game they attend is only a small part of the equation.

Top Bottom