[POST GAME THREAD] - Maryland defeats Minnesota 31-24

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Let the melt down begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Maryland good or are we bad? Probably a little of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maryland is a good team with a poor week last week.

They out-talented us across the board.
You could see how much more speed they had across the board, this is why we needed a better recruiter than the people who brought in the players we have right now.

You could see how much more speed they had across the board, this is why we needed a better recruiter than the people who brought in the players we have right now.

We heard "better talent" all the way through the past 5 years. Got a lot of nice wins the past 5 years. And the posters that would rip Kill and Claeys when they would lost to a "Maryland" will be quiet. Bet on it.

Maryland may have more talent but our front 7 got beat, which was supposed to be our strength

I was telling people before this game, that betting on the Gophers side of the line was crazy.

This is a team that is limited talent wise. I'm not worried about the wins and losses as much as how they play.

They played well but had some issues.

Now on to Purdue. We are 0-0 against Purdue. Hopefully we can come back 1-0.

Coach said it earlier in the week. Maryland has a lot of talent. 2 weeks to prep isn’t enough.

We heard "better talent" all the way through the past 5 years. Got a lot of nice wins the past 5 years. And the posters that would rip Kill and Claeys when they would lost to a "Maryland" will be quiet. Bet on it.

You sure can't expect Maryland to be down forever when they are out-recruiting us.

Eventually, a team with better talent will beat you.

There is always one game each year that dumbfounds us. Usually early in the season. We lost to Illinois the year we went to the citrus bowl. I'm sad, and a bit angry we lost, but I haven't given up on PJ or the team for this year.

IMO Rhoda played well enough to win a college game. Team lost because for being a "running team" the Gophers don't run the ball consistently for decent gains. No big plays at all from running game. Shannon Brooks seems to stand out as much more explosive on tape than R Smith.

The dropped pass leading to the INT was so painful, and the dropped INT by Huff right after was a killer too.

Yep, this. They were faster, and more skilled. Their 3rd-string QB was money all day; their O-line controlled every aspect of our defensive game.

All of that, and we were still a terrible end-of-half timeout and a very bad play by our best receiver away from winning that game.

Good game today. DJ Durkin is stockpiling some real talent at Maryland. I think next year he will break through. Gophers are a good team and will be fine.

Gophers are gonna win some this year and are gonna lose some. Today was a loss.

--John Madden
--biggenchamps

Can’t wait to see everyone complain about the top 25 rankings tomorrow!

I was proud how the offense came back and tied the game, but our limitations are visible.

The OL looks significantly better in pass protection compared to run blocking. Seems like we should see some more passing in coming weeks.

Fire Pj fleck, tracey never would have lost this game.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quite simply we got grossly out coached. We had essentially the same players both sides of the ball when we played at Maryland, and won 31-10. Difference they were down to their 3rd string qb. Our gameplan was atrocious. PJ is more worried about "culture" and starting from ground zero with acronyms and holding players accountable by having their fist up on 3rd down than wins and losses than building off a NINE win team from last year.

No excuses just very disappointing lackluster performance. Right from the start the team looked sluggish and never really woke up. Some very puzzling play calling and not real great execution cost the Gophers today.

Quite simply we got grisly out coached. We had essentially the same players both sides of the ball when we played at Maryland, with This starting. Difference they were down to their 3rd string qb. Our gamelan was atrocious. PJ is more worried about "culture" and starting from ground zero than building off a NINE win team from last year.

I think that at least from a scheme perspective on offense the team is too similar to last year. In spite of Rhoda's limitations the Gophers use plays much more efficiently when passing. They keep trying to force this "running team" identity 3 yards at a time with a marginal run blocking line.

This game was won in the trenches as the cliche goes. Almost no pressure was applied to the MD qb and with no McGee and Winfield, for most of the game, receivers were left open. Very disappointing game defensively.

This was the most disappointing defensive effort I've seen from the Gophers since the Brewster days. Our running D was getting gashed all day and 3rd down defense was terrible, all against a 3rd string QB.

How many times does the RB need to be stuffed against the zone read before you try something different?

Outcoached. Maryland has the better athletes, but the game was close enough that a few adjustments could have changed the outcome. RUTM on every freaken first and second down. RUTM is the only run play we know. Brooks was hot, yet Smith kept getting the ball. Rhoda never running on the option (and no adjustment on that from the coaches). Half-time time management. Defense is young and undermanned but they knew what Maryland was all about... and we couldn't do anything about it. Not impressed by this staff at all.

Good game today. DJ Durkin is stockpiling some real talent at Maryland. I think next year he will break through. Gophers are a good team and will be fine.

No, it wasn't. One team played well and the other stumbled and bumbled around remaining clueless for most of the game. Defense was piss-poor all day. Receivers dropped passes, tackling was awful. Guys didn't make plays. Rhoda was pretty good and Tyler Johnson had a nice game. Other than that, that was a crap Gopher team out there. In other words, the Gopher team that took the field today isn't good.

Can they get better? Maybe. But this game was mostly a mess.

Top Bottom