[POST GAME THREAD] - Maryland defeats Minnesota 31-24

The big cornerback cushion today reminded me of the Mason years where he had no confidence in his corners and consistently played them with a cushion. Maddening, but necessary maybe? If today's young corners played pressure defense, they might have been toast in short order. Would love to hear the coaches' honest opinion on that.

Bring safety help. There is no excuse for that.

BS. The B1G is not a ****ing sled drill. You know how many times I've watched Ohio State go an entire game without pulling a guard to help with run blocking? 0.
You can't run your front seven and o-line straight forward every play and expect to win. Pathetic.
I'm not saying they can't turn it around, but this isn't on our damn players.

So what are you asking for here instead of zone blocking? A trapping scheme in a read-option offense (won't work)? Scrapping the current offense and going to a pro-style scheme will a fullback, pulling guards and traps? You're on a roll today.

So what are you asking for here instead of zone blocking? A trapping scheme in a read-option offense (won't work)? Scrapping the current offense and going to a pro-style scheme will a fullback, pulling guards and traps? You're on a roll today.

I'm asking him to stop running read-option every other play.
Yes, we should be running a trapping scheme, because that's the only thing that has worked here for the last 50 years.
There should be at least one package that utilizes a fullback with the talent we have in the backfield.
We're running an offense designed for Western Michigan, not Minnesota.

Or would you prefer we keep running Brooks straight into blitzing LBs without ever once considering motioning away from them and getting a FB to pick up the lone man on the other side?

From 20 yards deep? Yeah, they were a huge help back there. Especially on Maryland's last touchdown.

That's my point. The safeties WERE NOT playing the run on that play and were backing up the corners (per your wish in your previous post) then they got killed on the run. The corners gave a bigger cushion today when they had less safety help.

It's been nearly a decade since this team lost a home game that they were double digit favorites in. I guess that's a positive.

That's my point. The safeties WERE NOT playing the run on that play and were backing up the corners (per your wish in your previous post) then they got killed on the run. The corners gave a bigger cushion today when they had less safety help.

Yeah, I know. I'm just frustrated. Shenault is not as bad as he has played this year. We need to be able to trust those guys on the outside. And whatever our LBs are doing is not working.

Coach said it earlier in the week. Maryland has a lot of talent. 2 weeks to prep isn’t enough.
Bullsheet!

Our defense never moved along the line, never attempted to disguise its look and never adjusted. That's called piss poor coordinating by our defensive staff. Send that joker back to Arkansas and get our money back.

I guess my greater point is this:
What point is there in having our corners play 7 yards off their receiver when their feet aren't even moving once the receivers get to them? You're just giving up plays.
What benefit do we gain from playing this guy so far back? He just gets ripped.
http://video.btn.com/dj-turner-diving-catch-on-4th-and-10-vs-minnesota
Literally all three trips are open on this play, that QB could have throw the ball anywhere on that side of the field and it would have been a first down.

Yeah, I know. I'm just frustrated. Shenault is not as bad as he has played this year. We need to be able to trust those guys on the outside. And whatever our LBs are doing is not working.

Yes, the linebackers and front 7 in general got schooled all day long...sometimes because of sneaky good holding on the outside edges but that's part of the game.

IMO Rhoda played well enough to win a college game. Team lost because for being a "running team" the Gophers don't run the ball consistently for decent gains. No big plays at all from running game. Shannon Brooks seems to stand out as much more explosive on tape than R Smith.

The dropped pass leading to the INT was so painful, and the dropped INT by Huff right after was a killer too.
Our offense has zero deception and our kids aren't good enough to just go toe-to-toe with better athletes. This loss is on the coaches entirely.

Good game today. DJ Durkin is stockpiling some real talent at Maryland. I think next year he will break through. Gophers are a good team and will be fine.
Thanks for blowing smoke up my @$$. [emoji15]

Fire Pj fleck, tracey never would have lost this game.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Claeys would have won this game, but you can't undo what has been done. Just another 5 year project for Gopher football...

Claeys would have won this game, but you can't undo what has been done. Just another 5 year project for Gopher football...

I mean, we still have most of his guys, if we're going to bring him back, better to do it soon. ;)
But yeah, we're just watching Minnesota re-invent itself... again.
Hopefully the end product is okay in 4-5 years.

Our offense has zero deception and our kids aren't good enough to just go toe-to-toe with better athletes. This loss is on the coaches entirely.

In other words the same game plan Tracy had last year, he just had better players.

There is always one game each year that dumbfounds us. Usually early in the season. We lost to Illinois the year we went to the citrus bowl. I'm sad, and a bit angry we lost, but I haven't given up on PJ or the team for this year.

Well, that's exactly right. Any team in this league right now (except for Rutgers and probably Illinois) can beat one of the midlevel teams if that team plays well and the other team has a letdown. A little more perspective on today's game:

1) Counting this loss, Minnesota is 1-5 in their last six Big Ten openers. Nevertheless, this program has had a pretty fair record over that stretch.

2) At the beginning of the season, and certainly after the Texas win, the Maryland game was one many observers may have called a a very possible Minnesota loss. The celebration after the quarterback injuries was premature. Maryland obviously has a pretty good level of athletic talent and their QB was pretty competent today. We couldn't get enough pressure on him but that's nothing new for this team. Pass rushing has been a chronic defensive weakness with this team over the last four or five years.

3) The one bright spot today is that we had five receivers catch two or more passes. At least we're not relying so heavily one one or two receivers this year.

4) I guess you could say that Maryland owed us one after the last two seasons.

We got outcoached today. Maybe it will be the only time we say that this year, but we were outcoached.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I agree that the gameplan was bad, but to me this game comes down to the play by the offensive line and front seven on defense.

Offensive line struggled to get push all day and hardly ever opened a hole. The end result was a dismal 2.6 YPC.

Defensive line, IMO, was abysmal. Massive holes almost every play for two talented Maryland RB's to run through. Sometimes the LB's stepped up to make a tough tackle, sometimes they didn't.

Perhaps most important though the defensive line failed to generate ANY PRESSURE AT ALL against a team that gave up 5 sacks and 11 TFL's against UCF last week. Gave the QB plenty of time to work against a depleted secondary and they won that battle to the tune of 9/16 on 3rd down. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OL was good in pass pro and the reason why we see so little push up front is most of the time we are blocking 5 or 6 on 7 or 8. The playcalling has to be better to burn the defenses when they try to do this and so far everybody we have played has done it. We need to attack the edge more with some outside zone or pin and pull plays. Could also use some jet sweep, bubbles, and QB keeping the read option to limit the DE's and OLB's crashing down. Through 4 games we have pretty much ran strictly inside zone and that needs to change to see more success in the running game.

Where was Devers? McCrary? Man I miss Sawvell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, no doubt. Minnesota had no business losing this game. Smith didn't look 100% or at the very least ineffective. Kobe McCrary carried the team on his back two weeks ago with his bruising runs. We needed another big back to soften up the defense. At least get him in the game and see what he can do. Very disappointed with the coaching staff in this game.

Quite simply we got grossly out coached. We had essentially the same players both sides of the ball when we played at Maryland, and won 31-10. Difference they were down to their 3rd string qb. Our gameplan was atrocious. PJ is more worried about "culture" and starting from ground zero with acronyms and holding players accountable by having their fist up on 3rd down than wins and losses than building off a NINE win team from last year.

Yep, our defensive backfield was the exact same today. Also, Maryland's 4 star recruits only had a full year to develop in between. Everything is the same. Good observation.

Yep, our defensive backfield was the exact same today. Also, Maryland's 4 star recruits only had a full year to develop in between. Everything is the same. Good observation.

Weather guy can't bring himself to the truth.

Weather guy can't bring himself to the truth.

The truth that our DBs are nowhere near as good as the last several years especially without Winfield? Which is exactly what Some day was getting at? I'm sorry you live in some sort of fantasy world

Has Devers ever done anything since his first 2 games?

Top Bottom