[POST GAME THREAD] - Maryland defeats Minnesota 31-24

-3 in turnover margin (yes, I'm counting Huff's easy dropped interception as a turnover), an easy missed field goal, two kickoffs out of bounds which drastically changed field position and led to points, dropped passes...and the Gophies still only lose at the end by a touchdown. They'll be fine if they can get healthy.

Ugly game. The team with more talent won. Fix the mistakes and we are fine. Lots of missed tackles, dropped balls, players out of position, etc. We got beat in the trenches.

On to the next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Maryland good or are we bad? Probably a little of both.

Maryland blew out TX and lost its top two QBs, yet handled us. They are a pretty good team. Unless our QB can run once in awhile, we are going to struggle to win a couple of league games. Our offense is too narrow and predictable. We also looked slow against them and they have done better recruiting.

I've always wanted us to fail so today was very sweet.

4 win team....Must be Illinois....no chance next week....Worst D IN years especially if Antoine is out for awhile..I wish we could recruit a dynamic QB just once in my lifetime��

4 win team....Must be Illinois....no chance next week....Worst D IN years especially if Antoine is out for awhile..I wish we could recruit a dynamic QB just once in my lifetime��

They're working on it....

Well that was crushing. Worst defense I have seen the Gophers play since Kill took over. I still believe that Smith is a good coach, but holy crap did they look bad.
It's going to take some time to get his style of players into our system. And I do not understand why he had so much respect for the Maryland throw game.

I place the blame on O and D coordinators. The game plan was woefully unoriginal despite 2 weeks of preparation.
On a flip-note, Tracy Claeys has to be shaking his head at the joke of a game plan by the new Gopher coaching staff.

I the past several years we've been able to count on two things... A consistent running game and a defense that had some timely sacks. Where have they gone?

Hey remember that year we lost to a not great Illinois? We went on to destroy Iowa and play in the Citrus bowl. One game does not make a season, no matter how bad the game is. If we repeat the performance, THEN start getting worried. Every team has their off days.

I the past several years we've been able to count on two things... A consistent running game and a defense that had some timely sacks. Where have they gone?

Smith doesn't believe in safety and corner blitzes, and our o-line coach is ****ty at run blocking.
Smith I understand because when he gets his DE's in here we'll be okay, but there is no excuse for our offensive coordinator, he needs to go.

I'm sorry but I guess Claeys spoiled me when he and his staff called a gem of a game last year when everyone and their dog were suspended and no one wanted our players to even go to the bowl game against a high powered top offense. Claeys and Kill always had a way to pull out a victory in close games, but this staff just doesn't impress me. Sooner or later, if Fleck doesn't win, his culture will go from inspiring to irritating.

To me, this felt like a game we were losing 42-10.

Maryland looked bigger, faster, stronger, etc.

Being tied with a couple minutes left was good.

Sounds like Demetrius Douglas might be out for the year for some reason.

Hey remember that year we lost to a not great Illinois? We went on to destroy Iowa and play in the Citrus bowl. One game does not make a season, no matter how bad the game is. If we repeat the performance, THEN start getting worried. Every team has their off days.

This team does not have the talent to make a run like that....If the coaches are gonna play conservative on D and O then things will never change.

Gophers should have won in State College last year and probably should have won in either Lincoln or Madison. I don't think lack of talent is that much of an excuse.

Gophers should have won in State College last year and probably should have won in either Lincoln or Madison. I don't think lack of talent is that much of an excuse.

Yup, this one is 100% on Fleck and Company.
Definition of a coaching loss.

Post game presser, Coach took full accountability for the loss, but was upbeat and positive.

Still can't believe we have him as our coach.

Yup, this one is 100% on Fleck and Company.

Of course the head coach is ultimately accountable, but there was horrible execution by individuals at times. Most have been mentioned already. For example, if you taped the game, watch the Gophers' middle linebacker on the last Maryland touchdown run....stared at the runner as he ran by like he was his buddy. There were several of those.

I agree that the gameplan was bad, but to me this game comes down to the play by the offensive line and front seven on defense.

Offensive line struggled to get push all day and hardly ever opened a hole. The end result was a dismal 2.6 YPC.

Defensive line, IMO, was abysmal. Massive holes almost every play for two talented Maryland RB's to run through. Sometimes the LB's stepped up to make a tough tackle, sometimes they didn't.

Perhaps most important though the defensive line failed to generate ANY PRESSURE AT ALL against a team that gave up 5 sacks and 11 TFL's against UCF last week. Gave the QB plenty of time to work against a depleted secondary and they won that battle to the tune of 9/16 on 3rd down. Yikes.

I agree that the gameplan was bad, but to me this game comes down to the play by the offensive line and front seven on defense.

Offensive line struggled to get push all day and hardly ever opened a hole. The end result was a dismal 2.6 YPC.

Defensive line, IMO, was abysmal. Massive holes almost every play for two talented Maryland RB's to run through. Sometimes the LB's stepped up to make a tough tackle, sometimes they didn't.

Perhaps most important though the defensive line failed to generate ANY PRESSURE AT ALL against a team that gave up 5 sacks and 11 TFL's against UCF last week. Gave the QB plenty of time to work against a depleted secondary and they won that battle to the tune of 9/16 on 3rd down. Yikes.

Pull them, help them, shift them.
Then blitz them from the corner, give them new looks, and hit them hard.
Our players can't be blamed for ****ty systems and play calls.

Also stop playing our corners 15 yards off the ****ing reciever. Maddening.

This one is gonna hurt late in the year as I think we'll be in well in the mix. Like Illinois loss a few years ago.

All problems aside though, I believe this is still a decent football team and our schedule is favorable.

Breaking news to the pessimists: we still have a good chance to be 5-2 headed into Iowa City. Purdue may be slightly favored, but there's still a decent chance (~ 40%, IMO) we win that game. Michigan State is 50/50 and Illinois is a dumpster fire.

So calm down, the sky is not yet falling on the season.

Pull them, help them, shift them.
Then blitz them from the corner, give them new looks, and hit them hard.
Our players can't be blamed for ****ty systems and play calls.

Agree that the gameplan was pretty bad and the corners should have been closer to the line, but unless we rushed 6 we didn't get any pressure at all. Part of that comes down to simply going up with someone 1v1 and winning a battle.

I was one of the few who picked Maryland to win this game.

It's easy to get caught up in PJ's positive influences with the program, but this is still going to take time like I said.

Agree that the gameplan was pretty bad and the corners should have been closer to the line, but unless we rushed 6 we didn't get any pressure at all. Part of that comes down to simply going up with someone 1v1 and winning a battle.

BS. The B1G is not a ****ing sled drill. You know how many times I've watched Ohio State go an entire game without pulling a guard to help with run blocking? 0.
You can't run your front seven and o-line straight forward every play and expect to win. Pathetic.
I'm not saying they can't turn it around, but this isn't on our damn players.

Is a coach moving up from the MAC to the B1G naive enough to assume that the stuff that works there will work in the B1G?

The big cornerback cushion today reminded me of the Mason years where he had no confidence in his corners and consistently played them with a cushion. Maddening, but necessary maybe? If today's young corners played pressure defense, they might have been toast in short order. Would love to hear the coaches' honest opinion on that.

Top Bottom