Run option

GoldenGophers7

The 1 The only
Reaction score
Why not have Rhoda keep the ball more? There were plenty of opportunities for him to pull it out and run for at least 5 yards instead of the running backs getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone help me on this one. It seems it was open every opportunity after the first quarter?

Someone help me on this one. It seems it was open every opportunity after the first quarter?

I think it's because he's a horrible runner.

He did keep it on the one where he got the penalty. He put a good move on the defender, but he almost got smashed for a 2 yard loss right out of the gate.

He needs to run it to keep it honest I think, but that should be like... twice a game.

Plus if he gets hurt, or even dinged, it's essentially our third string qb coming in to replace him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Plus if he gets hurt, or even dinged, it's essentially our third string qb coming in to replace him.
That didn't work out to badly for Maryland.

It looked like Rhoda was afraid to keep it for whatever reason. I can't believe the coaches were happy with Rhoda's decision to not pull it out and run on a few occasions.

That didn't work out to badly for Maryland.

The coach at Maryland the last couple years tried hard to recruit good QB's.
The head coaches we had started Mitch Leidner for 3 years and the guys we have right now weren't good enough to beat him out.

Two completely different levels of talent here.

I hope the best for all of our players, but keep in mind our starting Qb wasn't even supposed to be on the roster if Claeys had his way.

Which makes me wonder who our QB would be right now if Claeys was coach.

Rhoda said in the presser that he may have had a few more times to keep. He didn't seem to think the keep was as open as it seemed to look. Said he trusts Rodney and Shannon so much that if the decision is close, he leans that way.

Fleck also touched on it. I think he mentioned the keep wasn't open as often as it looked.

Rhoda said in the presser that he may have had a few more times to keep. He didn't seem to think the keep was as open as it seemed to look. Said he trusts Rodney and Shannon so much that if the decision is close, he leans that way.

Fleck also touched on it. I think he also mentioned the keep wasn't open as often as it looked.

I think Fleck was protecting Rhoda here. MD was selling out on Brooks and Smith every time.

I think Fleck was protecting Rhoda here. MD was selling out on Brooks and Smith every time.

Certainly possibly. This is the second week Rhoda has been asked about keeping the ball too often. I think it's pretty obvious to most, they have to mix it up more often to keep the defense from collapsing on the backs.

Fleck also touched on it. I think he mentioned the keep wasn't open as often as it looked.

My god that is just stupidity....you have to run it 6-7 times a game regardless if its there or not....The DEs have to honor that or it is impossible to run the ball up the middle against a stout D.

When your own RB doesn't expect you to keep leading to a fumbled exchange. Wasn't open? It can't get much more open on some of those.

Here's Rhoda's quote:

"Like I've said in the past, there may have been opportunities but it's a real feel thing throughout the game. Like I've stated before, I'm going to make them show me a read. A lot of times its 50-50. If they are showing me something, I may not keep it the first time and if I get that look again, I'm going to keep it. I trust 1 and 23 so much that I want the ball in their hands, unless the first time, the read shows me its a definite keep. It's a lot of stuff that's up for discretion. I'll watch the film and see if there were a couple more times. I'm sure there were, but, it's definitely a feel in the game and just kind of seeing how things play out."

So the truth is out now, he just has no confidence in himself to run the ball. That is disappointing, because I really think he could have helped keep their Defense off balance if he had kept it more. I'm sure the option was there like 30 times today, and he ran it a measly 1 time. It's a confidence thing. "I trust 1 and 23" more so than yourself?

Here's Rhoda's quote:

"Like I've said in the past, there may have been opportunities but it's a real feel thing throughout the game. Like I've stated before, I'm going to make them show me a read. A lot of times its 50-50. If they are showing me something, I may not keep it the first time and if I get that look again, I'm going to keep it. I trust 1 and 23 so much that I want the ball in their hands, unless the first time, the read shows me its a definite keep. It's a lot of stuff that's up for discretion. I'll watch the film and see if there were a couple more times. I'm sure there were, but, it's definitely a feel in the game and just kind of seeing how things play out."

Well he's not reading it right then. A blind man could see he has several opportunities with the ends pinching in.

I will be interested to hear Derek Burns take on this game and in particular Rhoda's "zone reads". Derek is a former Gopher offensive lineman who contributes to the Gopher Gridiron podcast with Ryan Burns. In a recent podcast he stated that many of the plays where fans have been hoping for Rhoda to keep the ball didn't really have a keep option. I am not an Oline/blocking expert and can't remember all the details but it had to do with how the Gophers were blocking these particular plays that involved using the TE's.

Oh. Was hoping the coaches were telling him he couldn't run. This is unwelcome news.

I will be interested to hear Derek Burns take on this game and in particular Rhoda's "zone reads". Derek is a former Gopher offensive lineman who contributes to the Gopher Gridiron podcast with Ryan Burns. In a recent podcast he stated that many of the plays where fans have been hoping for Rhoda to keep the ball didn't really have a keep option. I am not an Oline/blocking expert and can't remember all the details but it had to do with how the Gophers were blocking these particular plays that involved using the TE's.
This.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Top Bottom