All things sky is falling thread....

You are running in circles. What part of our current read option keeps defenses off balance? Maybe if Rhoda kept it once a drive, but he doesn't and the defense doesn't even pay attention to him.

I'm running in circles? My original gripe was that Rhoda wasn't keeping it more on the run option. You make it sound like there were other options that would have been effective against the MD defensive scheme. The run option was there. Rhoda just needed to execute it properly. If he isn't willing or able to execute it, someone else should be in there instead.

I'm running in circles? My original gripe was that Rhoda wasn't keeping it more on the run option. You make it sound like there were other options that would have been effective against the MD defensive scheme. The run option was there. Rhoda just needed to execute it properly. If he isn't willing or able to execute it, someone else should be in there instead.

No the coaches shouldn't call that play. He is our starting QB, our 2nd string is benched and our current backup has never played, you can't say he shouldn't be in there.

No the coaches shouldn't call that play. He is our starting QB, our 2nd string is benched and our current backup has never played, you can't say he shouldn't be in there.

The opportunities with the run option were there as far as I'm concerned. You believe other plays were effective options. I didn't see many options being effective. Obviously, the coaches didn't believe other options would be effective. It looked like Roc kept calling the play pleading with Rhoda to hold it and get chunks of yardage, but Rhoda was scared to or whatever.

Either Rhoda needs to make better reads or someone else needs to take over as this will be the bread and butter play for awhile imo.

The opportunities with the run option were there as far as I'm concerned. You believe other plays were effective options. I didn't see many options being effective. Obviously, the coaches didn't believe other options would be effective. It looked like Roc kept calling the play pleading with Rhoda to hold it and get chunks of yardage, but Rhoda was scared to or whatever.

Either Rhoda needs to make better reads or someone else needs to take over as this will be the bread and butter play for awhile imo.

Got it, classic case of :horse:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Changing QBs to a third string guy most thought would never see any meaningful playing time just to be able to call the same play over and over seems like insanity. But to each their own.

Got it, classic case of :horse:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Changing QBs to a third string guy most thought would never see any meaningful playing time just to be able to call the same play over and over seems like insanity. But to each their own.

We better hope Rhoda learns how to run that play better or other aspects of the offense improve significantly. If neither of these happen, we won't win
more than 2 more games going forward regardless.

The Maryland offensive line dominated and so did the Maryland offense.
The missed catch by Johnson that turned into a interception, the missed field goal, and the Maryland field goal right before Half were all big plays that hurt us.
I haven’t seen the stats but their 3rd down conversion rate must have been high.

Chip Scoggins said it best in today's paper: "Fleck's staff somehow needs to convince Rhoda to keep it. His reluctance to keep the ball in his hands on read-option plays allows defenses to swarm Smith and Brooks without trepidation. Defenses don't have to play honest because there is only one option. The edge looked wide open all game, but Rhoda refused to pull the ball and force the defense to account for him. Smith and Brooks kept slamming into a brick wall, limited to 74 yards combined for the game. The Gophers won't win many games with that formula."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who muttered to themselves or turned to the person next to them yesterday and said "Mitch would have kept that and run for a least 10 yards"

Gophers seemed flat ,not motivated and never got the momentum going in their favor but what do I know?

I have already forgotten about the Gophers laying an egg because the Vikings just laid an egg also. Twins, please don't lay an egg!?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who muttered to themselves or turned to the person next to them yesterday and said "Mitch would have kept that and run for a least 10 yards"

Mitch would have had at least one TD run yesterday, but he isn't the QB anymore. I'm assuming the worry of an injury to is the big reason he isn't keeping it more.

Mitch would have had at least one TD run yesterday, but he isn't the QB anymore. I'm assuming the worry of an injury to is the big reason he isn't keeping it more.

Actually rather Rhoda running the ball on the outside option play, how about pulling the ball and creating a play action pass. The receivers are not necessary blocking on this series. Just doing it one time might help keep the linebackers out of the running lane. Somehow we need to do something besides giving the ball to the running back.

Actually rather Rhoda running the ball on the outside option play, how about pulling the ball and creating a play action pass. The receivers are not necessary blocking on this series. Just doing it one time might help keep the linebackers out of the running lane. Somehow we need to do something besides giving the ball to the running back.

We have one on one opportunities on just about every play. We don't really have a deep burner. I wonder whether that tall freshman with speed (name eludes me) is ready to run some go routes and win some jump balls.

Top Bottom