Isaiah Washington: “I didn’t come here to do anything but start.”

To date, I've started every damn day!

Maybe it's brash and cocky, but I like it. I think he'll elevate other players' games. Players who come in with the attitude that they are happy to learn behind the starters and wait for their opportunities have a harder time cracking the starting lineup.

I like the attitude. But if he's starting, it probably means Nate or Dupree is hurting.

He will start games this year due to small injuries here and there. Will be interesting to see a Mason and Washington backcourt during the game actually.

He will start games this year due to small injuries here and there. Will be interesting to see a Mason and Washington backcourt during the game actually.

Nate came in as a freshman as a natural 2 guard and made himself into a point guard. It will be fun to see him get to play off the ball and be a spot up knock down 3 point shooter

As I said all winter... IW will start. Exactly as he says, he didn't come here to do anything different. It'll happen.

As I said all winter... IW will start. Exactly as he says, he didn't come here to do anything different. It'll happen.

No chance. Just stop. You post a lot of goofy garbage.

IW should start over Dupree. I have no doubt that he will take the starting spot before the conference season starts.

IW should start over Dupree. I have no doubt that he will take the starting spot before the conference season starts.

Not commenting on if I agree or not, but I'm curious what you are basing this on? Hype, highlight videos, pro-am?

No inside info but I could see them looking at a lineup of:

PG - Washington
SG - Mason
G/F - Coffey
F - Murphy
C - Lynch
Bench - Fitzgerald, McBrayer, Harris, Hurt

I would feel pretty good about that lineup. Thin in the front court (Curry is a big loss) but if Washington lives up to the hype that is a deadly 3 guard combo with him Coffey and Mason.

PG - Washington
SG - Mason
G/F - Coffey
F - Murphy
C - Lynch

I would feel pretty good about that lineup. Thin in the front court (Curry is a big loss) but if Washington lives up to the hype that is a deadly 3 guard combo with him Coffey and Mason.

Assuming that Washington can hack it, I love this lineup.

Assuming that Washington can hack it, I love this lineup.

The beauty in that is that you would have 3 strong ball handlers on the court so Washington wouldn't be in a position where he has to bring it up every play and totally run the offense. Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out but really excited for basketball season to get underway.

PG - Washington
SG - Mason
G/F - Coffey
F - Murphy
C - Lynch

Forgetting Konate. He will need to play some key minutes, especially if (when) Lynch gets in foul trouble.

Still tough to see Washington starting over Dupree. I did like Dupree off the bench last year though. Either way, all 3 should see plenty of minutes.

I was a little surprised when Amir Coffey was in the starting lineup from the git go last year, but it turned out to be the right decision. In retrospect, you develop a talent like him by playing him, and you recruit more talent like him by demonstrating that you're going to put players of his caliber on the floor.

Personally i could see Washington starting at PG right away.

My reasoning is:
1. It gets Mason in a better position to work off the ball and become that legit scorer. (At Pg he has to work hard to get his all game, which could lead to some of his slumps)
2. McBrayer looked very good off the bench last year, and we all saw that he shouldn't be a primary ball handler. (Though its not bad at small doses)
3. Sets up next year with McBrayer as the starting 2 and Washington with his 2nd year at PG
4. Regardless of who "Starts" Washington, Mason, and McBrayer are all going to get a ton of minutes. The notion of having a true floor general is going to be very appealing to Pitino.

No matter the case, the Gophers will be set up pretty well with their backcourt this year.

Not commenting on if I agree or not, but I'm curious what you are basing this on? Hype, highlight videos, pro-am?

I don't think Dupree McBrayer is very good as a starter. He was dreadful at times last year which is why Springs started. Dupree is a change of pace off the bench. He attacks well with the ball in his hands.

If he is on the floor with Mason, he has the ball in his hands less. He is not a great distributor therefore if he has the ball in his hands, you're neutralizing our best offensive player (Mason)

Finally, and most importantly, I think IW will be better than him this year. Over the course of 30 games (or so) I'll take IW over Dupree. I know what Dupree is and he isn't a viable starter for a B1G contender/national tournament run type of team.

I don't think Dupree McBrayer is very good as a starter. He was dreadful at times last year which is why Springs started. Dupree is a change of pace off the bench. He attacks well with the ball in his hands.

If he is on the floor with Mason, he has the ball in his hands less. He is not a great distributor therefore if he has the ball in his hands, you're neutralizing our best offensive player (Mason)

Finally, and most importantly, I think IW will be better than him this year. Over the course of 30 games (or so) I'll take IW over Dupree. I know what Dupree is and he isn't a viable starter for a B1G contender/national tournament run type of team.

All of this assuming that McBrayer doesn't make a big leap in year 3. It's not so much that I don't like him as a starter, but I love Dupree off the bench.

Pitino's offense has EVERYONE coming off of ball screens and pick and rolls so whoever brings the ball up is only getting the dribble drive weave action started anyway.

Who the **** cares who the pg is. Nate is a Senior, returning all-conference guard, if he wants the ball in his hand you give it to him. And if Washington deserves the ball at some point next year we hope to God it isn't because Nate fumbled it away, got hurt or something else, we hope it's because the Jelly tastes that damn good.

Dupree deserves to start. Though he does well in that sixth man role and seemed to embrace it. Mason can also spot up off the ball as he proved his freshman year

Dupree played just as well as a starter as he did coming off the bench.

Isaiah is an instant offense guy that scores in spurts. When he's on he's on and he's amazing but when he's off, something that happens a lot, it can get ugly and frustrating. I don't think he'll be consistent enough to start. More suited for a bench role IMO.

Isaiah is an instant offense guy that scores in spurts. When he's on he's on and he's amazing but when he's off, something that happens a lot, it can get ugly and frustrating. I don't think he'll be consistent enough to start. More suited for a bench role IMO.

Not saying you're wrong, but what are you basing this on?

All of this assuming that McBrayer doesn't make a big leap in year 3. It's not so much that I don't like him as a starter, but I love Dupree off the bench.

Dupree is a very valuable player.. Not sure when/how he turned into the new Carlos Morris of Gopherhole.

Saying IW has to start just because you don't think Dupree is and he isn't a viable starter for a B1G contender/national tournament run type of team is laughable.

I'm not sure why you have such a low opinion of Dupree. Pretty much every player in the NCAA is "dreadful at times," and he had a very good sophomore season. It's weird that you already wrote him off after a very promising second season. Do you think he can't improve? As of right now, I think most people would agree he's our 5th best player. Even if he only improves a little bit, he absolutely is a viable starter for a Big 10 championship team as our 5th best player.

I'm not sure why you have such a low opinion of Dupree. Pretty much every player in the NCAA is "dreadful at times," and he had a very good sophomore season. It's weird that you already wrote him off after a very promising second season. Do you think he can't improve? As of right now, I think most people would agree he's our 5th best player. Even if he only improves a little bit, he absolutely is a viable starter for a Big 10 championship team as our 5th best player.

I really dislike his game and decision making. He struggles against pressure and traps. He is a rotation guy but I don't want him starting and being a primary ball handler. He can score and attack. He does well against other teams second units. I also don't think he plays great or even very good defense.

I never said I wrote him off. I said I think IW will take the starting spot by the start of the conference season. Someone asked me to expand on that so I did.

Top Bottom