***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Told my wife I wasn’t going to look at the reaction on here...but had to see if was as apocalyptic as I told her it would be. You guys didn’t disappoint. Ski-U-Mah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah - PJ will be fine. He will say we are young - he'll talk about growing from failure and some other garbage. PJ is unlikely to blame who he should blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, he won't throw the previous' staff's recruiting under the bus.

I think our defense just got out athleted today. Maryland just had too much speed. I thought Rhoda played ok besides that last pick. Just wish they'd ditch the read option. Receivers had a couple key drops and that ball going through Tyler's hands causing a pick was frustrating. And lest be honest, Maryland never should have been a 12-13 point underdog to begin with given their body of work coming in.

Honeymoon is over. Media is going to feast on your dumbass acroynms and silly sayings. Have fun with that.

He dealt with that at western michigan. He's a grown man, he can deal with it.

The run fakes worked to plan and the defensive edge has effectively been dulled because we need to change the culture. Welcome coach brew.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

And we can never know how Claeys or some other coach would have played. Maybe those players would be hurt, or in a different position, or maybe they would have played well. You can never know.

Not sure who else we beat this year. Illinois maybe?
Remember that year we lost to Illinois @ Illinois? Remember how it felt after that game? Remember what we did the next game? Crush Iowa. Remember what bowl game we went to? Citrus Bowl. One game doe not make a season. It's college football, upsets happen, teams under preform and over preform. If we preform like this vs Purdue and MSU then I'll start to get worried.

Told my wife I wasn’t going to look at the reaction on here...but had to see if was as apocalyptic as I told her it would be. You guys didn’t disappoint. Ski-U-Mah.

So you were expecting a loss even though we were 12.5 point favorites? Yeah, we should have expected a loss. Nothing to get worked up about. PJ is making his $3+ million this year, so all's good.

Right, he won't throw the previous' staff's recruiting under the bus.

Sure. Go with that. Again, we are lucky if our kids can tie their own shoes. I'm impressed PJ got them all to wear the same jersey. What more could we expect in his first year.

If you told me we started the season 3-1 with a 7 point loss, I'd be fine. Slightly disappointing since they are all winnable games, but I didn't have the pretense we'd skate through the first half of the schedule. Nor did I think we go 0-5 in the last 5.

So you were expecting a loss even though we were 12.5 point favorites? Yeah, we should have expected a loss. Nothing to get worked up about. PJ is making his $3+ million this year, so all's good.

No, not at all. But some of you are ready to throw the whole season, the coach and every player under the bus over ONE loss in the B1G season...slight overreaction in my book.

Can someone with media connections be sure to ask if Rhoda just doesn't know what the read option is or if the coaches threatened to suspend him if he runs or something?

He ran it once, I think, but looked to have plenty of real estate for a lot more. Where's Croft?

I wonder which 58 players will be handpicked to be team captains at Purdue.

Did you catch when JC13 made a tackle and the announcers said, "that's why he has that C on his jersey".

Listened to PJ with Gaard on KFAN. Blamed turnovers and depth. Never once took any of the blame.

I don't necessarily think they got horribly out coached as this thread seems to believe. I see a bunch of opportunities but the kids didn't make the play. Just off the top of my head INT in the red zone, Rhoda with a high pass but hit the WR in the hands both at fault. Huff dropping the ball on that INT through his hands. That right there is 10 points at least and the game.

Now I do have some legitimate defensive scheme concerns that need to be cleaned up.
- Maryland's offensive game plan seems to be load one side of the field with WR, when we shifted over there, then run to the opposite. But we never adjusted giving more a base look.
- Playing 10 yds off an offense that looks to run a lot of WR plays over the middle. Essentially giving them a free cut.
- Finally defensive line not setting an edge on all those run plays. They wanted the QB, this might be more of an adjustment thing since Couglin and Cashman have no business playing DE in this game, they are LB

Overall the sky is not falling. There are some legitimate things to watch for improvement in the coming weeks. Remember offensively we are changing to a team that actually throws the football a little more of a pro read option attack. It is going to take time.

Worse receivers. Same RB. Same QB.

Right?

No Winfield, Myrick, or McGhee today. That has no affect though. Oh, and Maryland is better. Durkin's 2nd year. They have better overall talent and depth.

As I said there is no way you admit pj got his elite ass outcoached today. Home opener. LOSS.

How so? How would you have coached differently? Would you have thrown less INTs? Maybe blocked better yourself? Maybe you could have defended a 5 yard out better? Maybe you could have ran around Marylands OL better when we were blitzing? Maybe you could have been a DB that could catch a ball that went right through his hands?

It's sad that some of you can't see how much more talented Maryland players are. Their speed and athleticism is significantly better than the Gophers. That can be fixed with only coaching and not recruiting right? Claeys and Kill routinely beat teams with better talent right? :rolleyes:

How so? How would you have coached differently? Would you have thrown less INTs? Maybe blocked better yourself? Maybe you could have defended a 5 yard out better? Maybe you could have ran around Marylands OL better when we were blitzing? Maybe you could have been a DB that could catch a ball that went right through his hands?

It's sad that some of you can't see how much more talented Maryland players are. Their speed and athleticism is significantly better than the Gophers. That can be fixed with only coaching and not recruiting right? Claeys and Kill routinely beat teams with better talent right? :rolleyes:

How about a screen pass? How about a reverse? How about a bubble screen? Just a little creativity instead of the rutm, crap. We are predictable, like we were with Kill and Claeys, IMO.

Man I hope this new staff can recruit QB's. The fact that Rhoda is our best option right now is a total failure at the QB position on the part of the old staff. Rhoda is a guy who should be running a scout team not starting in the Big Ten but he has to because we don't have a better option. As long as he doesn't have to do much he can be ok but when the chips are down he just doesn't have the skill needed to lead the team to victory. Not his fault, he was never supposed to be a great QB and is doing the best he can.

Yet he lead them on the tying drive quite nicely. I agree that the QB position was not handled well by the previous regime. But that tying drive was admirable.

Can you elaborate? Did he throw it up for grabs? Miss wide open WRs more than once? Pretty small sample size to be making sweeping statements is all.

Croft
Buffalo - 0 TD, Rating 102.4, Raw QBR 51.7, Adjusted QBR 46.8
Oregon State - No passes. To your point, a long run, albeit in garbage time.

Rhoda
Buffalo - 1 TD, 1 INT, Rating 140.4, Raw QBR 59.1, Adjusted QBR 54.3
Oregon State - 1 TD, 0 INT, Rating 294.7, Raw QBR 95.2, Adjusted 92.6

Agreed it is a small sample size. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to play two seasons simultaneously to make our decision. Our offense was better with Rhoda based on scoring, and passing stats.

D didn't look good before Winfield went out. As savvy pointed out we played off pretty much all day. Seemed low energy all day day and the second half surge never really materialized.

Top Bottom