***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Listened to PJ with Gaard on KFAN. Blamed turnovers and depth. Never once took any of the blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His culture is going to get old fast...

How so? How would you have coached differently? Would you have thrown less INTs? Maybe blocked better yourself? Maybe you could have defended a 5 yard out better? Maybe you could have ran around Marylands OL better when we were blitzing? Maybe you could have been a DB that could catch a ball that went right through his hands?

It's sad that some of you can't see how much more talented Maryland players are. Their speed and athleticism is significantly better than the Gophers. That can be fixed with only coaching and not recruiting right? Claeys and Kill routinely beat teams with better talent right? :rolleyes:

How about not running the dive play on first down 95 % of the time.

How about a screen pass? How about a reverse? How about a bubble screen? Just a little creativity instead of the rutm, crap. We are predictable, like we were with Kill and Claeys, IMO.

Coaches aren't stupid. They coach to their talent's strengths. The offense hasn't and won't change until Fleck is able to recruit better QBs, WRs, and an OL.

Listened to PJ with Gaard on KFAN. Blamed turnovers and depth. Never once took any of the blame.

He doesn't need to take any of the blame. Maryland had better athletes on the field than we did and some receivers had key drops. Not much he can do about that.

Croft
Buffalo - 0 TD, Rating 102.4, Raw QBR 51.7, Adjusted QBR 46.8
Oregon State - No passes. To your point, a long run, albeit in garbage time.

Rhoda
Buffalo - 1 TD, 1 INT, Rating 140.4, Raw QBR 59.1, Adjusted QBR 54.3
Oregon State - 1 TD, 0 INT, Rating 294.7, Raw QBR 95.2, Adjusted 92.6

Agreed it is a small sample size. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to play two seasons simultaneously to make our decision. Our offense was better with Rhoda based on scoring, and passing stats.

Those are not impressive stats particularly against awful defenses loading up on the run. It's true that Croft MAY be worse at throwing the ball but I don't think we have solid evidence of that. We do have building evidence of an anemic running game with a non-runner at signal caller and a marginal passing game.

Coaches aren't stupid. They coach to their talent's strengths. The offense hasn't and won't change until Fleck is able to recruit better QBs, WRs, and an OL.

This is where I don't agree. Are you saying Smith and Brooks are only capable of RUTM? Ty Johnson is only capable of running a cross pattern? Rhoda is only capable of handing off on the option? No defensive player is capable of sitting in the middle of the field near half time to stop any possible long runs to get Maryland in field goal range?

How about a screen pass? How about a reverse? How about a bubble screen? Just a little creativity instead of the rutm, crap. We are predictable, like we were with Kill and Claeys, IMO.

I don't even want to think about what a screen pass with this O Line would look like yikes

Those are not impressive stats particularly against awful defenses loading up on the run. It's true that Croft MAY be worse at throwing the ball but I don't think we have solid evidence of that. We do have building evidence of an anemic running game with a non-runner at signal caller and a marginal passing game.

I've never said Rhoda is impressive. The sample size is small, I'll grant you that. Our running game is better with Croft, but despite that, our offense was more effective with Rhoda. If Croft wasn't suspended, I would be fine with starting him next game to see how it goes. I'm not advocating it - I'm simply saying they offer different traits, and neither is vastly superior to the other at this point.

I've never said Rhoda is impressive. The sample size is small, I'll grant you that. Our running game is better with Croft, but despite that, our offense was more effective with Rhoda. If Croft wasn't suspended, I would be fine with starting him next game to see how it goes. I'm not advocating it - I'm simply saying they offer different traits, and neither is vastly superior to the other at this point.

Our offense is not effective without a run game.

I don't even want to think about what a screen pass with this O Line would look like yikes

We don't help our o line by running predictable plays. If we had some imagination on offense that kept the opposing defense guessing, our o line would have an advantage and be able to on blocks easier since the d would not know what's coming. Now the d just stacks the box and we plow right into it!! Genius!!

This is where I don't agree. Are you saying Smith and Brooks are only capable of RUTM? Ty Johnson is only capable of running a cross pattern? Rhoda is only capable of handing off on the option? No defensive player is capable of sitting in the middle of the field near half time to stop any possible long runs to get Maryland in field goal range?

Agreed. We have play makers. Blaming current editors players is a way to kick the can and keep the heat off the coach and putting it on the players. I call BS.

Our offense is not effective without a run game.

I agree. Our running game was fine against Oregon State and MTSU when Rhoda was the main QB. I'm not fully disagreeing with your perspective, but:

1.) I can't turn down an argument.
2.) Based on the first couple games, Rhoda looked like the better choice to me - but I saw, and see, the flip side.

I don't keep as close an eye on the message boards as I used to, but what were your thoughts after Oregon State and MTSU?

Smith and Brooks are not fast enough to get to the outside and turn the corner. They've tried outside runs in previous games with little success. Tyler Johnson is the only decent WR we have and he's not a burner either. Who know's about Rhoda? It's possible they've told Rhoda to keep the ball more, but he hasn't. But Rhoda was a walk on for a reason. He's not very good.

How so? How would you have coached differently? Would you have thrown less INTs? Maybe blocked better yourself? Maybe you could have defended a 5 yard out better? Maybe you could have ran around Marylands OL better when we were blitzing? Maybe you could have been a DB that could catch a ball that went right through his hands?

It's sad that some of you can't see how much more talented Maryland players are. Their speed and athleticism is significantly better than the Gophers. That can be fixed with only coaching and not recruiting right? Claeys and Kill routinely beat teams with better talent right? :rolleyes:

Took a very undermanned team into the bowl game and thoroughly outplayed the opponent, who many preached had better talent and speed. How would the Gophers ever stop that speed?

Not my job to coach. PJ's job.

This is a game MN had to win. Loss. Outcoached.

Smith and Brooks are not fast enough to get to the outside and turn the corner. They've tried outside runs in previous games with little success. Tyler Johnson is the only decent WR we have and he's not a burner either. Who know's about Rhoda? It's possible they've told Rhoda to keep the ball more, but he hasn't. But Rhoda was a walk on for a reason. He's not very good.

Not very good and good enough to win a Big 10 road game in his first start.

Should not have drinking this beer
4cecd222f4cc6d35a78a6a41a62c4c49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Took a very undermanned team into the bowl game and thoroughly outplayed the opponent, who many preached had better talent and speed. How would the Gophers ever stop that speed?

Not my job to coach. PJ's job.

This is a game MN had to win. Loss. Outcoached.

Only undermanned at DB yet they still had two SR NFL DBs. How many do they have this year? zero

Watch runs from Smith and Brooks from previous years. Is every big run right up the middle?

A lot of harping about a team losing a game the shouldn't. Correct they shouldn't have lost this game. But according to the odds makers the shouldn't have beat OSU either.

If we want to point to last year, last years teams didn't win a single game the shouldn't have won besides the bowl game. They played as expected. Which is exactly what this team is on pace to do as well.

I'm still confident this is a 5-7 team or 6-6.

He doesn't need to take any of the blame. Maryland had better athletes on the field than we did and some receivers had key drops. Not much he can do about that.

Really, nothing he can do about that? How about a better game plan! Make Maryland have to defend the whole field. When you call plays that go sideline to sideline you have a chance of tiring our the defense. Jet sweeps, sweeps, screen passes, draw plays and more can keep a defense on their heels a bit rather than stuffing the middle every play. C'mon man, teams with so called less talent win a lot, especially at home with two weeks to prepare!

I agree. Our running game was fine against Oregon State and MTSU when Rhoda was the main QB. I'm not fully disagreeing with your perspective, but:

1.) I can't turn down an argument.
2.) Based on the first couple games, Rhoda looked like the better choice to me - but I saw, and see, the flip side.

I don't keep as close an eye on the message boards as I used to, but what were your thoughts after Oregon State and MTSU?

I thought he was throwing to wide open WRs the majority of the time and our RBs were running into plus 1 and 2 boxes leading to tough yards. What did we average, something like 4 yards a carry vs very bad defenses.

Croft wasn't given many series and he seemed to move the ball just fine when in. He didn't throw as much but I don't recall the coverages they gave him in his limited snaps, vs Rhoda.

All I'm saying is Rhoda needs to get better quick, or I'm fine building for next year.

Really, nothing he can do about that? How about a better game plan! Make Maryland have to defend the whole field. When you call plays that go sideline to sideline you have a chance of tiring our the defense. Jet sweeps, sweeps, screen passes, draw plays and more can keep a defense on their heels a bit rather than stuffing the middle every play. C'mon man, teams with so called less talent win a lot, especially at home with two weeks to prepare!

Offense was fine except for Tyler missing the catch allowing for the INT. Defensively, we were in the position to make plays, just didn't.

I thought he was throwing to wide open WRs the majority of the time and our RBs were running into plus 1 and 2 boxes leading to tough yards. What did we average, something like 4 yards a carry vs very bad defenses.

Croft wasn't given many series and he seemed to move the ball just fine when in. He didn't throw as much but I don't recall the coverages they gave him in his limited snaps, vs Rhoda.

All I'm saying is Rhoda needs to get better quick, or I'm fine building for next year.

Agreed, Rhoda needs to be better if he's our starting QB. We averaged 3.3, 4.4, 4.7, and 2.6 yards per rush in the first 4 games. 4.1 overall. It was trending the right direction until today - which is somewhat to be expected given it is a BIG opponent. 2.6 yards per carry won't win you games, and while Rhoda is part of the problem, our O-Line leaves much to be desired, as well.

Agreed, Rhoda needs to be better if he's our starting QB. We averaged 3.3, 4.4, 4.7, and 2.6 yards per rush in the first 4 games. 4.1 overall. It was trending the right direction until today - which is somewhat to be expected given it is a BIG opponent. 2.6 yards per carry won't win you games, and while Rhoda is part of the problem, our O-Line leaves much to be desired, as well.

It's a simple numbers game.

Sure, we have other issues but we are compounding our run game problems by not taking easy yards. Giving to the guy that the defense is crashing on is a wasted down.

Top Bottom