ESPN: Urban Meyer says coaches intentionally lying about violations should be done

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer said Thursday he's in favor of simple and severe penalties for anyone caught lying to the NCAA.

"If you intentionally lie about committing violations, your career is over," Meyer said during a call-in radio show on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus. "You're not suspended for two games (or) some of the silly penalties you have, you can't talk to a recruit for a week and a half or something like that. No. You're finished. That will clean up some things."

Meyer's call for a zero-tolerance policy on deception this week came when he was asked for his thoughts on an FBI investigation that shed some light on the back channels through which college basketball coaches and professional agents pay for players. He lamented the fact that it took the power of federal subpoenas and the threat of time behind bars to make some headway in exposing the inner workings of some of college sports' worst-kept secrets.

Meyer said he didn't fault the NCAA employees for not being able to root out those who undermine their attempts at amateurism because they aren't given strong enough consequences to compel coaches and others in the system to tell the truth. The coach said that players who are found to have lied to NCAA investigators are no longer allowed to play, and coaches should be held to the same standard when it comes to major violations and willful deception.

"I'm not talking about mistakes made when you have a rulebook like this," Meyer said. "But if you intentionally pay a guy money or willfully have a second cell phone to make illegal phone calls, you're done. You can never coach again."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eyer-wants-simple-severe-penalties-lying-ncaa

Go Gophers!!

Okay, It was a few years ago,.. but I do what I always do with Gopher Football games. Found out that I didn't have to work, so I drove over to Dinkeytown to park, then walked...and paid the most that I've ever paid for a ticket from a scalper. Turns out, I was right behind the Ohio State bench. It was super cool. Got to watch Urban Meyer. He was awesome! He was intense, but his assistant coaches were even more so. There was this one older coach was out there in a freaking T shirt. It was about 30 degrees. I was in a winter coat. This old coach in a t shirt set the tone for the game for OSU. He let these kids know that cold does not matter....David Cobb looked right at Urban Meyer, after a 50 yard gain, and gave him the quarter inch sign. After that, I knew Cobb was bad ass. We lost the game, not for lack of effort, but for lack of talent. The athletes that Ohio State had were better....but, Minnesota wasn't that far behind. I really think that PJ can turn Minnesota into a powerhouse!

per ESPN:

Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer said Thursday he's in favor of simple and severe penalties for anyone caught lying to the NCAA.

"If you intentionally lie about committing violations, your career is over," Meyer said during a call-in radio show on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus. "You're not suspended for two games (or) some of the silly penalties you have, you can't talk to a recruit for a week and a half or something like that. No. You're finished. That will clean up some things."

Meyer's call for a zero-tolerance policy on deception this week came when he was asked for his thoughts on an FBI investigation that shed some light on the back channels through which college basketball coaches and professional agents pay for players. He lamented the fact that it took the power of federal subpoenas and the threat of time behind bars to make some headway in exposing the inner workings of some of college sports' worst-kept secrets.

Meyer said he didn't fault the NCAA employees for not being able to root out those who undermine their attempts at amateurism because they aren't given strong enough consequences to compel coaches and others in the system to tell the truth. The coach said that players who are found to have lied to NCAA investigators are no longer allowed to play, and coaches should be held to the same standard when it comes to major violations and willful deception.

"I'm not talking about mistakes made when you have a rulebook like this," Meyer said. "But if you intentionally pay a guy money or willfully have a second cell phone to make illegal phone calls, you're done. You can never coach again."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eyer-wants-simple-severe-penalties-lying-ncaa

Go Gophers!!

Uuuuummmmm, just wondering how some football players can afford fancy cars on their stipends albeit used ones: https://totalfratmove.com/alabama-football-is-the-best-car-dealership-in-the-country/

Usually the guy saying stuff like this is the guy that's guilty and tries this diversionary tactic. With the fan base and boosters that Urban has had at Florida and now tOSU I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he knows something and is trying said tactic. Certainly could be wrong though, as this is Gopherhole where speculation rules supreme!

Interesting that he used the word "intentionally". I understand what he means in this unfolding BBall situation...it also sets up plausible deniability.

Interesting that he used the word "intentionally". I understand what he means in this unfolding BBall situation...it also sets up plausible deniability.
He intentionally used the word intentionally. Meyer is good at wordsmithing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Usually the guy saying stuff like this is the guy that's guilty and tries this diversionary tactic. With the fan base and boosters that Urban has had at Florida and now tOSU I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he knows something and is trying said tactic. Certainly could be wrong though, as this is Gopherhole where speculation rules supreme!

The timing of Urban quitting on Florida because he was supposedly tired of coaching... only to take a similar job months later is very telling. It seems pretty obvious he became aware of the fact that third-parties paying SEC players was rampant (including players on his team). Remember that scandal and how it quietly went away with no SEC teams being penalized or even investigated? It seems pretty obvious Urban was looped-in on things he was not comfortable with, so he left.

Easy to say that when the NCAA has no power to supeona phone records or emails that might prove someone is lying. Right now unless a disgruntled person leaks info to the NCAA they have almost zero investigative power.

The reality is that this is probably the only way to clean up the system but it will never happen.

Pressure to win is too high these days for coaches not to bend/break/stretch the rules in a lot of cases. They make great money now but also know that one bad year can get you fired. Best way to avoid a bad year is to have the best players you can get out there. To get those players you have to go up against other top programs. For most of those game changing top athletes education is not something that factors into their college choice. It is all about the prestige of the school and what they are offering up front and behind the scenes.

It is fun to pretend that the system is clean and everything is above board but we all know it isn't. This FBI probe is blowing the lid off of some of it in a sport like Basketball that is exceptionally dirty as you just need 1 player at times to win a championship but it is foolish to think similar things are not happening in football. Much harder to buy a championship in football but there are certainly teams out there attempting to do just that.

Here is something interesting from 2014.

Meet The Bag Man by Steven Godfrey, SB Nation 2014

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

That's a great article. I don't doubt that goes on, but I wonder how widespread it is.

In both basketball and football I want to believe that most schools aren't caught up in the nasty underbelly. I mean, it's one thing to "take care of" players who are going to help you win a championship. But you can probably finish eighth in your conference without cheating. And maybe you finish eighth because you don't cheat.

You never know unless someone tells all. It appears that it is deeply entrenched in some programs and in certain parts of the country that are recruiting hotbeds.

It is usually lower tier teams that get nailed to the wall when they try to cheat. They must be not very good at cheating. It appears some of the powerhouse programs seem to have built-in immunity and their bag men have a well-established network and tactics.

Look at UNC BB. Will the NCAA give UNC a stiff penalty?

The reality is that this is probably the only way to clean up the system but it will never happen.

Pressure to win is too high these days for coaches not to bend/break/stretch the rules in a lot of cases. They make great money now but also know that one bad year can get you fired. Best way to avoid a bad year is to have the best players you can get out there. To get those players you have to go up against other top programs. For most of those game changing top athletes education is not something that factors into their college choice. It is all about the prestige of the school and what they are offering up front and behind the scenes.

It is fun to pretend that the system is clean and everything is above board but we all know it isn't. This FBI probe is blowing the lid off of some of it in a sport like Basketball that is exceptionally dirty as you just need 1 player at times to win a championship but it is foolish to think similar things are not happening in football. Much harder to buy a championship in football but there are certainly teams out there attempting to do just that.

Ole Miss. Other middling teams that had elite recruiters like Cal a few years ago (that guy went to WA under Sark). It's probably easier to spot historically mediocre teams that all of a sudden start landing a bunch of blue chippers. The Blue Bloods are also competing for the "sure thing" elites and are surely dirty but any top administrator, politician, or coach worth their salt has layers of bureaucracy between them and the actual movers and shakers to ensure plausible deniability. Nothing written down, "understandings" on what needs to be done.

I'd love to see some intrepid journalist go deep underover and blow up some of this stuff. Or the FBI.

Top Bottom