STrib: Gophers won't face many – if any – top quarterbacks this season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Sept. 30 vs. Maryland: Max Bortenschlager

⊲ Third-stringer (starter, backup injured) threw two interceptions, including a pick-six, last week.

Oct. 7 at Purdue: David Blough

⊲ Junior had rough game in loss to Michigan (5 of 13, 32 yards) and is fighting a shoulder injury.

Oct. 14 vs. Michigan St.: Brian Lewerke

⊲ First-year starter missed on 20 throws in loss to Notre Dame but has been effective in other games.

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-won-t-face-many-if-any-top-quarterbacks-this-season/448293043/

Go Gophers!!

It is pretty amazing how they are being mowed down one after the other. Stockstill, Pigrome, Hill, Blough, Speight. Lewerke - unknown but erratic. Chase Crouch hasn't impressed. Tanner Lee is out of his league. Hornibrook has been pretty but the most talented QB we will face this year will be Nate Stanley. #SpecialSeason #ItsHappening

Hornibrook threw 18/19 and 4 TDs against BYU. The 1 incompletion was a dropped pass. That's pretty good QB play.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Hornibrook threw 18/19 and 4 TDs against BYU. The 1 incompletion was a dropped pass. That's pretty good QB play.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

It is, but if we're going to asterisk what we've done vs poor competition we have to look at the poor competition Wisconsin has faced. I am speculating but I doubt he's turned into Aaron Rodgers over the offseason. We'll see. I would guess the poor competition he's faced is loading the box leaving a lot of open grass for Hornibrook. Big Ten competition will be stiffer.

Utah State 74th overall S&P+
Florida Atlantic Fightin' Kiffins 82nd
BYU 89th

It is, but if we're going to asterisk what we've done vs poor competition we have to look at the poor competition Wisconsin has faced. I am speculating but I doubt he's turned into Aaron Rodgers over the offseason. We'll see. I would guess the poor competition he's faced is loading the box leaving a lot of open grass for Hornibrook. Big Ten competition will be stiffer.

Utah State 74th overall S&P+
Florida Atlantic Fightin' Kiffins 82nd
BYU 89th

You need to recall that these teams statistical rankings are in a large part due to Wisconsin beating them. Also, very few QB's can complete 18 of 19 in warm ups with no one playing defense. Agree though he has not morphed into Aaron Rodgers overnight. He's a soph so he can get better.

You need to recall that these teams statistical rankings are in a large part due to Wisconsin beating them. Also, very few QB's can complete 18 of 19 in warm ups with no one playing defense. Agree though he has not morphed into Aaron Rodgers overnight. He's a soph so he can get better.

No, they're not. Two 1-3 teams and a 2-2 team. They're not good. The Wisconsin games are part of the formula but not close to the majority. In fact Connelly is still using data from 2016 for a couple more weeks.

18/19 is more impressive IMO because it likely means no drops. When I watched their Utah State game nobody could catch outside of Fumagali. Guess they found a receiver, or two during BYU.

Top Bottom