Shipley: Rick Pitino just gave the Gophers something else to work through

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

Well, this is awkward.

We all loved it when the Hall of Fame coach showed up to watch his son coach at Williams Arena, but now what? It’s been a while since Rick Pitino has been considered a paragon of virtue in the dirty world of college basketball, but he became the personification of everything wrong with it on Wednesday.

The University of Minnesota, where Pitino’s son Richard has righted a lilting ship, has some thinking to do.

Will the U save a courtside seat for their young coach’s besmirched father, welcome him to wander the new team offices and enjoy having a shadow head coach with two national titles under his belt? Or would Rick Pitino’s presence in Dinkytown be akin to Dennis Hopper showing up drunk to the big Hickory game?

If Rick Pitino were to be directly implicated in what might be the mother of all college basketball scandals, legally or by the NCAA, it might be more than just awkward to have him around Williams Arena.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/2...e-the-gophers-something-else-to-work-through/

Go Gophers!!

Well Shipley, I disagree. If Rick wants to watch his son at the U, he most certainly can. And I hope he does. I suppose you're one of those pukes that have never done anything wrong. I think you should just STFU.

Well Shipley, I disagree. If Rick wants to watch his son at the U, he most certainly can. And I hope he does. I suppose you're one of those pukes that have never done anything wrong. I think you should just STFU.

Shipley just another Iowa grad who had to come to Minneapolis to get a decent job. He's one of the most biased and negative media members here.

Shipley is a garbage writer without a brain or a clue. He should be ignored at all times.

Agree, its idiotic to suggest a father isn't welcome to watch and participate in his son's life.

It's ridiculous to suggest a father can't watch a game.
He hasn't been banned from coaching (yet) despite his firing.
Why can he not be a spectator?

Do we have to keep fired coaches at least 100 feet from any NCAA basketball game for some reason or from any basketball recruit / player?

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Pretty sure we clap for Clem when he comes out at Gopher games. I think we can ignore Rick Pitino even though it much fresher.

A father should be allowed to watch his son's games sounds nice but it's not that simple. Richard isn't in little league. He's a B1G coach and he knows that anything that distracts from the team, the games and moving into the new facility is very unhelpful, especially when it is avoidable. Rick sitting in the stands while in the eye of the biggest basketball storm in a long time would create a media frenzy that the team doesn't want. The father and son can and should support each other privately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A father should be allowed to watch his son's games sounds nice but it's not that simple. Richard isn't in little league. He's a B1G coach and he knows that anything that distracts from the team, the games and moving into the new facility is very unhelpful, especially when it is avoidable. Rick sitting in the stands while in the eye of the biggest basketball storm in a long time would create a media frenzy that the team doesn't want. The father and son can and should support each other privately.

How can anyone possibly disagree with this? It's not a simple matter of, "everyone makes mistakes". This guy is under federal investigation, but the people in this thread think it's still appropriate to welcome this guy with open arms? Do you really want to run the risk of people booing Rick, and humiliating Richard while he's trying to simply focus on his team? I for one was uncomfortable with Rick Pitino BEFORE this most recent news. I'm sure that Rick will do the right thing and stay away, realizing that his presence is most clearly unwanted.

Eloquently stated, Jamiche, and it should be common sense for Rick to stay away.

Maybe Rick should hide up in the corner section of the second deck, last row? Watch from the shadows?

+1

Maybe Rick should hide up in the corner section of the second deck, last row? Watch from the shadows?

Just like "Shooter" did before Norman Dale named him an assistant at Hickory.

DennisHopper-Hoosiers-Shooter.png

Go Hickory!!

Just like "Shooter" did before Norman Dale named him an assistant at Hickory.

DennisHopper-Hoosiers-Shooter.png

Go Hickory!!

Well wouldn't the mirrored progression to be Rich offering Rick an assistant's job, hoping to sober him up? Can't wait for the games that Richard gets tossed out of the game on purpose so Rick can take over

I personally don't want Rick anywhere near us. Minnesota already has a hard enough time recruiting top talent to our state let alone now having a coach the last name Pitino after this whole mess. It doesn't matter the degree, Little Richard is going to have a more difficult time gaining trust from recruits and their parents after this and having his dad around isn't something that I would want and the standard Minnesotan would want. I don't care if he's a HOF coach and a national champion. Daddy can watch on TV.

I mean are people on really that dumb and don't think Rick knows he needs so stay away for a year until this blows over a bit

I mean are people on really that dumb and don't think Rick knows he needs so stay away for a year until this blows over a bit

Making good choices doesn't seem to be a strength of Rick's. He has so much ego I'll be stunned if he doesn't show up once or twice this season. Hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom