It's gone from bad to worse for Rick

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Not good.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He done!

Huge awakening here that big time college sports is still dirty

Per ESPN
...two Adidas employees involved in the scheme were having difficulty getting the money, they wanted to funnel the payments through Augustine's AAU program, which was sponsored by Adidas. At one point during the conversation in the hotel room, according to FBI documents, Augustine allegedly said, "No one swings a bigger [expletive] than [Coach-2] at [Adidas]" and added "all [Coach-2] has to do is pick up the phone and call somebody, [and say], 'These are my guys, they're taking care of us.'"

"No one swings a bigger [expletive] than [Coach-2] at [Adidas]"

Should there be a Karen Sypher joke inserted (pun not really intended) here?

All of this is a shame. With any luck Pitino will come clean (pun not really intended) and bring down the whole system.

Did anyone think it wasn’t?

Probably not any of us, but take a look at the message boards at Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. and you'll see an unending belief that everybody else is cheating except their respective, beloved blue-blood programs.

A whole lot of them are utterly convinced their programs are as pure as driven snow, even UNC, which is coming off academic fraud on an epic level. All the more reason why the FBI needs to hammer each and any program, no matter who they are, if they're involved.

I have a coworker who attended Kansas and is a big fan. He said he's nervous. Apparently KU just signed a very lucrative Adidas extension, and if you look at the recent KU stars like Andrew Wiggins, nearly all signed Adidas contracts in the NBA.

My coworker's view is: "Yea, we probably cheated, but so did every big school. Doesn't the FBI have bigger crimes to investigate, and what are the actual crimes here?" I just smile and say, sorry, as a school that seems to lose out to most big name players, I'm grabbing the popcorn and going to enjoy the show. Now, I do admit to being a bit nervous that Richard may have learned some crooked ways from pop's. However, my prayer is Rick has told his son, "Don't get caught up in this mess. It's too late for me Richard, I'm down a path of no return."

Now, I do admit to being a bit nervous that Richard may have learned some crooked ways from pop's. However, my prayer is Rick has told his son, "Don't get caught up in this mess. It's too late for me Richard, I'm down a path of no return."

I envision Rick having this conversation with Richard before the son entered the family business: "I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life - I don't apologize - to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize - that's my life - but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the strings. Senator Pitino; Governor Pitino. Something. Well, it wasn't enough time, Richard. It wasn't enough time."

I envision Rick having this conversation with Richard before the son entered the family business: "I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life - I don't apologize - to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize - that's my life - but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the strings. Senator Pitino; Governor Pitino. Something. Well, it wasn't enough time, Richard. It wasn't enough time."

I flashed back to that exact same scene from The Godfather when I read that post as well.

"Another pezzonovante..."

The song does say " I bid farewell to old Kentucky", which Rick once did.
It also says he'll take the north bound train...
So, when is Papa Pitino moving in to a condo in Edina? [emoji41]
He may have allegedly broke a few laws, but I still like those snarky Italians!

Yup. Here he comes! I would welcome Rick Pitino to help his son...as long as it is within the rules! The old curmudgeons on here that are all worried about how it looks should examine D1 college sports more carefully. Come on up Rick! I'll have a whiskey with you!

We need the Nick Nolte speach that he gave at the end of his movie "Bluechips", it is classically appropriate here.

Nah, I was thinking more like this one from Jackie Brown

These aren't mobsters we're talking about. Put the squeeze on these guys and they'll sing like birds.

If he's "coach 2," then the FBI considers him (at least for now) outside the lines. Thus, I'd venture that Rick did not break any laws, and was fired due to perceptual issues.

Yup. Here he comes! I would welcome Rick Pitino to help his son...as long as it is within the rules! The old curmudgeons on here that are all worried about how it looks should examine D1 college sports more carefully. Come on up Rick! I'll have a whiskey with you!

This is really stupid. You should never give anyone advice on any subject, to anyone ever.

Uhm....never mind.:rolleyes:

"It is too late for me son..."

This is really stupid. You should never give anyone advice on any subject, to anyone ever.

Haha! Another self righteous, holier than thou Gopher fan. It was meant as a joke, but since you got your panties in a wad, I will expand. When, not if, but when Rick Pitino shows up to watch his son coach basketball, and fans like you start to boo him, don't expect Richard to stick around and create a dynasty. What's the old saying? Something about blood being thicker than maybe the U of M coaching job. Be careful what you wish for.

Haha! Another self righteous, holier than thou Gopher fan. It was meant as a joke, but since you got your panties in a wad, I will expand. When, not if, but when Rick Pitino shows up to watch his son coach basketball, and fans like you start to boo him, don't expect Richard to stick around and create a dynasty. What's the old saying? Something about blood being thicker than maybe the U of M coaching job. Be careful what you wish for.

Dude, he's a badger fan.

I have a coworker who attended Kansas and is a big fan. He said he's nervous. Apparently KU just signed a very lucrative Adidas extension, and if you look at the recent KU stars like Andrew Wiggins, nearly all signed Adidas contracts in the NBA.

My coworker's view is: "Yea, we probably cheated, but so did every big school. Doesn't the FBI have bigger crimes to investigate, and what are the actual crimes here?" I just smile and say, sorry, as a school that seems to lose out to most big name players, I'm grabbing the popcorn and going to enjoy the show. Now, I do admit to being a bit nervous that Richard may have learned some crooked ways from pop's. However, my prayer is Rick has told his son, "Don't get caught up in this mess. It's too late for me Richard, I'm down a path of no return."

Ahh you gotta love that line. "Don't the cops got a bigger crime to investigate? Same thing half the rummies say to the cop when they get busted for drunk driving.

Top Bottom