Road tripping to Iowa...

bott12

Reaction score
I'm taking my rv to Iowa. 30 ft motorhome. I've never been to a game there, first time rving to a football game. I want to go down Friday, stay til Sunday morning. Can somebody suggest where to park and tailgate (same spot) when to get tickets etc. I really need to have a plan on where to go. Thank you for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm taking my rv to Iowa. 30 ft motorhome. I've never been to a game there, first time rving to a football game. I want to go down Friday, stay til Sunday morning. Can somebody suggest where to park and tailgate (same spot) when to get tickets etc. I really need to have a plan on where to go. Thank you for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to every Minnesota game at Kinnick since 2001. Obviously I haven't seen a win yet. The Finkbine golf course is really good spot to tailgate. Also many houses in the area are set up for tailgates and will take cars first come first serve. Hopefully its a 230 game at the earliest.

I've been to every Minnesota game at Kinnick since 2001. Obviously I haven't seen a win yet. The Finkbine golf course is really good spot to tailgate. Also many houses in the area are set up for tailgates and will take cars first come first serve. Hopefully its a 230 game at the earliest.

My advice would be to go to the Penn State"gopherhole" Forum.(don't know what to call the site, but there must be one). The reason I say this is that Penn State fans are notorious for following their team in motorhomes/rvs. And they were just in Iowa city lastt week. Hopes this helps.

I echo this. A bunch of us went the two years ago and Finkbine was an excellent tailgate experience. Also helped it was a night game and during the day it was like mid-70's and sunny out. We met some Hawkeye fans the year before "bar-gating" in the BWW's parking lot who invited us to join them if we ever came to Iowa City and I can say it was an awesome experience. The vast majority of Hawkeye fans we encountered that day were pretty great to us.

A few years ago we took the motorhome down for a game. I strongly urge you to scour Craigslist for an RV pass. They are hard to come by, but it will allow you to park in either the Dental School lot or Kinnick Stadium lot. You can pull in on Friday night after 7:00PM and don't have to leave until Sunday at Noon.

It was a really fun time. Hop the Cambus Red Route to down town and hit the bars across from the Mall and main under grad campus area. It is a Ped Mall with a bunch of places to eat and drink. Then talk the Blue route back to the parking lot up to 1:00AM. We used to call the 1:00AM run the Drunk Bus.

Kinnick is one of the best places in the Big Ten to watch a game. Great atmosphere, stands are super close to the stadium, etc. Really puts Camp Randall to shame. And Iowa City itself is a blast and super fun college town to party in.

This will be by 5th Gopher game in IC (05, 09, 12, 15); really want to see a win this time.

Don't speed on the Interstate through Cedar Rapids. It's a photo enforced speed trap by CR. It's a moneymaker.

Don't speed on the Interstate through Cedar Rapids. It's a photo enforced speed trap by CR. It's a moneymaker.

The speedtrap is no joke!

Looking forward to the trip to Iowa City again, especially if we get another night game like two years ago. It is Halloween weekend (or closest thing to it) and should be quite the entertaining tailgate. Our group of ten is discussing the costume theme right now.

The speedtrap is no joke!

Looking forward to the trip to Iowa City again, especially if we get another night game like two years ago. It is Halloween weekend (or closest thing to it) and should be quite the entertaining tailgate. Our group of ten is discussing the costume theme right now.

Careful, don't know about Iowa fans, but I traveled to Illinois with my brother and our GFs. My brother and his GF dressed up in costumes and were literally the ONLY people in costume. They did make a little kid's day though.

Careful, don't know about Iowa fans, but I traveled to Illinois with my brother and our GFs. My brother and his GF dressed up in costumes and were literally the ONLY people in costume. They did make a little kid's day though.

I don't think we have to worry about that in Iowa City!

If you need directions to Iowa City: head South til' you smell it; then East until you step in it!

I've been to three games in Iowa. I've only been to games at Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - Iowa is by far and away the best game day atmosphere. The people have been nothing short of great. I feel like the ones that come to Minneapolis are far different than the ones I've encountered in Iowa City. Never been there in an RV, but have parked in the golf course, in someone's lawn, and the third time parking ramp and tailgated with work acquaintances in the parking lot outside the stadium. All have been great times.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom