Pat Forde: Louisville should be given death penalty if bombshell allegations are true

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo's Pat Forde:

he NCAA death penalty, the much-discussed but 30-years-dormant nuclear option of college sports, is about to make a comeback.

Louisville basketball, one of the most successful in history on the court and for decades the most lucrative hoops program in America, prepare for your demise.

The program should be shut down, if the bombshell allegations announcement of allegations Tuesday prove to be true. If that doesn’t happen, the NCAA is useless.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs...hell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html

Go Gophers!!

So thats at least six major schools involved? Death penalty for all? That could get really ugly

So thats at least six major schools involved? Death penalty for all? That could get really ugly

The Louisville situation is different than the other schools in trouble since they are already on probation due to the hooker scandal. That's what makes this latest $100K payment such a seismic issue for them.

Go Gophers!!

The Louisville situation is different than the other schools in trouble since they are already on probation due to the hooker scandal. That's what makes this latest $100K payment such a seismic issue for them.

Go Gophers!!

Got it.

The NCAA "Death Penalty" is largely a fallacy, having been leveled just once in Division I in the last 30 years. Basketball's cash flow is far too important to the NCAA to kill off one of its legendary programs, not to mention the broadcasting partners behind March Madness (CBS, TBS) and the ACC (ESPN, Raycom), who would flex their considerable financial muscles with the NCAA. Schools have survived murder and rape scandals (Baylor), massive cash payments to players (Michigan and USC), and academic improprieties (Minnesota and North Carolina) without programs being cut. Louisville basketball will not get the death penalty. No chance.

The NCAA "Death Penalty" is largely a fallacy, having been leveled just once in Division I in the last 30 years. Basketball's cash flow is far too important to the NCAA to kill off one of its legendary programs, not to mention the broadcasting partners behind March Madness (CBS, TBS) and the ACC (ESPN, Raycom), who would flex their considerable financial muscles with the NCAA. Schools have survived murder and rape scandals (Baylor), massive cash payments to players (Michigan and USC), and academic improprieties (Minnesota and North Carolina) without programs being cut. Louisville basketball will not get the death penalty. No chance.

It's a bit of a vague notion. Where's the line for 'death penalty'? Having to suspend the program? Having a TV/media ban? What was done to the U was pretty close to a death penalty in its effect. It took a decade to really recover. Obviously it won't take a Louisville as long.

When we talk of tv ban, I would think we should add no tv income also that they get during that particular time.

What is worse...paying a few elite players or hundreds of fraudulent degrees with fake classes over a decade? NCAA is dead to me.

If your team doesn't get disbanded it isn't the death penalty. Look at SMU in the '80s and tell me whether Louisville is on a par with that. So far it sounds like a definite yes.

This is a bit different situation since, you know, the FBI is involved and involves multiple upon multiple schools. We haven't even seen the extent of everything yet.

For those of you keeping closer tabs on this than I am... are there any non-adidas schools being pulled into this? Am I too simplistic to be determining that Minnesota should be safely on the outside of this multi-school scandal, being a Nike school?

If Penn st. Didn't get the death penalty for harboring child abusers. I find it hard to believe anyone else will ever get it.

Too much money involved to give Louisville the Death Penalty, it sadly just aint going to happen

This strikes me as a ridiculous comment by Forde. I understand that hyperbole sells, but what evidence is there that the NCAA would harshly punish a major school?

Now, is there any evidence that the NCAA will not punish major programs? Ding, ding, ding.

Then he follows it up with, if it doesn't happen, "the NCAA is useless". Duh. Is he new to the game?

Ok - complaint over.

Top Bottom