Pioneer Press: Expect creativity when it comes to Gophers’ football uniforms

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The variations are expected to continue coach P.J. Fleck’s era at Minnesota — they haven’t revealed what they will wear for Saturday’s Big Ten opener against Maryland — but their style will fall within some parameters.

“I don’t think you’ll ever see anything too wild,” Fleck said Tuesday. “You know, you’re not going to see us get out of school colors and do weird things like that, things that don’t match.

“… In terms of when you start to see alternate uniforms this year, and then in the future, you’re going to see a lot of things maybe you haven’t seen before.”

“I think it’s fun. (It’s) a different era now with the kids with their smartphones,” Fleck said. “They flip, and it’s old news. It’s boring now. ‘What else you got? What is going to stimulate my mind?’ ”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/2...y-when-it-comes-to-gophers-football-uniforms/

Go Gophers!!

Fleck clearly is picking up on the fan base's finickiness there with his first line.

This guy gets it as many players want to mix it up a bit as to the uniforms. Times have change and Fleck is adapting to it.

The Equipment dude, Kyle Gergley, said on Ski U Mah Weekly that they would probably announce the combo on Thursday.

per Greder:

The variations are expected to continue coach P.J. Fleck’s era at Minnesota — they haven’t revealed what they will wear for Saturday’s Big Ten opener against Maryland — but their style will fall within some parameters.

“I don’t think you’ll ever see anything too wild,” Fleck said Tuesday. “You know, you’re not going to see us get out of school colors and do weird things like that, things that don’t match.

“… In terms of when you start to see alternate uniforms this year, and then in the future, you’re going to see a lot of things maybe you haven’t seen before.”

“I think it’s fun. (It’s) a different era now with the kids with their smartphones,” Fleck said. “They flip, and it’s old news. It’s boring now. ‘What else you got? What is going to stimulate my mind?’ ”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/2...y-when-it-comes-to-gophers-football-uniforms/

Go Gophers!!

Does this mean no anthracite? I was hoping they'd bring it back every once and awhile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that there were plans to bring it back this year? I thought maybe they were gonna do it for the Michigan game since that is when they wore the anthracite jerseys last.

Does this mean no anthracite? I was hoping they'd bring it back every once and awhile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that there were plans to bring it back this year? I thought maybe they were gonna do it for the Michigan game since that is when they wore the anthracite jerseys last.

Michigan game is on road and they wear their blue jerseys at Big House. Two dark jerseys would not be enough contrast so likely not gonna happen.

I don't know that I'd say that outright - anthracite is a pretty neutral color - it still (at least somewhat) showcased the real school colors. I think he's saying they wouldn't have a pink jersey for breast cancer awareness or purple and gold to celebrate the Vikings or something like that. I mean, technically white is not a school color either.

That said, I doubt it'd be Michigan since they'd have to wear "light"/contrasting uniforms being the road team. Probably too close to the blue of MI.

This is what the kids like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel Zubaz pants on the near horizon. Or maybe pants that mimic the stripes on the overalls the kids wear.

I don't know that I'd say that outright - anthracite is a pretty neutral color - it still (at least somewhat) showcased the real school colors. I think he's saying they wouldn't have a pink jersey for breast cancer awareness or purple and gold to celebrate the Vikings or something like that. I mean, technically white is not a school color either.

That said, I doubt it'd be Michigan since they'd have to wear "light"/contrasting uniforms being the road team. Probably too close to the blue of MI.

Black (or some variation) is practically an unofficial, official school color for just about every school, kind of like white. After all, they have worn black shoes in the past, the lettering on the programs are black, the scoreboard background is black, etc... lol

I would like to see these:
08cb4dd99957475ec7fc31a890726fd4.jpg

Anxious to see what this week brings.

My favorite so far was the all-white, but that's just me, and many people on here think my opinions suck.

How about wearing our home uniforms at some point this year?

What is your conception of what the home uniform is? Please note that I asked for what your conception is, as by definition the home uniform is the uniform worn at a home game, and therefore we have twice worn our home uniforms this year.

What is your conception of what the home uniform is? Please note that I asked for what your conception is, as by definition the home uniform is the uniform worn at a home game, and therefore we have twice worn our home uniforms this year.

You are literally correct...

MMG color combo as post #17 pointed out. Been the most consistent home uni color combo for the past 40 years, save the Wacker years.

http://www.gopherjerseys.com/uni-history.html

http://www.gopherjerseys.com/quick-history.html

They are celebrating the 1967 team this weekend. Maybe we'll see throwbacks

They are celebrating the 1967 team this weekend. Maybe we'll see throwbacks

I would LOVE to see some true throwbacks and not just the throwback helmets. I can't even remember the last time we wore a throwback jersey. Was it during the BrewDawg Era?

I would LOVE to see some true throwbacks and not just the throwback helmets. I can't even remember the last time we wore a throwback jersey. Was it during the BrewDawg Era?

Mase did it in one of his last years...looking for a photo to post.

I, for one, will not be impressed until actual gopher pelts are incorporated into the uniform.

It always bothered me a bit when the football program could never settle on one design and form an identity like Michigan, Ohio St, etc…(heck even Wisconsin) that would last for years.The “Brick by Brick/Nike” design of the last few years seemed like we were finally headed in that direction. I liked the uniforms, the colors, the matte helmets, the font, etc.
I’ll admit I was a little ticked when I heard Fleck would be changing things up in the future and start doing what he did at WMU. I envisioned wild fonts and cartoonish Gophers on helmets (which we all know happened), odd colors and crazy stripes. But, you know, after the last game I finally came around and decided that it doesn’t matter. Maybe that will be the identity of Gopher football, just like Oregon. Plus, I’m reaching middle age now and made up my mind that I’m not going to be an old curmudgeon and scoff at anything new and non-traditional. It’s what the younger folks like now so I, and others, need to deal with it. Just win and no one will care.

Top Bottom