Pioneer Press: Expect creativity when it comes to Gophers’ football uniforms

It always bothered me a bit when the football program could never settle on one design and form an identity like Michigan, Ohio St, etc…(heck even Wisconsin) that would last for years.The “Brick by Brick/Nike” design of the last few years seemed like we were finally headed in that direction. I liked the uniforms, the colors, the matte helmets, the font, etc.
I’ll admit I was a little ticked when I heard Fleck would be changing things up in the future and start doing what he did at WMU. I envisioned wild fonts and cartoonish Gophers on helmets (which we all know happened), odd colors and crazy stripes. But, you know, after the last game I finally came around and decided that it doesn’t matter. Maybe that will be the identity of Gopher football, just like Oregon. Plus, I’m reaching middle age now and made up my mind that I’m not going to be an old curmudgeon and scoff at anything new and non-traditional. It’s what the younger folks like now so I, and others, need to deal with it. Just win and no one will care.

The difference with those places is that they have a winning pedigree. Something tells me if we were a huge power like Michigan or Ohio State we would've stuck with the same look over time. Its not that we haven't won national titles..just not in a LONG time. I don't think Fleck will go that crazy with the uniforms anyway. He understands we do have a bit of tradition here unlike at W.Michigan. We really only have 3 colors to play with unless he brings out a metallic gold next year for uniforms and a chrome finish helmet which I honestly wouldn't mind IF DONE RIGHT. Ive been saying this for a few seasons now as well,I would like to see them put a Gopher stripe down the pants at the side like they put on the "Goldy" helmets this year.

I clicked on this thread because I had to read something from Donkeypunch Jones

I would LOVE to see some true throwbacks and not just the throwback helmets. I can't even remember the last time we wore a throwback jersey. Was it during the BrewDawg Era?

I’m not sure if this was the last time or not, but we wore 1960 throwbacks for the 10/21/06 visit of North Dakota State to the Metrodome. I’d gone in hoping a comfortable win would make the uniforms, which I liked, something that would be regularly revisited. Instead we went in at halftime down 6-3 and only managed a 10-9 win over the Bison by blocking a field goal as time expired, with Gopher fans loudly booing, the student section chanting “Fire Mason!” as he went into the tunnel, and home fans leaving the Dome enraged by a win that truly felt like a loss. It ruined whatever good feelings those throwbacks engendered and they were never seen again.

Does this mean no anthracite? I was hoping they'd bring it back every once and awhile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that there were plans to bring it back this year? I thought maybe they were gonna do it for the Michigan game since that is when they wore the anthracite jerseys last.

They said they are definitely wearing them again.

However, I can see them integrating it with other combos, like Maroon/Antharite/Maroon etc..

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

White, maroon, yellow combo this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White helmets? So does that mean the uniforms vs. Maryland will be white, maroon, white?

White helmets? So does that mean the uniforms vs. Maryland will be white, maroon, white?

Or White, Maroon, Maroon. But I'm thinking White, Maroon, White (like your said) with an American Flag Stripe down the side of the pants to match the helmet is more likely.

I'd just like to take a moment to notice how people are "leaking" our uniform combination. It seems the players are excited to see what their going to wear each week and share it around when they find out. I think its kinda cool.

Celebrating the 1967 team on Saturday, so the white helmet is fitting.

The difference with those places is that they have a winning pedigree. Something tells me if we were a huge power like Michigan or Ohio State we would've stuck with the same look over time. Its not that we haven't won national titles..just not in a LONG time. I don't think Fleck will go that crazy with the uniforms anyway. He understands we do have a bit of tradition here unlike at W.Michigan. We really only have 3 colors to play with unless he brings out a metallic gold next year for uniforms and a chrome finish helmet which I honestly wouldn't mind IF DONE RIGHT. Ive been saying this for a few seasons now as well,I would like to see them put a Gopher stripe down the pants at the side like they put on the "Goldy" helmets this year.

You do know that OSU has worn all black uniforms and UMich has worn all Maze uniforms. So I guess even they will mix it up some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upon further inspection what I believe I see are the crests of the Minnesota National Guard, the 148th Fighter Wing, and the 133rd Airlift Wing on the stripe.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Upon further inspection what I believe I see are the crests of the Minnesota National Guard, the 148th Fighter Wing, and the 133rd Airlift Wing on the stripe.
That's effing cool if that's the case (I dont know those insignia).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom