Rick Pitino fired today...

Does this help or hurt the gophers? Help in that now Richard has his dad's elite basketball mind around more regularly for advice help, or hurt because they share the same last name?

Well, for all players wanting to play for a Pitino, there is now only one choice instead of two. :)

Does this help or hurt the gophers? Help in that now Richard has his dad's elite basketball mind around more regularly for advice help, or hurt because they share the same last name?

I think it's too early to tell for sure, but I would definitely lean toward hurt. Richard still is not established. Like it or not, the situation with Rick tarnishes the family name, not just Rick and his program. Richard needs to be able to get into the living room of 17 year olds and convince their parents that their kid will flourish under his tutelage. Going to be a more difficult job now, at least insofar as out of state recruiting goes.

On the other hand, Rick is still very influential in basketball circles and a very smart coach, and maybe now he puts his energy into helping his son behind the scenes (in a discreet and obviously legal way). He's going to have to be circumspect though. I'm not sure I want all the tv shots of dad sitting in the stands at our games any more, especially this year.

I know nothing about recruiting. So let's say Rick is innoscent, but is fired due to his ignorance. Should have he known? Is it his duty to dig in and truly figure out how he got so "lucky" in landing a prized recruit? I'm just asking, not making a point.

This entire story fascinates me. A blue blood basketball program and a Hall of Fame coach's career nuked in the span of 24 hours.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This entire story fascinates me. A blue blood basketball program and a Hall of Fame coach's career nuked in the span of 24 hours.

Wow, crazy he would fall on a sword for Rick, unless he knew about the scheme.

When the Feds come for you, this is what happens.

It's no longer just the NCAA that is looking into recruiting practices. It may be a bit of a cliche, but when your school shows up (either named or implied) in an FBI indictment, there is nowhere to hide. And when the FBI then goes on to say they are continuing to investigate such recruiting practices, every major program should consider this a big-time warning shot.

This is a momentous shift for college basketball. And I'm sure college football coaches are also considering themselves in the line of fire.

I know nothing about recruiting. So let's say Rick is innoscent, but is fired due to his ignorance. Should have he known? Is it his duty to dig in and truly figure out how he got so "lucky" in landing a prized recruit? I'm just asking, not making a point.

I honestly think he didn't "know" at least in the current context at Louisville, because he's smart enough and successful enough he doesn't have to be involved with those details. Same with Coach K and the like. What it is, is willful ignorance.

The coaches who have reached the pinnacle, like him, can simply tell the assistants, go get me great players, that's your job, and the head coach stays out of the details. Actually the assistants don't even need to be told, because they know they need to do what they have to do to land [x] player because their job and career advancement depends on it.

I honestly think he didn't "know" at least in the current context at Louisville, because he's smart enough and successful enough he doesn't have to be involved with those details. Same with Coach K and the like. What it is, is willful ignorance.

The coaches who have reached the pinnacle, like him, can simply tell the assistants, go get me great players, that's your job, and the head coach stays out of the details. Actually the assistants don't even need to be told, because they know they need to do what they have to do to land [x] player because their job and career advancement depends on it.

Got it. That makes sense

Sad but justified. I always thought he was one of the elite coaches who wasn't a sleaze. Fair or not, Richard will have a degree of guilt by association now, which is unfortunate.

On the bright side, there is officially zero chance of Richard ever going to Louisville, and probably less chance of going to another blue blood at least in the short-term.

Hearing now that Jurich wasn't fired as well. Conflicting reports on this.

When the Feds come for you, this is what happens.

This is a momentous shift for college basketball. And I'm sure college football coaches are also considering themselves in the line of fire.

Can't find it now, but I read an article this morning about how this particular scheme is likely limited to college basketball, due to how powerful a single recruit can be, how quickly they can go from HS to NBA impact, and basketball's influence on shoe sales.

Neither

Sad but justified. I always thought he was one of the elite coaches who wasn't a sleaze. Fair or not, Richard will have a degree of guilt by association now, which is unfortunate.
On top of that, I bet they are going to investigate the U inside and outbecause of the Pitino name.

On top of that, I bet they are going to investigate the U inside and outbecause of the Pitino name.

And the fact that Rick was on the staff down there in '07 to '09 and again in '11- '12.

Kimani Young may also be getting a long look too.

Can't find it now, but I read an article this morning about how this particular scheme is likely limited to college basketball, due to how powerful a single recruit can be, how quickly they can go from HS to NBA impact, and basketball's influence on shoe sales.

Depends on who you listen to.

Some on ESPN (I know, I know, it's just ESPN), are suggesting that this could very well bleed over into football as well.

In this case, obviously it was just basketball. It all depends on how far the FBI wants to go. If they start looking at football, there will be plenty of recruiters shaking in their boots.

But for now, yes, it's just college basketball.

And the fact that Rick was on the staff down there in '07 to '09 and again in '11- '12.

Kimani Young may also be getting a long look too.

Yeah, the FBI sting at issue here didn't start until around 2015, so the issue isn't so much investigating anyone currently because of their name or former associations. Rather, the issue is that Louisville (and the NCAA and feds) will start digging and digging and digging about the events at Louisville, perhaps going years back, and the findings could impact people who have long since moved on to other jobs.

Also, what about Wisconsin? They were an Adidas school until very recently. We already know Bo and Barry have hidden personal indiscretions that would've gotten them fired if that school were in a major city with a legitimate press, instead of a hayfield. What else are they hiding? Why don't we send the crack Twin Cities reporters over there to start digging. They could find a bigger story than the head coach failing to refill the gas tank on a rental car.

Mark Coyle right now...

bullets.gif

But the NCAA made it clear a couple of years ago with Bylaw 11 that it is the head coach's responsibility to know these things, hence why he was suspended even when he claimed ignorance in the hooker scandal.

Yeah, the FBI sting at issue here didn't start until around 2015, so the issue isn't so much investigating anyone currently because of their name or former associations. Rather, the issue is that Louisville (and the NCAA and feds) will start digging and digging and digging about the events at Louisville, perhaps going years back, and the findings could impact people who have long since moved on to other jobs.

Also, what about Wisconsin? They were an Adidas school until very recently. We already know Bo and Barry have hidden personal indiscretions that would've gotten them fired if that school were in a major city with a legitimate press, instead of a hayfield. What else are they hiding? Why don't we send the crack Twin Cities reporters over there to start digging. They could find a bigger story than the head coach failing to refill the gas tank on a rental car.

Which of Wisconsin's numerous big time recruits do you think got paid?

Who is? The FBI isn't going to rope MN in on that basis. And the NCAA has enough on its hands here without chasing threads that thin. Unless he or Kimani are actually implicated directly in what happened, I don't see it. I can see the U CYA'ing with something internal though. Ugh.

Let's say that Rick DID know this was going on at Louisville that would mean 1 of 2 things.

He kept the cheating ways completely hidden from Richard's knowledge and out recruited him on some kids by potentially paying them...cheated his own son.

OR

Rick told his son what was going on.

Either way what a snake (again if he knew about all of this going on).

Top Bottom