Rick Pitino fired today...

On the bright side, there is officially zero chance of Richard ever going to Louisville, and probably less chance of going to another blue blood at least in the short-term.
They can use this for the "Silver Lining Play of the Game" in the radio post game report.
'Our worst brings out your best'

I think in one way it helps us with Richard. We no longer have to worry that if he is successful and his dad retires that he as a job at Louisville. I think also that he will get plenty of help from his dad now. I didn't see where they were fired....I saw unpaid administrative leave....that's not far from firing but it is a bit different. I imagine lawyers are reading contracts and seeing if they can fire them both. As a poster said in another thread....I hope our Mr. Washington isn't also a player who came here because he was given more than a scholarship...seemed like such a fantastic player to land in Minnesota....I am going to hope not and assume the best of Richard until there is evidence to tell me something else.

C'mon guys. Like it or not, Rick Pitino is radioactive now in college basketball. If I'm Richard, I call him, and say "Dad, I love you, but I don't want to see you within 100 miles of any of our games."

Imagine the Gophers are playing someone, and Rick P is in the stands. Immediately, the announcers forget about calling the game and start re-hashing the Louisville debacle. And maybe they talk about how close Richard is to his dad....... Nope, don't want Rick anywhere near the games. Don't want him at practice. Rick needs to go into self-imposed exile. I think he can still afford a big-screen TV and a satellite dish if he wants to watch the Gophers on TV.

And the fact that Rick was on the staff down there in '07 to '09 and again in '11- '12.

Kimani Young may also be getting a long look too.

And that we landed New York's best player - one with a shoe-market-friendly following. :eek:

Does this help or hurt the gophers? Help in that now Richard has his dad's elite basketball mind around more regularly for advice help, or hurt because they share the same last name?

Two highly ranked PG recruits that might be decommitting soon with a desire to play an up tempo style.

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!

Can we all be Responsible adults and stop wildly speculating about the coaches and players at the U! Dropping specific names in the context of "maybe him" or "maybe that is how we got such a good player" is of no use to anyone and only starts false rumors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!

Can we all be Responsible adults and stop wildly speculating about the coaches and players at the U! Dropping specific names in the context of "maybe him" or "maybe that is how we got such a good player" is of no use to anyone and only starts false rumors.

Agreed.

I hear alchemy has been dabbling in witchcraft...[emoji41] [emoji56]

Meh...not like Rick Pimptino wasn't already lowly regarded in most circles for the restaurant thing and hooker thing...he is our Coach's Dad...he will come to games and be in photos. That is how it goes.

Is it fired or unpaid administrative leave?

Reuters article said unpaid leave. But included a quote from Pitino's lawyer, saying Pitino was essentially fired. Hard to see him not getting fired though.

Two highly ranked PG recruits that might be decommitting soon with a desire to play an up tempo style.

Anfernee Simons, a five-star recruit, announced Wednesday that he has backed out of his verbal commitment to Louisville firing the dismissal of Rick Pitino.

Louisville has removed the recruit, believed Brian Bowen, named in the pay for play scheme uncovered by an FBI investigation, school interim president Greg Postel

Five-star point guard Courtney Ramey backed off his pledge to Louisville, after Rick Pitino and the Cardinals parted ways on Wednesday.

Reuters article said unpaid leave. But included a quote from Pitino's lawyer, saying Pitino was essentially fired. Hard to see him not getting fired though.

From what I have read, Pitino must be given 10 days notice before he can be fired for "just cause". If this is not followed, Louisville must pay a penalty. Once the 10 days is up, Pitino is history.

Anfernee Simons, a five-star recruit, announced Wednesday that he has backed out of his verbal commitment to Louisville firing the dismissal of Rick Pitino.

Louisville has removed the recruit, believed Brian Bowen, named in the pay for play scheme uncovered by an FBI investigation, school interim president Greg Postel

Five-star point guard Courtney Ramey backed off his pledge to Louisville, after Rick Pitino and the Cardinals parted ways on Wednesday.

Bidding reopens?

I think in one way it helps us with Richard. We no longer have to worry that if he is successful and his dad retires that he as a job at Louisville. I think also that he will get plenty of help from his dad now. I didn't see where they were fired....I saw unpaid administrative leave....that's not far from firing but it is a bit different. I imagine lawyers are reading contracts and seeing if they can fire them both. As a poster said in another thread....I hope our Mr. Washington isn't also a player who came here because he was given more than a scholarship...seemed like such a fantastic player to land in Minnesota....I am going to hope not and assume the best of Richard until there is evidence to tell me something else.

I think Kimani was his AAU coach back in the day. Kimani was the in with Washington and for obvious reasons were not getting any of dad's decommits

Bidding reopens?

Yes, but...

No way a parent allows their kid to then go play for his son. Just don't see that happening but it would be great. My concern is that the rich may be getting richer with the departure of the Louisville and AZ recruits. They AZ recruits haven't decommitted yet but AZ is going to be a mess too, not to the extent of Louisville but there will be defections too as suggested and reported by the AZ Republic.

If I were a coach I'm not sure I'd want Louisville's decommits. What chicanery was involved in getting those guys to commit? You'd run the risk of playing guys who were later found to be ineligible.

If I were a coach I'm not sure I'd want Louisville's decommits. What chicanery was involved in getting those guys to commit? You'd run the risk of playing guys who were later found to be ineligible.

+1

Yes, but...

No way a parent allows their kid to then go play for his son. Just don't see that happening but it would be great. My concern is that the rich may be getting richer with the departure of the Louisville and AZ recruits. They AZ recruits haven't decommitted yet but AZ is going to be a mess too, not to the extent of Louisville but there will be defections too as suggested and reported by the AZ Republic.

In no way did I think the "bidding" would involve Minnesota. Richard would be ripped apart except for a few here on GH. Meant the rich will only get richer.

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!

Thank you!

By the way, the original link that I posted said that both Rick and the AD were fired. Then ESPN backtracked about a half an hour later and said administrative leave. Both definitely won't be brought back though...

For the attorney types out there...so far, 4 assistant coaches have been "charged" with crimes. Sounds like a Louisville assistant will be added to that list. So, either those assistant coaches will plead a deal or go to trial, right? Either way eventually, we will find out if the head coaches were aware of the bribes, correct? If so, they'll be charged? The FBI can subpoena people and get the evidence they need to prosecute.

The surprising thing to me...we are not talking about a lot of money for these assistant coaches to be part of this... $10,000 one time .. not gonna to change your life in a positive way but if caught it'll destroy you. If the head coaches knew and selected their assistant coach go betweens with promises etc...whoa, that's slimey. If the assistant coaches acted on their own...that's greed and you feel bad for the guy making dumb decisions. The players got the big money. Bruce Pearl and the Auburn connection would lead me to believe this was a head coaches organized operation...just totally guessing. They instantly recruited very well. Arizona always got the players. Kansas always gets the players and the only thing/connection I've seen is that they are an adidas school.

I just want to know if the head coaches knew about it.

John Feinstein's take: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-rick-pitino-college-coaches-know-20170927-story.html

In no way did I think the "bidding" would involve Minnesota. Richard would be ripped apart except for a few here on GH. Meant the rich will only get richer.

Are you kidding me? Of course it did not. But I think Minnesota should go after all the eligible recruits...and that includes Louisville recruits. Whatever it takes, legally.

For the attorney types out there...so far, 4 assistant coaches have been "charged" with crimes. Sounds like a Louisville assistant will be added to that list. So, either those assistant coaches will plead a deal or go to trial, right? Either way eventually, we will find out if the head coaches were aware of the bribes, correct? If so, they'll be charged? The FBI can subpoena people and get the evidence they need to prosecute.

The surprising thing to me...we are not talking about a lot of money for these assistant coaches to be part of this... $10,000 one time .. not gonna to change your life in a positive way but if caught it'll destroy you. If the head coaches knew and selected their assistant coach go betweens with promises etc...whoa, that's slimey. If the assistant coaches acted on their own...that's greed and you feel bad for the guy making dumb decisions. The players got the big money. Bruce Pearl and the Auburn connection would lead me to believe this was a head coaches organized operation...just totally guessing. They instantly recruited very well. Arizona always got the players. Kansas always gets the players and the only thing/connection I've seen is that they are an adidas school.

I just want to know if the head coaches knew about it.

John Feinstein's take: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-rick-pitino-college-coaches-know-20170927-story.html

It will all come out...and I want the University of Minnesota to recruit every eligible player that Richard thinks will help his program...

Are you kidding me? Of course it did not. But I think Minnesota should go after all the eligible recruits...and that includes Louisville recruits. Whatever it takes, legally.

Which begs the question...when all is said and done, which ones are eligible?

It will all come out...and I want the University of Minnesota to recruit every eligible player that Richard thinks will help his program...

Sorry to break it to you but what you want ain't happening.

Fair enough. I have no idea. I'm just saying that if they are eligible, it would be retarded not to recruit them.

Top Bottom