At NIU P.J. Fleck helped play a big role in upset of Maryland - Baltimore Sun

Iceland12

Reaction score
The football game between Maryland and Minnesota on Saturday in Minneapolis will certainly bring back memories for first-year Gophers coach P.J. Fleck.

As a senior at Northern Illinois in 2003, Fleck played a major role in his team’s 20-13 season-opening overtime victory against the 15th-ranked Terps in DeKalb.

"We expected to win this game, we came in thinking we were going to win, and we did," Fleck, who caught 13 passes for 116 yards and a touchdown, said afterward...

Said Fleck: "This is eight years in the making for [the coaching staff]. I couldn't be happier. I'd say this is the biggest team victory I've ever been a part of."

Longtime coach Joe Novak, whose first two teams at Northern Illinois had gone a combined 1-21, seemed at a loss after the win.

"Could somebody tell me what happened?" said Novak, whose team would finish 10-2 that season. "All I know is everyone said we won, so I was going to go along with it."..

“With his fists clamped and putting them above his head, like, ‘We did it, we took one of the worst programs in the country and beat a top-10 team at the time like Maryland,” Fleck said. “That’s a very special moment. What Joe Novak had done was something a lot of people could never have done. Those are the things that excite me, things that have never been done before.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ck-northern-illinois-maryland-0926-story.html

Top Bottom