STrib: P.J. Fleck says 'a few' Gophers are out for the season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck deployed large amounts of secrecy, gamesmanship or maybe a mix of both Tuesday in saying that his team has lost some players for the season ... but not identifying which ones.

“We got healthier in some areas,” Fleck said of how his team came out of its bye week. “We’re still in the same boat in other areas, because we have some season-ending ones that are going to affect us pretty quickly.”

When pressed at the news conference on which players are out for the year, Fleck responded, “A few guys,” but did not elaborate.

One area that might be affected is the Gophers secondary, where cornerback Zo Craighton suffered a leg injury late in the victory over Middle Tennessee on Sept. 16. Fleck on Monday said that Craighton’s absence could be for an extended period but that he’d know more on Wednesday or Thursday.

“I might have to play guys that I planned on redshirting, which doesn’t help you for the future, but it’s the only option we have right now,” Fleck said Tuesday.

That situation might apply to true freshman Rey Estes, who switched from quarterback to cornerback during training camp. “If Rey Estes has to play, remember, five weeks ago, he was a quarterback,” Fleck said. “When you start talking about developing DBs, that’s what we have to do.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-says-a-few-gophers-are-out-for-the-season/448059123/

Go Gophers!!

situation might apply to true freshman Rey Estes, who switched from quarterback to cornerback during training camp. “If Rey Estes has to play, remember, five weeks ago, he was a quarterback,” Fleck said. “When you start talking about developing DBs, that’s what we have to do

He's been mentioning Estes quite a bit, but not much about Harris. I assumed Harris was a high school CB? I'm not sure what to make of a converted QB getting his chance ahead of Harris - must be that good, or Harris has a ways to go.

Too bad for Craighton as he just started playing over Kiondre Thomas in the MTSU game.

I also wonder if that's the end for Holland in a Gopher uniform.

Holland out for the season with an ankle injury? Must be broken or dislocated. Hopefully Durr can play this season still.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Holland out for the season with an ankle injury? Must be broken or dislocated. Hopefully Durr can play this season still.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

We need him for later on in the season. I hope they don't rush him before he is ready.

if people are truly out for the season, I don't get why it has to be a secret. do they think they'll get some kind of advantage if their next opponent is preparing to face players who won't be in the game? that strikes me as far-fetched.

note - I have not watched the press conference, but I did read the official transcript. Fleck opens by telling the media how important they are, and how he wants to work with the media. Then, later in the press conference, when someone asks him about players being out for the season, Fleck gives this odd non-answer, and makes some crack about "you want me to go through every name on the roster?"

But, if Zo Creighton is out for the season, as some have suggested, I just don't get the point of listing him on the 2-deeps. any advantage they might gain by that is pretty bleepin' minuscule.

if people are truly out for the season, I don't get why it has to be a secret. do they think they'll get some kind of advantage if their next opponent is preparing to face players who won't be in the game? that strikes me as far-fetched.

note - I have not watched the press conference, but I did read the official transcript. Fleck opens by telling the media how important they are, and how he wants to work with the media. Then, later in the press conference, when someone asks him about players being out for the season, Fleck gives this odd non-answer, and makes some crack about "you want me to go through every name on the roster?"

But, if Zo Creighton is out for the season, as some have suggested, I just don't get the point of listing him on the 2-deeps. any advantage they might gain by that is pretty bleepin' minuscule.

I think you're over analyzing PJ's answer on hurt players.
Saying "a few" instead of listing the specific players at the 30th minute of a press conference... I don't think he feels it's the difference between winning and losing.
I think his crack about going through every name on the roster was more of, "If you ask me specifically, I'll tell you the player", but let's wrap this thing up so you can go write your story and if you want to ask me a bit later, I'll probably tell you.

I think you're over analyzing PJ's answer on hurt players.
Saying "a few" instead of listing the specific players at the 30th minute of a press conference... I don't think he feels it's the difference between winning and losing.
I think his crack about going through every name on the roster was more of, "If you ask me specifically, I'll tell you the player", but let's wrap this thing up so you can go write your story and if you want to ask me a bit later, I'll probably tell you.

And to be honest, it's no one's business...

The only people that get butt-hurt are on this site.

And to be honest, it's no one's business...

The only people that get butt-hurt are on this site.

...and the commenters on the StarTrib. A lot of the posters over there give this as another example of why Fleck is a horrible coach. Reading Gopher article comments there is like watching a bunch of kindergarteners try to settle a dispute about who has the coolest tennis shoes. Why do I even go there?

It's about building a relationship with the media, which was SON's point.

But you have to build the right relationship. If you give out names now, they will expect names for something bigger when names shouldn't be released.

But you have to build the right relationship. If you give out names now, they will expect names for something bigger when names shouldn't be released.

I think the opposite is true.

I mean, I don't really care whether he told who the two injured players are or not. But, seriously, why not? If you're trying to build a relationship with people whose job it is to access information, you'll have a better relationship if you help them out. Then you build up some credibility with them personally, and you get the benefit of the doubt when you can't give out information.

When the time comes, would the players already out for the season be eligible for a medical redshirt?

I think the opposite is true.

I mean, I don't really care whether he told who the two injured players are or not. But, seriously, why not? If you're trying to build a relationship with people whose job it is to access information, you'll have a better relationship if you help them out. Then you build up some credibility with them personally, and you get the benefit of the doubt when you can't give out information.

I really don't get why it should matter either way. Why not is because it doesn't matter. It doesn't sell papers. It isn't a hot take. I think Fleck is saying one player does not make the team so it shouldn't matter to you. I don't feel like it betters any relationship as the media is looking for hot takes and this is not one that's going to score points for any writer.

When the time comes, would the players already out for the season be eligible for a medical redshirt?

yes. they're under the threshold for games played as they'll be under 30% of games played (3/12)

I really don't get why it should matter either way. Why not is because it doesn't matter. It doesn't sell papers. It isn't a hot take. I think Fleck is saying one player does not make the team so it shouldn't matter to you. I don't feel like it betters any relationship as the media is looking for hot takes and this is not one that's going to score points for any writer.

Hot take? What are you talking about?

These are guys (and gals) who are at the U a few days a week whose job it is to report information. You gravitate to the people who are interested in helping you do your job. That's human nature -- and job survival.

We're all interested in how Craighton is doing. That's not a hot take. It's information fans are looking for.

These are guys (and gals) who are at the U a few days a week whose job it is to report information. You gravitate to the people who are interested in helping you do your job. That's human nature -- and job survival.

We're all interested in how Craighton is doing. That's not a hot take. It's information fans are looking for.

He's out for the season?

He's out for the season?

Follow along.

From the Strib: "When pressed at the news conference on which players are out for the year, Fleck responded, 'A few guys,' but did not elaborate."

Sure, we know now. But why not just say it? Again, it doesn't bother me. But I'm not the one he said he wants to build a relationship with.

hot take in the sense of who, outside of the readers of gopherhole who already know he's done, cares? it isn't going to help their job survive because their job is to sell papers and this article/information would not sell papers. that's what I'm getting at. There's a reason Reusse and Souhan don't write these articles. Not saying they're right in the articles they write, but it's obvious they know that their best bet in targeting the U is to grill the team for no reason and let the crowd rabble about it versus try report quick hitter tidbits on random players.
Hate to say it, but we're not an SEC team who should have a beat writer to give out updates on everything because there aren't enough people demanding it. It would be awesome from our perspective as people who read everything out there about the Gophers but it's just not going to happen.

hot take in the sense of who, outside of the readers of gopherhole who already know he's done, cares? it isn't going to help their job survive because their job is to sell papers and this article/information would not sell papers. that's what I'm getting at. There's a reason Reusse and Souhan don't write these articles. Not saying they're right in the articles they write, but it's obvious they know that their best bet in targeting the U is to grill the team for no reason and let the crowd rabble about it versus try report quick hitter tidbits on random players.
Hate to say it, but we're not an SEC team who should have a beat writer to give out updates on everything because there aren't enough people demanding it. It would be awesome from our perspective as people who read everything out there about the Gophers but it's just not going to happen.

The second sentence in bold is just plain false, or else we wouldn't have two daily newspapers assign beat reporters to cover the team. But it's true that there's not as much interest in the Gophers as, say the Vikings. The reason Fleck would like to build relationships with the media is to increase those numbers. People on this site complain all the time about the media here -- they're either too negative about the Gophers or they ignore them. Fleck is trying to change that, and I applaud him for it.

The second sentence in bold is just plain false, or else we wouldn't have two daily newspapers assign beat reporters to cover the team. But it's true that there's not as much interest in the Gophers as, say the Vikings. The reason Fleck would like to build relationships with the media is to increase those numbers. People on this site complain all the time about the media here -- they're either too negative about the Gophers or they ignore them. Fleck is trying to change that, and I applaud him for it.

emphasis on updates on "everything". people will read game recaps, big things. Then there are more direct articles that have 1-2 comments on them and nothing else. this one wouldn't move the ticket. i agree that I personally am all for extra media coverage because I'm on this site multiple times every day, but I realize I'm in the minority by a long shot on that.
I guess what I'm trying to say is an injury update on Craighton is not going to even register for a casual fan and so what's the point of even throwing it out there by Fleck? It shouldn't matter to the reporters either because no one is going to read that article imo

yes. they're under the threshold for games played as they'll be under 30% of games played (3/12)

Except they (usually) also have to have used their redshirt year "for reasons out of their control". Because of that, I'd be surprised if either of them are granted another year. Though there's a few guys that have gotten them that surprised me, so we can always hope.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if Holland even returns for his 5th year, let alone trying to get a 6th.

Especially when he said exactly that.

You give me a name, I'll tell you yes or no.

Does Reusse attend these still? What’s it going to take to win over Reusse like Fleck repaired the relationship with Tyrone Carter?

Does Reusse attend these still? What’s it going to take to win over Reusse like Fleck repaired the relationship with Tyrone Carter?
Fleck would have to be comatose to win over Reusse. [emoji42]

Top Bottom