Wow, College Coaches Arrested by FBI

Each school is an individual institution.

If the Big Ten and the SEC said, "Hey, we don't want to associate with the NCAA any longer", and pull their 28 schools out, my assumption is that they can.
They could say, we're going to have our own SEC / Big Ten Championship tournament for basketball, game for football, and have our golf, tennis, rowing teams etc compete against each other.

only setting in which that could somehow magically work is if you axed all non-revenue sports and found a way to make it so people cared enough to watch the sports you were offering. SEC/Big10 bball matchups don't intrigue me and the travel would be asinine. Football would maybe be fun but you're going to run into the same logistical issue in that no one will want to travel for those games outside of the conference and the NCAA will prohibit you from scheduling local teams which will lead to a revenue nightmare and increased costs.

So they would want to create an inferior model and product, with lower revenue and higher costs? Sounds like a great business model - sign me up!

Say you have 200 schools that share a pool of revenue.

The top third gets 50%.
If the top third can figure out a way to get 80% of that revenue, and leave 20% of that revenue for the remaining 2/3rds, I say they do it if they can develop a plan to do so.

This has been discussed before with conference realignment and the conference TV networks.

The power 5 / power 6 conferences really don't need Central Michigan, MTSU, or Florida Atlantic to hit those revenues.

You do need the Penn States, Alabamas, Michigans, Clemsons, Florida States, etc.

It's just math and greed at work. Give it time.

Say you have 200 schools that share a pool of revenue.

The top third gets 50%.
If the top third can figure out a way to get 80% of that revenue, and leave 20% of that revenue for the remaining 2/3rds, I say they do it if they can develop a plan to do so.

This has been discussed before with conference realignment and the conference TV networks.

The power 5 / power 6 conferences really don't need Central Michigan, MTSU, or Florida Atlantic to hit those revenues.

You do need the Penn States, Alabamas, Michigans, Clemsons, Florida States, etc.

It's just math and greed at work. Give it time.

There isn't appreciable revenue sharing under the current model. I'm not sure what you're not getting about this. The top third get far more than 50% of the revenue under the current model, and probably approach 80%.

There isn't appreciable revenue sharing under the current model. I'm not sure what you're not getting about this. The top third get far more than 50% of the revenue under the current model, and probably approach 80%.

agreed considering if you look at the 2016-17 bowl CFP payouts by conference

ACC 88.5 million
B12: 95 million
B10: 132.5 million
P12: 101 million
SEC: 101 million
MAC: 4 million
Group of 5: 83.5 million total
Notre Dame: 2.83 million
Independents: <1 million
So if you just total that (obviously I know this isn't all of it) but the power 5 + ND rakes 523.8 million out of 612.3 million or 85% of college football playoff revenue for example.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...uts-by-conference-for-2016-17/2/#14f7bdf27014

I understand that.
But if the Power 5 schools can get together and find away to get 100% of $650 million, they will do it rather than settle for 80% by circumventing the NCAA, it might be an option they pursue someday.

Each school is an individual institution.

If the Big Ten and the SEC said, "Hey, we don't want to associate with the NCAA any longer", and pull their 28 schools out, my assumption is that they can.
They could say, we're going to have our own SEC / Big Ten Championship tournament for basketball, game for football, and have our golf, tennis, rowing teams etc compete against each other.

The main reason college basketball makes money is because of March Madness. A basketball season that ends with a B1G/SEC tournament for fun is not going to excite anyone. Basketball interest/revenue will drop. Same with football to a lesser degree.

I understand that.
But if the Power 5 schools can get together and find away to get 100% of $650 million, they will do it rather than settle for 80% by circumventing the NCAA, it might be an option they pursue someday.

well of course, pending the costs don't go up and that number stays there.

It sounds like some if not all of these schools could face NCAA tourney bans.. could completely destroy all of these programs more recruits for everyone else

All they need is an account number and routing number

Nah. Too easy to track. A FedEx box full of cash that accidentally falls off the truck outside the recruits house is cleaner. But maybe they've modernized to ApplePay or BitCoin by now.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It will be very interesting to see the long-term implications on AAU ball if Nike and Adidas get hammered by this. I wonder if shoe company money will ever be taken out of the equation so EYBL and Uprising would cease to exist. That would be quite the paradigm shift in amateur basketball.

It sounds like some if not all of these schools could face NCAA tourney bans.. could completely destroy all of these programs more recruits for everyone else

If Penn State's penalties didn't kill them (they seem tho have made them stronger, in fact), it's hard to imagine anything short of the death penalty killing any of the blue blood programs.

Woah. Dickie V is angry.

I can't help but think that when all is said and done one of the most vindicated coaches in the country is going to be Tubby Smith, he stayed clear as best he could from the AAU jungle and it cost him badly.

I'm curious to see how Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky come out in the end.

Probably with all of the top recruits that will be leaving schools like Louisville.

Haven't checked, but I reckon those were the teams that were in on those players before. It's not like those guys are going to end up at programs they hadn't previously shortlisted.

Brad Underwood. That's a name that might come up.

And I hope there were no shenanigans involved with the Konate/Diedhiou signings.

Brad Underwood. That's a name that might come up.

And I hope there were no shenanigans involved with the Konate/Diedhiou signings.

Hadn't thought of that. Hypothetically, Gaston taking us down would be worse than Russ taking us down.

I think this is great! Thank you FBI it's about time time somebody does something the NCAA has no balls to do.

Or maybe the NCAA big wigs were getting there cut under the table to not do something about the blue bloods.

This is going to be massive and I can't wait to have it cleaned up.

Final

When this is all done I envision the 2019 Final 4 at Zygi's Dome to be:

Chicago St
NJIT
Lipscomb
Montana

Duke , Kentucky Indiana with Thompson all of a sudden reclassify brother of Sean Miller. Oregon , Baylor so many are going down.

If Nike is involved as well things are going to get crazy. Seems like most of the premier programs are with Nike and the Gophers are as well. Just hope Minnesota stayed clean.

Top Bottom