Wow, College Coaches Arrested by FBI

SJUgopher

Reaction score
Twitter Rumor

Allegedly (per Dow Jones) "several arrests expected in probe of bribery, kickbacks at several top-tier colleges basketball programs. Executives at one apparel company expected to be among those arrrested."

I haven't seen an actual link, but if true, I bet Under Armour. They've been struggling recently.

Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn are two names that have been leaked.

No idea if they are part of the charges, this is speculation based on baseless leaks.

I saw another tweet regarding this that referenced a marketing director for Adidas.

Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn are two names that have been leaked.

No idea if they are part of the charges, this is speculation based on baseless leaks.

Emmanuel Richardson of Arizona and Tony Bland of USC also. Some rumblings about Louisville starting to pop up. Really hope Papa Pitino isn't involved... :/

Emmanuel Richardson of Arizona and Tony Bland of USC also. Some rumblings about Louisville starting to pop up. Really hope Papa Pitino isn't involved... :/

Schools 6 and 7 noted in the complaint are University of Miami and Louisville based on the information provided. Not good!!!

Hard to believe he won't be. Rick may be asked to quietly slip into retirement, or perhaps as a hardworking assistant to Richard.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes, hearing Louisville is involved. Rick is done. No way Richard follows him if that's the case...optics would be terrible.

Does anyone have insight in regards to where NCAA jurisdiction ends and where FBI jurisdiction begins relative to NCAA. I'm curious why FBI is involved in this and hasn't been involved in say the UNC case. I would presume the answer is this has to do with actual dollars changing hands with organizations (Adidas) that are obviously outside of NCAA scope. Are there some cut and dry rules / laws surrounding this.

And may I add an enthusiastic "Hot Damn!" that there's a major scandal in college athletics with no mention of the University of Minnesota! Yet.

Wow. 10 arrests including assistants from Auburn (Chuck Person), USC (Tony Bland), Oklahoma State (Lamont Evans) and Arizona (Emanuel Richardson)

Will be interesting to see what sanctions, if any, follow. Some big brands in there.

Does anyone have insight in regards to where NCAA jurisdiction ends and where FBI jurisdiction begins relative to NCAA. I'm curious why FBI is involved in this and hasn't been involved in say the UNC case. I would presume the answer is this has to do with actual dollars changing hands with organizations (Adidas) that are obviously outside of NCAA scope. Are there some cut and dry rules / laws surrounding this.

The FBI is involved because this is a criminal probe across state lines. Bribery is against the law and there will be jail time here. The NCAA will do it's own probe and slap Cleveland State something fierce. But people will go to prison here. Bank on it.

The FBI is involved because this is a criminal probe across state lines. Bribery is against the law and there will be jail time here. The NCAA will do it's own probe and slap Cleveland State something fierce. But people will go to prison here. Bank on it.

Also it's possible that these schools/players were accepting federal money when the grease payments from apparel companies/agents/etc disqualified them from doing so. That would make it a case of federal fraud.

Thanks, that makes sense. Now on to the real question - are there gonna be decommits at these schools and can we scoop em?? :cool:

I think he stays if offered the Louisville gig right now - timing is bad, scandal is bad, Gophers roster is loaded.

But if they come back knocking in April or May after the dust settles he's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be shocked if Louisville offered Richard. They will want to wash their hands with the Pitino family after this.

Would be shocked if Louisville offered Richard. They will want to wash their hands with the Pitino family after this.

Yeah. Who would hire the son of their disgraced scandal chased off coach for the same team! That'd be a P.R. nightmare for the AD to explain.

True, forgot to think about it from their perspective.

If Louisville was the only Adidas school in Bowen's final five, Pitino has plausible deniability. If there were other Adidas schools, then he is in trouble.

Louisville AD loves Collins, Cooley,Mack and has a strong relationship with Marshall. Richard would have to win a big 10 Title to get blue blood looks. He is not a top tier choice. Besides, he has a really good job here with much to do. Win the conference !

Twitter Rumor

If Louisville was the only Adidas school in Bowen's final five, Pitino has plausible deniability. If there were other Adidas schools, then he is in trouble.

Louisville was a late add on? Color me shocked.

http://amp.timeinc.net/si/college-b...en-louisville-cardinals-recruiting?source=dam

34be157890e2100e660fc92967d55231.png

This is why I've never worried about Richard following in his father's footsteps at UofL. His dad's been involved in far too much shady business while he's been there and I imagine at some point if the University has any dignity they'll want to distance themselves from the Pitino family. In general, it's time to get these apparel brands out of AAU basketball. Rick actually openly talked about in an interview that recruiting became a lot easier once he realized that the wise move is to focus on players on Adidas AAU teams. Just as big of an issue as these kids taking money is their AAU programs pushing them towards going to their brand's schools. Recruiting is a dirty business and at some point you would hope the adults look past the dollar signs.

What a horrible day to spend in a plane. Gotta shut down now and will be out of touch until after the presser. Lot of catching up to do.

Pitino's assistants better be ready to get a nice bus run right the **** over them.

No way Pitino cops to knowing this was going on. Doesn't mean he'll keep his job, you would think at some point one of these scandals gets him. Right, Roy?

Keep crossing our fingers that Pitino learned to not make the same mistakes as his father, but there is little doubt in my mind this isn't a 10 university issue, my only hope is this is why we don't land 5 star recruits and they all end up at Duke and the like....

Top Bottom