Wow, College Coaches Arrested by FBI

Just for the sake of this thread, can we stop just typing the word "Pitino" -- use Rick or Richard (or Sr and Jr). Right now Richard and the U are completely out of this loop.

I'm guessing the FBI doesn't have direct evidence of Rick Pitino being involved, nor anyone at Louisville. If they did, they would have charged them like they did the assistants at other colleges. It's possible that this was all orchestrated by the Adidas rep to get a 5-star to one of their colleges and that Louisville was indeed totally surprised by the quick turn of him coming there. You can imagine the conversation between the Adidas rep and the player's family -- "commit to one of these schools and we'll get you $100K", with Louisville being on the list. Of course, there will be a lot of plea bargaining happening, it'll be really interesting to see what comes out of this. I only hope that the Tar Heels are somehow involved...

I'm guessing the FBI doesn't have direct evidence of Rick Pitino being involved, nor anyone at Louisville. If they did, they would have charged them like they did the assistants at other colleges. It's possible that this was all orchestrated by the Adidas rep to get a 5-star to one of their colleges and that Louisville was indeed totally surprised by the quick turn of him coming there. You can imagine the conversation between the Adidas rep and the player's family -- "commit to one of these schools and we'll get you $100K", with Louisville being on the list. Of course, there will be a lot of plea bargaining happening, it'll be really interesting to see what comes out of this. I only hope that the Tar Heels are somehow involved...

They have a Louisville assistant on videotape facilitating a $100k payment between Adidas and Brian Bowen's family. The assistant even said that they need to keep it on the down low due to the recent sanctions against Louisville. The Louisville assistant is not one of the assistants that was arrested, yet, but the investigation is far from over.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Time for major reform of the system starting with having the one and done guys go
straight to the NBA. That would reduce the competition between shoe companies for the next big star. Stinks to
high heaven.

When will the NCAA weigh in on the tight ship they run for the benefit of their member institutions?

Time for major reform of the system starting with having the one and done guys go
Astro to the NBA. That would reduce the competition between shoe companies for the next big star. Stinks to
high heaven.

When will the NCAA weigh in on the tight ship they run for the benefit of their member institutions?

+1000

They have a Louisville assistant on videotape facilitating a $100k payment between Adidas and Brian Bowen's family. The assistant even said that they need to keep it on the down low due to the recent sanctions against Louisville. The Louisville assistant is not one of the assistants that was arrested, yet, but the investigation is far from over.

Wow, this is going to get really interesting...

The thing that sucks for Richard is there will be people who will think negatively of him because of the actions of his father. He isn't his dad.

I am a huge fan of Richard, but the only reason he has this job in the first place is because of his name. Have to take the bad with the good I guess. He is well on his way to establishing a reputation as an excellent coach in his own right. Don't think Rick's transgressions will hurt him too bad, assuming he's clean which I trust that he is.

Rick is one shameless dude. Deflect and deny isn't only something he teaches on defense, apparently.

No one who follows college basketball more than casually would be surprised at the behavior. It had to be pretty brazen for the Feds to get involved though. Or some bureaucrat is looking to make a name on the way up the ladder.

So far only assistants though. Always the subordinate problem.

Yes, they will be the initial fall guys. However, jail time has a way of loosening lips that NCAA sanctions do not and bigger fish will fry.

Louisville Courier Journal: Fire Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich now

Start with University of Louisville Athletics Director Tom Jurich, move on to head basketball coach Rick Pitino, and keep moving down the chain until they are all gone.

Fire them all. They deserve it.

They deserved it a long time ago.

Seriously, how much more embarrassing can Louisville's basketball program get under Jurich and Pitino?

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-now-louisville-basketball-scandal/704113001/

Go Gophers!!

Rick is one shameless dude. Deflect and deny isn't only something he teaches on defense, apparently.

Classic.

How’s that bus feel riding over your back.

You’d swear Rick only meets his players in the locker room on game day.

That's throwing people under the bus while you're driving it.

Best line I read about this on a "mega thread" on reddit was something like this:

The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook
WHO:
Joon H. Kim, Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York

That's not the Kim I expected to drop a bomb this week.

It sounds like one of the shoe companies paid a recruit 100k to attend Louisville, he might not have known but it doesn't matter he is done, there is no way the NCAA lets him coach again, he has responsibility and I think the NCAA will enforce this.

One would think one of Bowen's non Adidas final schools might have tipped off the FBI. Can't imagine the feeling of recruiting a kid for years and having a team come in at the last minute and writing a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll believe this isn't a sham when I see it. No way this is happening without every single head coach at those programs signing off on it. I also don't believe that "aw shucks" Roy at UNC, and that "elite" crowd hasn't been doing this for years.

How hard is it to uncover, honestly? It's pervasive, especially in football. Google "Alabama Players Cars." Conveniently, Saban is at least partial owner of numerous car dealerships. It doesn't take Jason Borne to figure this stuff out. It runs so damn deep, that if they truly dig into it, they have the shut the whole damn economical cornerstone down. The merch, the gambling, the ad revenue, etc, etc. Absolutely not happening.

A few small-time examples will be made, deals will be made, filthy money will exchange hands, and probably nothing more. The whole thing may even be an extortion attempt. More likely, IMO, soon enough, we'll hear this was done in conjunction with the NCAA, and they are an exemplary, upstanding, "tight-ship running" organization. Credibility will be restored, the big-money programs will go Scott free. Old-man Pitino is the sacrificial lamb, because he was on his way out for a number of other transgressions anyway. Then, watch the dollars really pour in after the impression is made that the house has been cleaned, and we're finally back to a level playing field. Everyone will have a shot!

Another day, another dollar. Another bailout.

I'm wondering how many total schools will be listed.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Could it be half the Power 6 schools by the time everything is finished?

I wonder how much the NBA knew and if this didn't lead to the rumors we have heard about changing the one and done rule.

Here is an interesting interview from this morning on this:

So, as far as I know, Louisville is already on NCAA probation because of the strippers and hookers. Now this.

OK, I'll throw it out there: death penalty.

Seriously - if the NCAA wants to demonstrate that it actually gives a bleep about integrity and amateurism, there has to be a fall guy. Someone has to be the scapegoat for this mess. What better way for the NCAA to show that it is serious about "cleaning up the sport" than to hand out the death penalty to a perennial power. And, let's face it, Rick P doesn't have a lot of wiggle room, considering the affairs, the extortion and abortion fiasco, the strippers and hookers matter, and now shelling out a hundred grand to buy players.

All it will take is one assistant coach, agent, shoe guy or someone else to roll over and testify that Rick P knew what was going on, and he is toast.

If this is all proven to be true, and Louisville does not get the death penalty, they are going to be nailed with some major penalties - loss of scholarships, loss of post-season play, maybe give back some NCAA payments (the legitimate kind). This could be the equivalent to the SMU case in college FB - which pretty much ended SMU's tenure as a college FB power.

Top Bottom