Wow, College Coaches Arrested by FBI

If Louisville was the only Adidas school in Bowen's final five, Pitino has plausible deniability. If there were other Adidas schools, then he is in trouble.

I think Arizona was in his final 5. MSU -Nike, Oregon- Nike, Depaul - Nike. were for sure but i forget how things played out with him that might not have been his final list.

In a broad crackdown on college basketball corruption, U.S. prosecutors unveiled charges Tuesday against 10 coaches, managers, financial advisers and representatives of a sportswear company, accusing them of bribery, fraud and corruption in recruitment in college basketball. Additionally, a key part of the case includes allegations that an executive at a global apparel company bribed students to attend universities where the company sponsored athletic programs.

The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that college basketball coaches at University of Arizona, Auburn, University of Southern California, and Oklahoma State University had been arrested, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The defendants include coaches at top U.S. college basketball programs, one agent, one financial adviser and a former referee. The coaches are Lamont Evans, an assistant at Oklahoma State University, Emanuel Richardson, an assistant for the Arizona Wildcats, and Chuck Person, associate head coach at Auburn University.

Jim Gatto, director of global sports marketing for basketball at Adidas, was also named as a defendant. According to the complaint, Gatto allegedly conspired with coaches to pay high school athletes to play at universities sponsored by Adidas

The surprising thing is that I am not surprised by this.

Live press conference from US Attorney's Office coming shortly:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fusaosdny%2Fvideos%2F1441397979301010%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

The surprising thing is that I am not surprised by this.

No one who follows college basketball more than casually would be surprised at the behavior. It had to be pretty brazen for the Feds to get involved though. Or some bureaucrat is looking to make a name on the way up the ladder.

So far only assistants though. Always the subordinate problem.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:eek:

No one who follows college basketball more than casually would be surprised at the behavior. It had to be pretty brazen for the Feds to get involved though. Or some bureaucrat is looking to make a name on the way up the ladder.

So far only assistants though. Always the subordinate problem.

There are several levels of blame for this imo.

First and foremost, coaches at big-time institutions abandoned ethics long, long ago in favor of money and wins.

Also, the NCAA likes to pretend that they've got things under control. But the NCAA has systematically allowed big-time programs to skate with what they call "major" sanctions that usually amount to a slap on the wrist, if that. All the while, this same NCAA has nuked severa; smaller programs into an oblivion under the guise of enforcing regulations. It's been an ongoing fraud that the "governing" body has foisted upon big-time, Division I athletics for decades.

Big,-time, Division I football and basketball are just as corrupt as ever. And now the Feds are stepping in since the NCAA either has either had no jurisdiction (which is another problem) or no interest in reigning this crap in. Frankly, it's disgusting.

Any rumblings of Calipari leaving to go somewhere else today in preparation of sanctions?

Calipari is OK on this one. Kentucky is a Nike school. It is Adidas that is paying the players.

Timing which coincides almost perfectly with the rise of Duke basketball under Coach K, perhaps not so coincidentally.

Calipari is OK on this one. Kentucky is a Nike school. It is Adidas that is paying the players.

Gotta imagine this will spread beyond Adidas as people implicated reach plea deals. One of the names implicated - Merl Code - was, until recently, the director of Nike EYBL. I doubt any major program feels safe at this point.

So the $100,000 to Brian Bowen is definitely a true story. Kid tweets like 20x a day until 6/8/17 and hasn't tweeted one thing since then:

twitter.com/20tugs

No way a 18-year-old kid stops tweeting cold like that unless something is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta imagine this will spread beyond Adidas as people implicated reach plea deals. One of the names implicated - Merl Code - was, until recently, the director of Nike EYBL. I doubt any major program feels safe at this point.

Also charged was Merl Code, who once headed a junior basketball league for Nike. In a July 2013 letter from Code to participants in a LeBron James Skills Academy, Code identified himself as elite youth director of Nike basketball.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2017/09/adidas_nike_officials_charged.html

Also charged was Merl Code, who once headed a junior basketball league for Nike. In a July 2013 letter from Code to participants in a LeBron James Skills Academy, Code identified himself as elite youth director of Nike basketball.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2017/09/adidas_nike_officials_charged.html

Can't wait to hear the stories that will come out if he rolls over and agrees to testify to Nike's dirty laundry in trade for a reduced sentence.

This has all been orchestrated by LaVar Ball, so he can be the only one left standing.

Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn are two names that have been leaked.

No idea if they are part of the charges, this is speculation based on baseless leaks.

Bruce Pearl seems to be loosely associated to big scandals. Believe he was GA at BC for the point shaving scandal

per Pioneer Press:

Minnesota athletics spokesman said Tuesday morning via text, “As far as we know as a sports department, we are not involved. We haven’t been engaged by the FBI around this investigation.”

Pitino’s father, longtime Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, might be. According to the Louisville Courier Journal, the indictments reference a public research university in Kentucky with approximately 22,640 students. Louisville’s enrollment for 2016 was listed as 22,640.

That particular charge alleges that a company funneled $100,000 to a player’s family to secure his commitment to the school.

A Louisville athletics department spokesman told the Courier Journal, “We have no idea about any of this stuff This is the first I’ve heard of it. Nobody in basketball is aware of any of this.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/26/ncaa-assistant-coaches-among-10-accused-of-fraud-corruption/

Go Gophers!!

The shoe industry is ridiculous. I know 100k isnt much to Adidas, but it still makes it risky business.

The thing that sucks for Richard is there will be people who will think negatively of him because of the actions of his father. He isn't his dad.

Top Bottom