Wow, College Coaches Arrested by FBI

Just the tip of the iceberg:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/fbi-br...ge-basketball-just-tip-iceberg-184524346.html

“Our investigation is ongoing,” FBI assistant director Bill Sweeney warned. “And we are currently conducting interviews.”

“If you yourself engaged in these activities, I’d encourage you to call us,” said Kim, the Acting U.S. Attorney. “I think it’s better than us calling you.”

This sucks. I really like Rick Pitino. It was awesome when he used to beat up on Calipari at UMass. Hopefully he gets off and keeps coaching at Louisville. Yeah, it's a dirty game. Look at UNC.

Louisville Courier Journal: Fire Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich now

Start with University of Louisville Athletics Director Tom Jurich, move on to head basketball coach Rick Pitino, and keep moving down the chain until they are all gone.

Fire them all. They deserve it.

They deserved it a long time ago.

Seriously, how much more embarrassing can Louisville's basketball program get under Jurich and Pitino?

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-now-louisville-basketball-scandal/704113001/

Go Gophers!!

I am wondering how Richard will handle this, mentally. By all accounts the family is super close, which is great, so this must be weighing on Richard. Keep the focus Coach! If nothing else, doesn't this make it even more likely he stays here for a long time? Keep out of range of comparisons to Rick, lay low at Minnesota and win a sh$t ton of games.

Lets all pray (knock on wood) that no current or former Gopher players and/or coaches are involved. This is going to get ugly, but it's exactly what college basketball needs. With the Feds involved, maybe we clean up the cesspool.

What exactly is illegal about this? I understand the NCAA portion, is it the nature of the transaction that makes it bribery? The fact that it’s not taxed?

Lets all pray (knock on wood) that no current or former Gopher players and/or coaches are involved. This is going to get ugly, but it's exactly what college basketball needs. With the Feds involved, maybe we clean up the cesspool.

The investigation has been going on for two years at least. Can't imagine how many conversations they have on tape, but I'm not that hopeful it will lead to anything lasting other than the one and done eliminated. I'll get my hopes up if one of the true aristocrats get nailed: North Carolina, Duke, or Kansas.

The investigation has been going on for two years at least. Can't imagine how many conversations they have on tape, but I'm not that hopeful it will lead to anything lasting other than the one and done eliminated. I'll get my hopes up if one of the true aristocrats get nailed: North Carolina, Duke, or Kansas.

All the while unc wins titles.

Level playing field, eh ss?

What exactly is illegal about this? I understand the NCAA portion, is it the nature of the transaction that makes it bribery? The fact that it’s not taxed?
The assistant coaches are public employees which is what makes it bribery.

The Adidas executive is being charged with money laundering and wire fraud.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

The assistant coaches are public employees which is what makes it bribery.

The Adidas executive is being charged with money laundering and wire fraud.

USC is a private school, so I'm pretty sure that the public employee aspect isn't what makes it bribery.

Schools are taking Pell $$ for kids who had unreported income. So defrauding federal Pell program. No doubt income tax evasion all over the place.

Even if you are a private school, (USC evidently), if you have students who are using grants and loans to attend your university, you are under the scope of the federal government.

Anytime you are using money, and there is a possibility for taxes, you're under the scope of the feds. Private school or not.

Probably several layers of fraud that the FBI is investigating.

On a separate note, the NCAA as an institution is toothless in this. The more pressure they put on programs like UNC, Louisville, etc., the faster they will lose their cash cow of the NCAA tournament and the sooner the Big 5 or Big 6 colleges will conduct their own tournament outside the supervision of the NCAA.

NCAA could get replaced with a Power Five Athletic Association (PFAA) where they make their own rules on paying players and step outside the NCAA.
The NCAA can only govern as far as the power programs will allow them (as we are seeing with this long drawn out UNC investigation).

USC is a private school, so I'm pretty sure that the public employee aspect isn't what makes it bribery.
Yeah, you're right about that. Looking into the federal bribary statutes didn't really clarify anything either.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Interestingly....

ESPN Mike and Mike doing a big job today of normalizing this behavior.

"Everyone is doing it"

"There is no one being hurt here"

"Who's the victim?"

"I don't think anyone is going to read the story"

"Most college fans already know this happens"

Even if you are a private school, (USC evidently), if you have students who are using grants and loans to attend your university, you are under the scope of the federal government.

Anytime you are using money, and there is a possibility for taxes, you're under the scope of the feds. Private school or not.

Probably several layers of fraud that the FBI is investigating.

On a separate note, the NCAA as an institution is toothless in this. The more pressure they put on programs like UNC, Louisville, etc., the faster they will lose their cash cow of the NCAA tournament and the sooner the Big 5 or Big 6 colleges will conduct their own tournament outside the supervision of the NCAA.

NCAA could get replaced with a Power Five Athletic Association (PFAA) where they make their own rules on paying players and step outside the NCAA.
The NCAA can only govern as far as the power programs will allow them (as we are seeing with this long drawn out UNC investigation).

This doesn't make any sense. The schools are the NCAA. Are they going to replace themselves with themselves?

You realize the cash cow works both ways, correct?

This will not eliminate the one and done rule. That rule has nothing to do with the NCAA, it has to do with the NBA protecting their investment.

And with regards to teams leaving conferences and starting their own league, we are still talking about universities, not teams. A university president and board of regents would have to sign off on such a move. I just dont see that happening.

This doesn't make any sense. The schools are the NCAA. Are they going to replace themselves with themselves?

My thought is that the schools will eventually opt out of whatever agreement or ties they have with the NCAA and create their own new athletic association that only Power 5 Power 6 schools are invited to which allow for student athlete payments.

They brand name schools in the power conferences will be happy to opt out and make their own pie of revenue, that way they don't have to share with the lower tier schools.

Wow, not wholly unexpected given the major issues this year, but what a crash and burn way for his career to end.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would think that the local press will be interviewing Richard today. Richard probably won't comment on his dad, but I would hope he would dispel any notion that the Gopher program is involved.

I would think that the local press will be interviewing Richard today. Richard probably won't comment on his dad, but I would hope he would dispel any notion that the Gopher program is involved.

From the pay for play side of it I hope we weren't involved as I am not sure we were very good at it(If it was happening which I doubt). The only side of it that could happen is from the directing towards financial managers and agents side which once again I don't know if many of our players were worthy of getting that sort of treatment yet from our program.

Looking at the schools involved, They all have players projected in the 2018 NBA Draft and most of them have recently put high level players in the NBA. That is something we have struggled with...

It was a good run Rick. Pretty ironic if Kentucky doesn't get in trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been happening in football as well. Might we see some arrests there as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been happening in football as well. Might we see some arrests there as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see this spilling into football, since apparel companies are involved.

My thought is that the schools will eventually opt out of whatever agreement or ties they have with the NCAA and create their own new athletic association that only Power 5 Power 6 schools are invited to which allow for student athlete payments.

Again, the schools are the NCAA. Are they going to opt out of existing? What is to be gained by replacing the NCAA with the exact same entity under a different name?

They brand name schools in the power conferences will be happy to opt out and make their own pie of revenue, that way they don't have to share with the lower tier schools.

They don't share revenue with the lower tier schools now. The two sports that make a lot of money are football and men's basketball. In football, the conferences get virtually all of the revenue and distribute among their own member schools according to whatever agreements are in place. In men's basketball, the NCAA gets the revenue from March Madness and that more or less funds their operating budget every year. Individual schools keep the money from men's basketball regular season.

Again, the schools are the NCAA. Are they going to opt out of existing? What is to be gained by replacing the NCAA with the exact same entity under a different name?

They don't share revenue with the lower tier schools now. The two sports that make a lot of money are football and men's basketball. In football, the conferences get virtually all of the revenue and distribute among their own member schools according to whatever agreements are in place. In men's basketball, the NCAA gets the revenue from March Madness and that more or less funds their operating budget every year. Individual schools keep the money from men's basketball regular season.

Not to mention, only a handful of schools would be able to afford to pay players more. The U is a pretty successful overall program on the national level, and they can barely break even.

Each school is an individual institution.

If the Big Ten and the SEC said, "Hey, we don't want to associate with the NCAA any longer", and pull their 28 schools out, my assumption is that they can.
They could say, we're going to have our own SEC / Big Ten Championship tournament for basketball, game for football, and have our golf, tennis, rowing teams etc compete against each other.

Each school is an individual institution.

If the Big Ten and the SEC said, "Hey, we don't want to associate with the NCAA any longer", and pull their 28 schools out, my assumption is that they can.
They could say, we're going to have our own SEC / Big Ten Championship tournament for basketball, game for football, and have our golf, tennis, rowing teams etc compete against each other.

So they would want to create an inferior model and product, with lower revenue and higher costs? Sounds like a great business model - sign me up!

Top Bottom