Rank the Big Ten

Shades

Reaction score
1. Ohio St
2. Maryland
3. Michigan
4. Minnesota (hopefully not too much wishful thinking)
5. Indiana
6. Michigan St
7. Purdue
8. Iowa
9. Penn St
10. Northwestern
11. Wisconsin
12. Illinois
13. Rutgers
14. Nebraska

1. Ohio St. (Barely in front of Maryland. Depth will be their biggest hurdle)
2. Maryland (Lost 3 biggest keys to last season, not sure how they respond)
3. Indiana (Similar to Ohio St, depth will be hard to overcome but Buss and Cahill will be solid)
4. Michigan (Could Jump into top 2 if they figure out their PG situation quickly since Gondrezick transferred)
5. Michigan St (Losing Jankoska is a killer, but they have a nice system and good coach and I don’t see them completely falling off
6. Purdue (while they lost some keys to graduation and transfers, this coach always seem to squeeze more out of her teams than you would think she could)
7. Minnesota (I feel I am either too generous with picking gophers here or really underestimating them. Despite being one of two teams not to lose a player to the transfer bug, they play zero defence. I don’t know how many teams gophers can simply outscore this season)
8. Penn St (losing Spann hurts but they still have a fast and athletic team that will out run a good amount of the teams in the big ten)
9. Iowa (Disterholf was the heart and soul of their team last year. They have a really good PG in Doyle and Davis returning should help but they will need a leader to step up to get in top half of conference)
10. Wisconsin (I see a jump forward in the new coach’s second season in Madison)
11. Rutgers (With the transfers and players that were injured last year now back, I see them being a lot more competitive than last season)
12. Nebraska (Losing basically their entire team with Shepard transferring and Havers graduating, I could easily see them falling anyway 12th to last place in conference)
13. Illinois (I don’t see the new coach really turning the program around in the first season)
14. Northwestern (Lost most their team to graduation)

Here goes (with last season’s B1G record in parenthesis):

Top of the Conference; Dogs in the NCAA tourney:

Maryland (15-1): Can they get at least get three losses?

Ohio State (15-1): Last season for Kelsey Mitchell and hopefully the last season as the second best B1G team.

The fight for third:

Michigan (11-5): Flaherty and Thome are strong starting points.

Michigan State (9-7): Yes they lost their scoring but gained Sydney Cooks. Hopefully Suzy Merchant steers clear of any medical issues.

Purdue (10-6): The Boilers lost McBryde to transfer and lack depth; but remain hard to kill.

Bobbing around:

Iowa (8-8): I assume Davis will be back from her ACL and they have Coley & Gustafson inside.

Indiana (10-6): Okay, maybe I’m just annoyed by Buss getting to the foul line; but I really don’t see IU getting better.

Penn State (9-7): PSU had some big wins last season (Iowa, Purdue, Michigan); but they also lost to Minnesota in the B1G tourney.

Minnesota (5-11): Please, please bring back our offense.

Who the hell knows?

Northwestern (8-8): See Craz above.

Rutgers (3-13): Scaiffe returns; but C. Vivian Stringers has yet to adjust her defense to the modern era.

The Bottom:

Illinois (3-13): In Holesinska and Wittinger they have a mini version of Flaherty and Thome; but it’s not enough.

Wisconsin: (3-13): By the end of last season Tsipis’ team looked as confused as Kelsey’s used to.

Nebraska: (3-13): Yori used to bring in some multi-dimensional players; Williams, at South Dakota, had a multi-dimensional player anchoring her teams. I don’t think the current Cornhuskers has one.

1. OSU
2. Mich
3. Ind
4. Mary
5. Pur
6. Minn
7. MSU
8. Ia
9. PSU
10. NW
11. ILL
12. Neb
13. Wis
14. Rut

I know Maryland adds Christinaki, but I felt the loss of Destiny Slocum was huge enough to at least knock them down to #2. I'm curious of Iggy's rationale for Maryland at #1 or tie for #1... whatever that is.

I know Maryland adds Christinaki, but I felt the loss of Destiny Slocum was huge enough to at least knock them down to #2. I'm curious of Iggy's rationale for Maryland at #1 or tie for #1... whatever that is.

Yes, transfers and graduation left a lot of unknowns for Maryland. And I haven't seen an update on Confroy's foot injury suffered during the World University games. In any event, I'm assuming the Terps will be a (tall) guard dominated team and Freese will get more out of them than McGuff will get out of the Buckeyes (especially if Muvunga has trouble staying on the court). Not much of a rationale; but it's only September.

1. Ohio St
2. Maryland
3. Michigan
4. Michigan St
5. Indiana
6. Purdue
7. Minnesota
8. Iowa
9. Rutgers
10. Penn State
11. Wisconsin
12. Northwestern
13. Illinois
14. Nebraska

The Gophers have too many guards. They have no true power forward, or post player. The transfers have been less than effective. Even with Wagner being a senior I look for a WNIT run.
Stollings mindset that she can out score everyone and just play marginal defense has lost me.

I agree that unless Stollings changes up her coaching philosophy the run n gun with no D, rebounds or an intentional game plan they will be in the lower half of the Big. I hope she proves me wrong.

Bump with conference play starting this week. We may all be wrong about Rutgers. :p

Personally I have completely changed my opinion on some of the teams before the conference season starts. My updated Prediction before the season is

1. Ohio St-still have them over Maryland simply because the Buckeyes have a go-to player, I don’t know if Maryland does.
2. Maryland-Still a very strong group of players, Brenda will have this team competing for conference title all season.
3. Iowa- The huge season so far from Gustafson and Iowa shooing has been better than expected. Losing Davis to another knee injury I think will hold them off from giving serious run at the top 2.
4. Michigan St- I feel nagging injuries have kind of made it impossible to know how good this team can be. If they get healthy, I could see them overtake Iowa for 3rd.
5. Rutgers- This team has done a massive turnaround. Their defense is back and they are a lot more dangerous than originally thought.
6. Michigan- Limited bench production as well as seeing too many times where a team is able to shut down either Thome or Flaherty make this team seem less of a competitor than originally thought
7. Minnesota- While I hope gophers can make surprise people and fight with MSU, Mich, and Rutgers, I don’t see their defense doing them any favors in conference games.
8. Indiana- similar to Michigan, Indiana literally seems like a team of just 2 players. Buss and Cahill have to do anything and everything for this team with little to no help from the rest of the team.
9. Purdue-While I feel they always seem to turn it around in conference play, Purdue seems to have limited offensive ability and even if they hold a team to 55-60 ppg, I don’t know if they have enough scoring to win.
10. Penn St- Similar to Purdue, they have a good coach but don’t seem to have chemistry on either side. This team is solely on the shoulders of Teniya Page.
11. Illinois- I think the starting 5 for them will get them enough wins to stay out of bottom 3.
12. Nebraska- While the cornhuskers have good freshman in Cain and Kissinger, they don’t have anything else that is reliable in the clutch.
13. Northwestern- Depending on how serious the injury to Jordan Hamilton, I could see northwestern fall to last place. I simply have them over badgers due to their young guards.
14. Wisconsin- Don’t have a go-to player, goes cold on offensive side for long stretches. I don’t see a good season coming for the buckeyes.

POTY/FOTY Prediction.

FOTY: I think it will be a 3-way race between Pitts from the gophers, Cooks from Michigan St and either Cain or Kissinger from Nebraska. However I think Cain/Kissinger will take votes away from each other so while I would love to see Pitts get it, I think Michigan St team success will swing it to Cooks.

POTY: Kelsey Mitchell. Plain and simple. No explanation needed.

Are we supposed to reassess now, because bball_craz_26 definitely gained an advantage by posting 3 months later than everyone else and observing the preconference games.

Well actually if you look back at the post, I made my original prediction 09/26/17. this was my updated thoughts after the non-conference.

Are we supposed to reassess now, because bball_craz_26 definitely gained an advantage by posting 3 months later than everyone else and observing the preconference games.

Ah, I see you had Michigan higher than Michigan St.

Here's my quick reassessment

1. Ohio St
2. Maryland
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Minnesota (somebody has to be optimistic)
6. Rutgers - Who da thunk?
7. Indiana
8. Michigan St
9. Purdue
10. Nebraska - They've got a 6'5 transfer from Delaware who is helping them not miss Shepard. Has a triple double in blocks and 4 Big Ten Freshman of Week awards.
11. Penn St
12. Illinois
13. Wisconsin
14. Northwestern

F11_F2990_85_CF_48_FA_9_F33_1_D5634811_C67.jpg

One really interesting aspect of the MN/MI game is that MN has plenty of upside left and MI has none. Their only other remaining game is against Maryland. Nebraska, too, has a tough remaining schedule. The double-bye is not unrealistic for the Gophers, I guess is what I'm saying, and it's pretty likely if they take care of the Wolverines. (On the other hand, is it definitely desirable, or would the Gophers like a game to beat on up a scrub in the B1G tourney?)

big10standings021818.jpg

A missed floater from being tied for first.

#1 seed aspirations? :D

Wondering about this. The interactive bracket at bball.notnothing.net has Gophers pretty well secured at #4 if they beat the Illini, Been working with the different scenarios and it seems Gophers are locked into #4 with very slim opportunity to move to #3. If they lose to Illini fall to number 5. Curious to what others find. Perhaps this is not accurate?

Nebraska beat Penn St since that graphic, so now they're 11-4 and have secured the double bye.

Wondering about this. The interactive bracket at bball.notnothing.net has Gophers pretty well secured at #4 if they beat the Illini, Been working with the different scenarios and it seems Gophers are locked into #4 with very slim opportunity to move to #3. If they lose to Illini fall to number 5. Curious to what others find. Perhaps this is not accurate?
Big site seems to say that if Gophers tie for fourth with Iowa we would drop to fifth because Iowa beat Ohio State and we lost to them. Looks like we need Iowa to lose at home to Indiana on Saturday OR for Maryland to lose at home to Nebraska on Sunday (we would win tie breaker with Maryland) in order for us to get the double bye??

Again using the website I listed above, if Nebraska loses at Maryland, Iowa beats Indiana and Gophers take care of business Nebraska #3, Gophers #4 and Iowa #5. Round robin record Nebraska went 3-1, Gophers 1-2 Iowa 1-3; again not sure how reliable this bracket projector is

Again using the website I listed above, if Nebraska loses at Maryland, Iowa beats Indiana and Gophers take care of business Nebraska #3, Gophers #4 and Iowa #5. Round robin record Nebraska went 3-1, Gophers 1-2 Iowa 1-3; again not sure how reliable this bracket projector is

B. Multiple team tie:
1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season. a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).
b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

This came off the Big 10 sight. If Mn and Iowa are tied at 11-5 with either Nebraska or Maryland. Gophers win the tiebreaker with Iowa.

If it is a 3 way tie with Mn. Maryland and Iowa. Mn 2-1 Maryland 1-1 Iowa 1-2 Gopher take the 3 spot

If a 3 way tie with Mn. Nebraska and Iowa Mn 1-1 Nebraska 3-0 Iowa 1-2 Gophers take the 4 spot

I believe if Gophers win, they have at least the 4 spot just like the Kat said. Again that's what I believe!

If Mn and Iowa both lose and end up at 10-6 with Michigan. That throws Indiana into the mix for a 4 way 10-6 tie and I'll let someone else figure that out. Bottom line if Gophers win. they are either #3 or #4. Maybe

B. Multiple team tie:
1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season. a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).
b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

This came off the Big 10 sight. If Mn and Iowa are tied at 11-5 with either Nebraska or Maryland. Gophers win the tiebreaker with Iowa.

If it is a 3 way tie with Mn. Maryland and Iowa. Mn 2-1 Maryland 1-1 Iowa 1-2 Gopher take the 3 spot

If a 3 way tie with Mn. Nebraska and Iowa Mn 1-1 Nebraska 3-0 Iowa 1-2 Gophers take the 4 spot

I believe if Gophers win, they have at least the 4 spot just like the Kat said. Again that's what I believe!

If Mn and Iowa both lose and end up at 10-6 with Michigan. That throws Indiana into the mix for a 4 way 10-6 tie and I'll let someone else figure that out. Bottom line if Gophers win. they are either #3 or #4. Maybe

And this how the bracket projector lays it out as well, let’s hope it’s true. Go Gophers and don’t take the Illini lightly, still a lot to play for.

I know Ohio St was playing great back when the Gophers played them, and the Gophers are playing great now, but considering Ohio St was the only team all year to really whoop the Gophers, I would prefer the Gophers be the #3 seed in the tournament to avoid them as long as possible.

With the Gophers emphasis on defense, I think they can take Ohio St if they can get hot from the three. They are capable of that. Hopefully everyone will be healthy.

And this how the bracket projector lays it out as well, let’s hope it’s true. Go Gophers and don’t take the Illini lightly, still a lot to play for.

You guys seem to have done a good job of describing the situation. So Gophs need for sure to beat winless Illinois (obvious) and then if Nebraska happens to upset Maryland we would get three seed and not have to play Maryland or Ohio State until final game?

Big site seems to say that if Gophers tie for fourth with Iowa we would drop to fifth because Iowa beat Ohio State and we lost to them. Looks like we need Iowa to lose at home to Indiana on Saturday OR for Maryland to lose at home to Nebraska on Sunday (we would win tie breaker with Maryland) in order for us to get the double bye??

I think Long Term you were looking at a 2 team tie between Mn and Iowa. The rules are much different for a 3 team tie and seem to advantage the Gophers. we will see after Sundays games. Good luck all.

http://www.startribune.com/double-b...e-going-into-final-conference-game/474961813/

Just beat Illinois. Now that Indiana seems dead in Iowa City: Here's are scenario's from yesterday's STrib:

What if Nebraska loses to Maryland while Minnesota beats Illinois and Iowa beats Indiana? That creates a three-way tie for third place at 11-5. Nebraska would be seeded third, Minnesota fourth and Iowa fifth. Why? Nebraska has a 3-0 record against Minnesota and Iowa. Minnesota is 1-2 in those games and Iowa is 1-3. The Hawkeyes lose the double-bye.

What if Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa all win? Then Nebraska is No. 2 at 12-4. Minnesota is No. 3 and Maryland is No. 4. Iowa again loses the double-bye because it has the worst record in a three-way tie involving Minnesota and Maryland.

OK, but what it Penn State upsets Ohio State, Maryland beats Minnesota and Iowa/Minnesota both win? Then the Top Four are Maryland, Ohio State, Nebraska and Minnesota in that order. Iowa is fifth, which means a possible quarterfinal game between the Gophers and Hawkeyes, who split their games this season.

Fun sidenote: If you hate Iowa, you should know that an Iowa loss to Indiana could drop the Hawkeyes as low as the eighth seed.

So the Gophers are in good double-bye shape in three-way tie scenarios.

I think Long Term you were looking at a 2 team tie between Mn and Iowa. The rules are much different for a 3 team tie and seem to advantage the Gophers. we will see after Sundays games. Good luck all.

Yes, you and kato covered this in post #24 and post #25 and I agreed in post #27

Top Bottom