Tip Off Event: October 6

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/092517aaa.html

Join the Gopher women’s basketball for a free, season-opening event on Friday, Oct. 6. All fans of the program are invited to Williams Arena for an interactive evening with the team.

Doors will open at 4 p.m. to allow attendees to watch the last hour of the Gophers’ practice. Following practice, head coach Marlene Stollings will speak for about 15 minutes.

The rest of the night will feature autographs, activities on the court and the opportunity to mingle with Minnesota student-athletes and staff. Autograph cards will be provided, and fans are welcome to bring their own Gophers items to have them signed.

We went over to the Tip Off Event and watched the final hour of practice. Much of the time the Gopher's were matched up against the male practice players. At the start, the Gophers worked on half court defense with coach McGillan directing. Then they moved on to some up and down the court drills before starting some full court action with the practice players. The comments are based on their full court work because I'm not a coach.

Paloma Gonzalez: spent some time at the point and some time playing the off guard with Bell. Gonalez looked like she will make the adjustment to college ball. To me, she was the most interesting player of the session.

Taiye Bello: played primarily and comfortably as a five.

Destiny Pitts: should develop into a good B1G player with a solid outside shot. Without the ball, seems slow to accelerate (yes it was the last hour of a three hour practice and she had that head down, arm swinging, legs please get going effort).

Jasmine Brunson: seemed even faster than last season and knocked down a range of shots. I'm hoping for good things from her.

Palma Kaposi: one of the few player we have who dribbled into a jump shot. Palma made some nifty move around the basket; but still needs to finish better. Played the session at the wing and often with Jessie Edwards at the five.

Kenisha Bell: obviously still the starting point guard.

Annalese Lamke: played sparingly and spent much of her time on the bike peddling away.

Hubbard, Wagner and Edwards looked as expected. Edwards even took a charge during one of the full court matchups.

Kehinde Bello: looked better than I remember playing the five. I'm not sure if that transfers that into the season; but I think she was the most improved player.

Irene Garrido Perez: I have no opinion.

Bryanna Fernstrom: She should never be backed down to the block by any player in the B1G.

I was there as well and here is my interpretation: The starting 5 was C-Edwards 4-Kaposi 3-Wagner 2-Bell 1-Gonzalez. The pace was fast. Every rebound led to a fast break. The defense was much improved and far more aggressive. Lots of bodying. Edwards is pretty much the same: taking charges, rebounding, somewhat more physical. Taiye needs to get more physical. Her sister has improved significantly. Looked better than Taiye. Fernstrom needs to use her body better to take advantage of her size. Wagner played aggressive defense and had a number of steals. Certainly she and Hubbard are the teams best shooters but Hubbard did not have a good scrimmage. Looked slow. Of course, the transition game is Bell’s forte but her perimeter shooting needs WORK. Brunson looked more confident and showed a willingness to take the shot and of course transition is also her game. Gonzalez is the prototypical point guard. Pass first shoot second. Sees the floor. If someone is ahead on the break she will get her the ball. Loved Kaposi. She was aggressive rebounded and hit some shots. Perhaps the most aggressive player on the floor. Garrison has a good shot and plays under control. Not physical but will add another shooter with Wagner and Hubbard. As the scrimmage wore on Pitts got more confident. Definitely another shooter. Somewhat tentative but will help. Gonzalez looked like she tweeked her left knee. Lamke was injured.

I think Taiye was usually on the court with four guards-a small quick lineup I expect to see from time to time.

Top Bottom