Pioneer Press: Gophers’ defensive success not a coincidence. P.J. Fleck explains why.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

During Gophers football team meetings, coach P.J. Fleck often asks a rhetorical question to Winston DeLattiboudere.

Regardless of topic, Fleck inquires, “Winston, coincidence?” The sophomore defensive end replies, “I think not.”

On Monday, Fleck drove home that point when discussing what stands out about his stifling defense heading into Big Ten play Saturday against Maryland at TCF Bank Stadium. Through three nonconference games, the Gophers (3-0) have the nation’s top-ranked scoring defense, allowing a measly eight points per game.

Fleck first ticked through on-field reasons: the six takeaways (three fumble recoveries, three interceptions) and how they are winning on first and second downs and forcing third-and-long situations. Minnesota is ninth in the nation in third-down conversion rate, with opponents converting on 26 percent of snaps.

“There are a lot of guys out there that are doing all the right things — on the field and off the field,” Fleck said. “… That is not by coincidence of why they are having success.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/25/gophers-defensive-success-not-a-coincidence/

Go Gophers!!

He forgot to mention the train wreck in talent he was left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat me to it. This year, like the past 3-4, players see the opportunity, step up, and have filled the open holes.

The problem, you see, is a dearth of draftable seniors. Draftable seniors = best assessment of talent.

I admit I was a little skeptical heading into the season about our defense. I have pleasantly surprised with how our secondary has held up...hopefully Creighton's injury doesn't cause us to miss a beat. If we can continue with our ability to stop the run (without a true - full defensive line in the classic sense) in Big10 play, we will be fine. I'm happy to have been proven to be overly concerned - Go Gophers!

The problem, you see, is a dearth of draftable seniors. Draftable seniors = best assessment of talent.

Responses like this are what keeps me here.

Then there's the Aune thread.

Looking forward to watching this defense play some conference games, damn this is about to get fun!

Who questioned the defensive talent other than the thin DBs?

We'll see how the offense does when we actually play someone.

Who questioned the defensive talent other than the thin DBs?

We'll see how the offense does when we actually play someone.

LOL. I'll have to look it up. I know there was a couple posters that made our talent situation sound about as dire as Kansas. Of course, the known posters have already backed way off from the doom and gloom forecasting they were tamping earlier this year. I see your buddy has already chimed in as well - further denials I will assume.

LOL. I'll have to look it up. I know there was a couple posters that made our talent situation sound about as dire as Kansas. Of course, the known posters have already backed way off from the doom and gloom forecasting they were tamping earlier this year. I see your buddy has already chimed in as well - further denials I will assume.

It's never been about the talent at the top. The depth of that talent, on the other hand.....

It's never been about the talent at the top. The depth of that talent, on the other hand.....

Yep, sure. That's why the whole debate was Seniors getting drafted. By definition, that is the talent at the top. As I said, the shift has started.

It's been a great start!

I'll wait to pop the champagne and book my Rose Bowl tickets until we beat a few good teams though.

Yep, sure. That's why the whole debate was Seniors getting drafted. By definition, that is the talent at the top. As I said, the shift has started.

Wait, so every team's talent at the top is 100% seniors? If not, that's not the definition of talent at the top at all.

Wait, so every team's talent at the top is 100% seniors? If not, that's not the definition of talent at the top at all.

So when the whole argument was # of players getting drafted (forget class), you're still saying it has always been about depth and not talent at the top. Sure Josh. Thanks for playing.

I'll still take seniors drafted as the best metric of talent on a college football team. Although I should have probably included all upperclassmen...

The Claeysites are out in full force in this thread...

Our defensive improvement is due to the talent stockpile left behind. Not because Robb Smith is a better d-coordinator than Sawvel or Claeys...

Our defensive improvement is due to the talent stockpile left behind. Not because Robb Smith is a better d-coordinator than Sawvel or Claeys...

I would say it has more to do with who we have played, but I'm not the one changing the narrative.

I'll still take seniors drafted as the best metric of talent on a college football team. Although I should have probably included all upperclassmen...

Yeah it should be all upperclassmen, and that metric has a strong correlation to wins. However, it has already been proven on here that draftable talent doesn't matter because we have beaten elite teams with S&P rankings of 93, 96 (without their top QB and WR), and 113. :rolleyes:

So when the whole argument was # of players getting drafted (forget class), you're still saying it has always been about depth and not talent at the top. Sure Josh. Thanks for playing.

I don't believe I've ever said anything about draftable talent. I'm talking about the discussion around the guys here for this regime change.

Fleck has never said Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks aren't talented. Has never said Antoine Winfield or Steven Richardson isn't talented, or Carter Coughlin and Jon Celestin, or Tyler Johnson. In that respect, it wasn't a "train wreck in talent" as you put it. But what about behind them? What about at other positions?

Huh, makes a guy wonder how they've been able to sustain a very good defense year over year...guys leave, others step into the void and perform. Must be magic.

Do we actually know if there is defensive improvement? We have played three teams with offensive concerns. The rub is PJ not giving any credit to the defense he inherited that held Washington State to nuthin'
We sure do not have any idea if Robb Smith is a better d-coordinator than Sawvel'Claeys do we? Just be nice if PJ would acknowledge he inherited some well coached defensive talent.

[/B]

Do we actually know if there is defensive improvement? We have played three teams with offensive concerns. The rub is PJ not giving any credit to the defense he inherited that held Washington State to nuthin'
We sure do not have any idea if Robb Smith is a better d-coordinator than Sawvel'Claeys do we? Just be nice if PJ would acknowledge he inherited some well coached defensive talent.

Yeah can't believe he's never talked about the linebackers the previous staff left behind.

I would say it has more to do with who we have played, but I'm not the one changing the narrative.

You've come out aggressive on this thread. Feeling your oats are you?

Yeah can't believe he's never talked about the linebackers the previous staff left behind.

Yup, he's never said anything positive about Coughlin, Martin, Celestin, Winfield, Richardson or anyone else left behind. All about the guys he brought in. Every word.

He hasn't seen Claeys on TV in months, he's getting really annoyed.

I'm worried because he hasn't pledged his support for PJ lately. Just support, mind you, not the worship that you Flecksters or Fleckites or Fleckillas shower on PJ.

Top Bottom