Visitor Facilities

mailman25

Reaction score
ESPN has a story about the Mich/Purdue game. Harbaugh was complaining about the visitor facilities being unacceptable at Purdue. Said the training table was from the '20s. Also said it is common in the Big 10.

For those that know, how do our visitor facilities rank?

When it comes to AC, or Heat, and medical stuff... there should be some standards...

I haven't heard any complaints here. We did loan Ohio St the Vikings sideline heat equipment at least once.

ESPN has a story about the Mich/Purdue game. Harbaugh was complaining about the visitor facilities being unacceptable at Purdue. Said the training table was from the '20s. Also said it is common in the Big 10.

For those that know, how do our visitor facilities rank?

I believe ours are very nice. During media day, they asked the players favorite road location to play, and Minnesota was mentioned by at least one player, and I think it had to deal with facilities. (Or I could be delusional).

I've wonder about this.

What's to say you don't provide the visitors with a cramped room (that barely meets fire code) with low ceilings, gray concrete, poor florescent lighting, humming from a generator blaring, dripping pipes with condensation, etc?

I think for most teams they don't so much go out of their way to make it terrible (outside say the pink locker room thing).... they just willfully don't update anything....

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After reading what Harbaugh said, I agree with him. It is a player safety question when it gets to be the temperature it was in West Lafayette on Saturday. Also, each team should have access to a simple x-ray machine on site.

I think for most teams they don't so much go out of their way to make it terrible (outside say the pink locker room thing).... they just willfully don't update anything....

To be fair, Iowa's visiting locker room is nice enough. Years ago I remember it was considered one of the more accommodatious locker rooms in the conference - don't know whether that's still true. But photos confirm that it's spacious, modern, and clean.

To be fair, Iowa's visiting locker room is nice enough. Years ago I remember it was considered one of the more accommodatious locker rooms in the conference - don't know whether that's still true. But photos confirm that it's spacious, modern, and clean.

Yeah I don't care about paint.

Provided it meets some reasonable level of equipment and etc.

The pink locker room stuff is fun. That's ok.

So Purdue responded and said that a Michigan staff was onsite and inspected the visiting facilities before the game earlier in the week. Purdue also said they made it know that if the facilities were not up to the standards Michigan wanted that there were "Alternate accommodations" available.

Still kinda unacceptable though.

per ESPN:

Here's how a former Big Ten assistant assessed 12 of the visiting locker rooms in the league. It's definitely a problem. Illinois = pathetic. Purdue = pathetic. Nebraska = OK. Wisconsin = OK. Iowa = OK. Michigan = below average. Michigan State = pathetic. Minnesota = nice. Maryland = pathetic. Northwestern = pathetic. Penn State = OK. Ohio State = below average.

Rutgers and Indiana not listed.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/135/minnesota-golden-gophers

per ESPN:

Here's how a former Big Ten assistant assessed 12 of the visiting locker rooms in the league. It's definitely a problem. Illinois = pathetic. Purdue = pathetic. Nebraska = OK. Wisconsin = OK. Iowa = OK. Michigan = below average. Michigan State = pathetic. Minnesota = nice. Maryland = pathetic. Northwestern = pathetic. Penn State = OK. Ohio State = below average.

Maybe Harbaugh and Meyer should fix their own facilities before complaining about others and campaigning for a "minimum standard"

Have Purdue's facilities gotten worse all of a sudden? assuming they have not been downgraded (as opposed to upgraded), you would think that other teams in the conference are well aware of what Purdue has - or doesn't have. Then again, with the scheduling in the B1G, I suppose it's possible that Michigan hasn't played a game at Purdue in a while. It could be a Minnesota-Indiana thing where they never play each other.

Yup - just checked. last time Michigan played at Purdue was 2012.

Didn't Michigan "redecorate " the Iowa locker room last year and get beat by Iowa? Is Harbaugh obsessed with road game locker rooms?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Didn't Michigan "redecorate " the Iowa locker room last year and get beat by Iowa? Is Harbaugh obsessed with road game locker rooms?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

He will be campaigning/complaining soon about having to ever play a road game in the BIG. He'll want to play at home or a neutral site where they get the bigger better locker room.

PJ said on the radio that he feels it is time for there to be some minimum standard for visiting locker rooms and that MN would continue to treat visitors well.

A former player told me during Mason's last year or early in Brew's tenure the Gophers won at Illinois and they turned the hot water off to the Gophers locker room when nearly everyone was in the shower after the game. He said most places were dumps, but they were never "bad". As others have mentioned, usually they have really old stuff, but nothing unsafe. Just not nice, per se.

I think as far as safety stuff the X-ray techs are available to both teams (at least they were at TCF). The Gophers hired an outside company so they had a non-disclosure with both teams so there was no threat of one side disclosing to the other side. I think they used Tria if I remember right. Not sure if that's still the case...

Michigan plastered Michigan wallpaper all over the visitors locker room in Kinnick before their loss last year.

A couple weeks ago, a Hawkeye podcast hosted by two long time Iowa beat writers discussed visitor locker rooms/facilities. They were in agreement that Purdue was absolutely pathetic and no one else in the B1G was even close.

I'm just happy that we are #1 in the Big Ten in visiting lockerroom status.

Minnesota Nice right there!

Back in the 80's UMD painted the visiting locker room at the DECC pink from top to bottom for a series with the Gophers. I believe my Bulldogs got the sweep.

per ESPN:

There are a lot of parallels here to the stadiums themselves.

B1G has a lot of old, sh*tty (albeit large) stadiums. Ours is the newest and nicest. Not surprising it has nice visitors locker room.

B1G has a lot of old, sh*tty (albeit large) stadiums. Ours is the newest and nicest. Not surprising it has nice visitors locker room.
That was my first thought too. And while these stadiums have been upgraded through the years, I'm sure the visiting locker room isn't high on the priority list.

That was my first thought too. And while these stadiums have been upgraded through the years, I'm sure the visiting locker room isn't high on the priority list.

You would think that scUM and tosu could use a few dollars of the millions they pull in every year to upgrade the visiting locker room at their stadiums.
Maybe the BIG should step in and upgrade all visiting locker rooms using some of the TV money and not give it to the schools.
They could make it into a HGTV type show and put it on the BIG network during the fall. Then do the same for BB teams in the winter, because I am sure there
are some visiting locker rooms that are just as bad in basketball.

There should be some minimum standards, especially safety-wise. I see that Michigan's visitor's locker room did not rate well. I few years ago someone commented that it was a real dump. Bo Schembechler complained (in his book "Bo") about the tiny locker room at our old Memorial Stadium. Anyone ever step foot in that place?

I'm just happy that we are #1 in the Big Ten in visiting lockerroom status.

Minnesota Nice right there!

Of course! They even put a nice big platter of lutefisk in the locker room prior to the game so the opposing players aren't hungry.

Which B1G team had the Visitor's Locker Room painted in pink?

Top Bottom