BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

That would sure be great. But I would have to think the chances of it happening are about .01%. I feel so bad for Jarvis. I can't even imagine how badly he wants to play.

Even if he was medically cleared, he's no longer on one of our 13 active scholarships is he? Would he be a walk on?

Someday we'll get to hear the facts on this.

#free12 has been an active hashtag for a long time.

Like many hashtags, it's been unsuccessful in swaying any actual change.

Someday we'll get to hear the facts on this.

#free12 has been an active hashtag for a long time.

Like many hashtags, it's been unsuccessful in swaying any actual change.

I am not sure if you meant it this way, but this comment comes off as this being some sort of conspiracy to not allow Jarvis to play. His medical condition was not cleared by medical professionals to play. Let's leave it up to the doctors, that actually know what they are doing, to determine if he can play.

I am not sure if you meant it this way, but this comment comes off as this being some sort of conspiracy to not allow Jarvis to play. His medical condition was not cleared by medical professionals to play. Let's leave it up to the doctors, that actually know what they are doing, to determine if he can play.

Except I recall that his own doctor said he could play. This is not a black-and-white situation--supposedly a good deal of gray. If his doctor cleared him, and he wants to play/can play at the level needed, he is an adult going into this with open eyes. He is assuming the risk and evidently wants to take that risk.

Except I recall that his own doctor said he could play. This is not a black-and-white situation--supposedly a good deal of gray. If his doctor cleared him, and he wants to play/can play at the level needed, he is an adult going into this with open eyes. He is assuming the risk and evidently wants to take that risk.

And he was free to leave and seek another school that would clear him.

It is not black and white, and it appears that he is content in attending The "U".

I was a senior in high school when Jarvis was a freshman and knew he was going to be a special player. He obviously played a lot of minutes since that time before coming to the Gophers. Had he experienced any set-backs since his nearly fatal on court experience?

The unfortunate reality is that Jarvis will likely never see the court in a game as a Gopher. That only changes if something dramatic happens when he's evaluated by the U's medical staff before the season, like every player is. He played this summer in the Pro-Am and by all accounts looked good. He plays on his own, but can't do anything in official practice or workouts.

While he probably could play and can do so at a high level, the U leaders don't want to assume the risk, especially legally, if something were to happen on the court. Even if he were to sign a waiver acknowledging the risk (which would've been done by now if it was an option), it doesn't take liability away from the U.

It's unfortunate. I want to see Jarvis play as much as anybody. Kudos to him for keeping his head up and sticking with the program despite the circumstances. Great kid.

The unfortunate reality is that Jarvis will likely never see the court in a game as a Gopher. That only changes if something dramatic happens when he's evaluated by the U's medical staff before the season, like every player is. He played this summer in the Pro-Am and by all accounts looked good. He plays on his own, but can't do anything in official practice or workouts.

While he probably could play and can do so at a high level, the U leaders don't want to assume the risk, especially legally, if something were to happen on the court. Even if he were to sign a waiver acknowledging the risk (which would've been done by now if it was an option), it doesn't take liability away from the U.

It's unfortunate. I want to see Jarvis play as much as anybody. Kudos to him for keeping his head up and sticking with the program despite the circumstances. Great kid.

Why doesn't it take the legal liability away from the U? I can of course totally see the U not wanting someone dying on the court and all the backlash that'd happen if that actually occurred, but from a legal liability standpoint, wouldn't the U be exempt?

I was a senior in high school when Jarvis was a freshman and knew he was going to be a special player. He obviously played a lot of minutes since that time before coming to the Gophers. Had he experienced any set-backs since his nearly fatal on court experience?

He played in the pro-am and pretty sure he still plays regularly. His shot is still a bit suspect, but he makes up for that with the rest of his game. Jarvis can fly.

And he was free to leave and seek another school that would clear him.

It is not black and white, and it appears that he is content in attending The "U".

Hard to believe that if there was a realistic chance he could play safely he would not take it somewhere. His staying here when/if someone else would give him
clearance to play speaks volumes. He and his family have to be okay with it if they are still here.

Why doesn't it take the legal liability away from the U? I can of course totally see the U not wanting someone dying on the court and all the backlash that'd happen if that actually occurred, but from a legal liability standpoint, wouldn't the U be exempt?

There would be a line of pediatric and adult cardiologists miles long to testify that it was negligent to allow him to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel bad for Jarvis. Seems like a good kid.....who wanted to play for his hometown school. Sucks that health problems are keeping him from playing. But.....his health is more important than the game. It's good that he is finding other games to play in. I have to imagine that his teams are dominating.

Not sure where you get that??

Just saying, a # has done about zilch to make any difference in the world, other than easing my ability to search #humpday humps.

The issue with saying setback is with this condition a setback is generally a fatality or near fatality and dehydration is one of the key triggering events, which he is/would be predisposed to from playing high intensity sports

I tend to agree on gut instinct but would worry in the sense that they did not clear him for an obvious reason and now you have a change of heart and say a waiver is good enough. That screams of exploitation/negligence/putting revenue above his health.

There would be a line of pediatric and adult cardiologists miles long to testify that it was negligent to allow him to play.

I would say that they maybe could've gotten away with this in the very beginning going with his personal cardiologist who knows him best as the guy to vouch and having the Johnsons (all of them) sign off on Jarvis playing. But now it's far too hairy, your reason included in one of them as to why the U will likely never sign off on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hed be the most athletic guy on the team right away

Jarvis Johnson was a stud in high school. He should be credited for the recent "stay home" movement. He was explosive and a blast to watch.

I'll forever be on team #free12 but I understand why he isn't playing.

I think he would be the difference maker this team needs, if he were cleared.

The irony in Washington saying free 12 is he probably isn't here in the first place if we had indeed freed 12

I still haven't seen an answer to this: Even if the U Doctors cleared him tomorrow, how could he play? As a walk on? He's not on scholarship anymore.

I still haven't seen an answer to this: Even if the U Doctors cleared him tomorrow, how could he play? As a walk on? He's not on scholarship anymore.

I thought that the U was taking care of his education needs in some way?

I thought that the U was taking care of his education needs in some way?
They are. I think he's on an academic scholarship. So I don't see how he can play.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Even if it is some remote possibility, I don't think the U would want a potential Hank Gathers situation. We all obviously want to see him play.

Is Jarvis allowed to practice/scrimmage with the team? If so, why not clear him to play? If not, how does IW know he’s good enough that he should be “freed?”

Is Jarvis allowed to practice/scrimmage with the team? If so, why not clear him to play? If not, how does IW know he’s good enough that he should be “freed?”

He's played in the Pro Am the last couple of years, Washington probably played against him there so he does go out and play, doubt he practices with the Gophers though.

A lot of those guys spend TONS of time in the gym. And I'd guess that Jarvis is still around the team......even if he's not allowed to participate in official team activities.

Jarvis isn't medically cleared to do ANY on-court related stuff with the team. Can't practice, can't scrimmage, can't suit up for games. If you go to the intrasquad scrimmage, he won't be doing a thing. He can do whatever he wants on his own time, which is why he played in the TC Pro-Am. That's where IW saw him play, and I'm sure they play/shoot around on their own, and he's seen enough of Jarvis's talent to know he can play.

He has a heart condition and the U's doctors and lawyers, to this point, aren't willing to take the risk of a medical event happening if he's on the court, regardless of the fact that he played multiple years in high school at a high level. They just aren't willing to take on that liability. He's handled the situation remarkably well, being a good teammate from the bench with his scholarship honored on the academic side.

What will be interesting to see is if once he graduates, if he decides to try to pursue a playing career overseas.

Top Bottom