Week 4 Big Ten Power Rankings Thread

ESPN chimes in:

8. Minnesota (10): After taking care of business in the nonconference schedule, P.J. Fleck and his Gophers will give the rest of the conference a better way to gauge the results of his culture rebuild with Maryland, Purdue and Michigan State on the horizon the next three weeks. If they can win the winnable games, they have a chance to start 7-0.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...ifies-spot-iowa-climbs-after-thrilling-battle

Go Gophers!!

Jeff Brohm must have bought Dienhart and Dan Murphy hookers and blow. It is the only explanation I can think of why Purdue is ranked where they are.

Jeff Brohm must have bought Dienhart and Dan Murphy hookers and blow. It is the only explanation I can think of why Purdue is ranked where they are.

Yeah, not sure how a 2-2 Purdue team that lost to Michigan at home 28-10 moved up several spots passing us in the rankings. Of course, the rankings mean nothing....

The Gazette chimes in:

6. Minnesota (3-0): While the Gophers were idle Saturday, St. Thomas beat St. John’s 20-17 at Minneapolis’ Target Field before a crowd of 37,355. That more than doubled the NCAA Division III record. Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times noted that 20 of last year’s 40 bowl games didn’t draw as many fans, and that crowd would have ranked as the Minnesota Twins’ second-largest of the year.

http://www.thegazette.com/b1g-rankings-minnesota-loves-d-iii-college-football-20170926

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, not sure how a 2-2 Purdue team that lost to Michigan at home 28-10 moved up several spots passing us in the rankings. Of course, the rankings mean nothing....

They were down 14-10 going into the 4th quarter and their other loss was a close game with top 20 Louisville. Not saying Purdue is back but I don't think it is hard to see at all why someone might put them ahead of us in a power ranking. As you said though, at this point these rankings are pretty worthless as you can't really get a really good read on how teams stack up until closer to the midpoint of the season at the earliest.

They were down 14-10 going into the 4th quarter and their other loss was a close game with top 20 Louisville. Not saying Purdue is back but I don't think it is hard to see at all why someone might put them ahead of us in a power ranking.

Their wins are no more impressive than ours, so not sure why they are getting style points for losing. If they had beaten either one of these teams, then sure, move them up, but they lost.

Purdue played two top 20 teams tough and Iowa was an inch away from knocking off a top 10 B1G team. Both simply worth more "points" than not having played a B1G game and no significant test in non-con. I see the Gophers being a solid #5-6 once things start to shake out.

They were down 14-10 going into the 4th quarter and their other loss was a close game with top 20 Louisville. Not saying Purdue is back but I don't think it is hard to see at all why someone might put them ahead of us in a power ranking. As you said though, at this point these rankings are pretty worthless as you can't really get a really good read on how teams stack up until closer to the midpoint of the season at the earliest.

Purdue had a net of 15 yards offense vs Michigan in the second half, 189 for the game. That's really, really bad for any power 5 team. Color me unconvinced thus far although anything can happen. Maybe they truly are good but they just received a wake up call punch. How will they respond?

Indiana put up 400-500 yards (but were also similarly dominated in the final score) on Ohio State and is 2-1. Why are they ranked so far below Purdue? At this point it's all about perceived momentum, under or overachieving and hope. As you point out here aren't enough data points to really get a handle on anybody yet (including MN) other than the obviously outlier excellent teams and the very poor ones.

The same brainiacs who said Northwestern and Nebraska would give the Badgers a run for the Division title.

Purdue had a net of 15 yards offense vs Michigan in the second half, 189 for the game. That's really, really bad for any power 5 team. Color me unconvinced thus far although anything can happen. Maybe they truly are good but they just received a wake up call punch. How will they respond?

Indiana put up 400-500 yards (but were also similarly dominated in the final score) on Ohio State and is 2-1. Why are they ranked so far below Purdue? At this point it's all about perceived momentum, under or overachieving and hope. As you point out here aren't enough data points to really get a handle on anybody yet (including MN) other than the obviously outlier excellent teams and the very poor ones.

This. Purdue was dominated the second half. All 3 and outs. Looked awful.

Well - the great thing about sports is, in two weeks, we will have the opportunity to prove them right or wrong.

Not worried about the rankings at this point. The next 4 games are against teams below us, or 1 ahead in the case of Purdue. Great chance to move on up

College Football News:

6. Minnesota Golden Gophers (3-0)

Top Bottom