Gophers open as -12.5 favorites against Maryland

It's cause Maryland sucks, and the book knows it. Gopher "fans" will deny it.

It's cause Maryland sucks, and the book knows it. Gopher "fans" will deny it.

Just so I understand correctly - if you don't think MD sucks then you aren't a real Gopher fan? That makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised it's that high even if Hill is out. I do think we'll win this one and would be very disappointed if we don't but I think 4-8 points sounds more appropriate given Maryland's body of work so far.

I expect us to cover the spread. Maybe double it. This team is improving rapidly.

Beat them on the road last year by 21, so the spread doesn't seem high to me.

This will be a fun game. Gophers have looked better each and every week and the staff had 2 weeks to prep for this one. Against a 3rd string QB I think the team covers the spread, although it does seem high. If they cover they should jump a few teams in the polls

Surprised it's that high even if Hill is out. I do think we'll win this one and would be very disappointed if we don't but I think 4-8 points sounds more appropriate given Maryland's body of work so far.

Their body of work with their 3rd string QB is getting rolled by UCF. I watched that whole game yesterday and I am not sure MD can beat Rutgers right now unless their #3 guy really improves with the additional reps he will get this week.

Just so I understand correctly - if you don't think MD sucks then you aren't a real Gopher fan? That makes perfect sense.

Might have something to do with their QB situation.

No, the typical response here is "I don't know, we better look out" or some kind of BS like that. Be a Gopher fan for Pete's sake. Take no g.d. prisoners.

No, the typical response here is "I don't know, we better look out" or some kind of BS like that. Be a Gopher fan for Pete's sake. Take no g.d. prisoners.

I have no idea what you're trying to say...

That MSU - Iowa line must've been tough to set. Both teams have shown some good and some very bad already this year. You'd think the emotional betters would snatch up all of Iowa they could get at 3 given the near miss against PSU and MSU getting steamrolled by ND...

Nebraska only -7 against Illinois. Oh my.

Their "body of work" includes a 38-10 loss to UCF. 10-12 sounds about right...

That MSU - Iowa line must've been tough to set. Both teams have shown some good and some very bad already this year. You'd think the emotional betters would snatch up all of Iowa they could get at 3 given the near miss against PSU and MSU getting steamrolled by ND...

Nebraska only -7 against Illinois. Oh my.

Have you watched Nebraska? I caught some of their game against Rutgers and am surprised it's this high.

If PJ beats the spread, I'd be really impressed.

I picked Maryland to win.

Is Hill definitely out? I didn't follow that situation much yesterday.

It does seem really high - I thought it'd be in the 5.5-7.5 range. At any rate, it's weird because I was told here in the last few days that Maryland would be favored at TCF.

A point spread is a number assigned by gamblers in order to entice other gamblers to gamble on sporting events. It's not a prediction. it's a tool to promote gambling. If the bets come down heavy on one side or the other, the bookies will adjust the point spread accordingly to keep the bets coming.

I find it interesting that the bookies feel they need a relatively large spread to get action on this game.

And to anyone happy about Maryland's QB situation - the Gophers are one bad hit on Rhoda away from something similar. Maybe Green or Morgan could go in there and do a great job. But I don't necessarily want to bet on it.

A point spread is a number assigned by gamblers in order to entice other gamblers to gamble on sporting events. It's not a prediction. it's a tool to promote gambling. If the bets come down heavy on one side or the other, the bookies will adjust the point spread accordingly to keep the bets coming.

I find it interesting that the bookies feel they need a relatively large spread to get action on this game.

And to anyone happy about Maryland's QB situation - the Gophers are one bad hit on Rhoda away from something similar. Maybe Green or Morgan could go in there and do a great job. But I don't necessarily want to bet on it.

Is this your way of saying you don't think Gophs beat MD at home by a couple TDs?

What I particularly love about this is that it's all but certain that the Gophers will be favored in each of their first 4 Big Ten games, and most likely by double digits in at least 3 of the 4. In fact, there exists the very real possibility that the Gophers will be favored in 7 of the 9 conference games, with Wisconsin and @Michigan being the exceptions. But a bowl berth in "Year Zero" of Fleck is a lot to ask for!

What I particularly love about this is that it's all but certain that the Gophers will be favored in each of their first 4 Big Ten games, and most likely by double digits in at least 3 of the 4. In fact, there exists the very real possibility that the Gophers will be favored in 7 of the 9 conference games, with Wisconsin and @Michigan being the exceptions. But a bowl berth in "Year Zero" of Fleck is a lot to ask for!

Yeah, at least one frequent poster with that refrain said the only way spread would be as high as -7 is if UCF destroyed MD.

Even if this were to turn into a Battle of the Backup QBs we hold the edge in defense and we have good special teams. Barring any unfortunate turnovers we win going away.

Yep - 5-4 in conference last year, returning strong run game and defense, Lincoln and Madison trips both at home this year, no Ohio State or Penn State on schedule.

No reason why this year's minimum target should be below 5-4

If PJ beats the spread, I'd be really impressed.

I picked Maryland to win.

What planet do you live on? Did you see Maryland play this week? They looked awful.
Not to mention we're going to be playing against their forth string QB, welcome to ignore list, damn troll.

Top Bottom