The Gophers Quarterback Situation

hungan1

Reaction score
Maryland losing Pigrome, Hill, Henderson, and now Bortenschlager was the QB that finished the rest of the game brought to mind the Gophers depth at QB:

No----Name----------Ht------Wt---Class----Hometown
15----Rhoda---------6-3-----225--RS-SR---Eagan, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
17----Green---------6-4-----229--RS-FR---Woodbury, Minn. (Allen HS)
11----Croft----------6-5-----205--RS-SO---Rockford, Ill. (Boylan HS)
13----Morgan-------6-2-----205--FR--------Union, Ky. (Ryle HS)
19----Pickerign-----6-4-----224--FR--------Alpharetta, Ga. (Minnehaha Academy)
14----Roste---------6-3-----234--FR--------Alexandria, Minn. (Alexandria HS)

What happens if Rhoda is hurt and Croft is lost indefinitely?

Who will back up Green? Will Morgan's redshirt have to come off? How good are Roste and Pickerign?

Anything can happen in nine B1G games.

What happens if Rhoda is hurt and Croft is lost indefinitely?

I think the answer is Morgan would become the starting QB over Green. Let's hope that doesn't happen. It would be great to RS him this year.

It's pretty simple. With Croft out, Green is the backup and Morgan is 3rd string. Given that QB recruiting should continue to improve under Fleck, no one should be the least bit concerned if we have to play Morgan.

The odds of seeing Roste or Pickerign are about the same as a sit down meal at the White House with Trump and Kim Jong Un.

I think the answer is Morgan would become the starting QB over Green. Let's hope that doesn't happen. It would be great to RS him this year.
Maybe I'm just higher on Green than most people, but I don't think that's the answer at all, Green would move up to starter and Morgan would move into the #2 role with hopes that you can still redshirt him. Don't sleep on Green, I could even see him pushing Rhoda too at some point this season.

Green, then Morgan and some wildcat.

Maybe I'm just higher on Green than most people, but I don't think that's the answer at all, Green would move up to starter and Morgan would move into the #2 role with hopes that you can still redshirt him. Don't sleep on Green, I could even see him pushing Rhoda too at some point this season.
He will absolutely not push Rhoda or Croft at any point this year.

All indications from the staff were that the drop-off gap after Rhoda/Croft was pretty significant going into game one. No doubt Green is now getting snaps with the 1st string, whether that gap has closed much is the question.

One of the two walk-ons will be the designated one play QB for a lost helmet, or other situation, where Green has to go out of the game for a play. Tanner Morgan's RS will come off if Rhoda is out for more than a game or both Rhoda and Green are hurt in the same game.

It would be nice to keep multiple QBs around for 4-5 years to develop. It seems like we've had higher than average QB turnover and have lost QBs that at a minimum would have been good depth (Parish, Shortell, Nelson, Streveler, McKinzy, Perra-wo).

The odds of this happening are likely next to 0 but if we have no QB transfers/suspensions and if everyone took a redshirt, it would be nice to have depth like this in a few years:

Sr Croft
Jr Green
So Morgan
Fr Armstrong
true Fr recruit (Bachmeier?)

It doesn't exactly strike fear, but I'd prefer if this was our QB depth this season (I think the years are accurate-ish):

Sr Streveler, Rhoda
Jr McKinzy, Perra
So Croft
Fr Green
true Fr Morgan

It would be nice to have some seasoned depth. Consider that the last time we had the Axe, it wasn't Asad Abdul-Khaliq that finished the game, it was Benji Kamrath.

He will absolutely not push Rhoda or Croft at any point this year.
Rhoda is a good game manager, but the offense is really limited with him in there and I'm guessing that becomes more and more apparent as they head into the BIG play. There's no guarantee that Croft even returns this year. Green pushing for playing time would not shock me (if Croft doesn't return).

Rhoda is a good game manager, but the offense is really limited with him in there and I'm guessing that becomes more and more apparent as they head into the BIG play. There's no guarantee that Croft even returns this year. Green pushing for playing time would not shock me (if Croft doesn't return).

I think it's been by design to be vanilla up to this point and Fleck has said as much, and see it changing starting Saturday. Expect the offense to have a few more wrinkles not yet seen to this point. Fleck and Co. have taken what's been given and have not opened up the offense more any more than what has been needed. Don't see Green pushing but getting an opportunity to play in mop-up.

It's pretty simple. With Croft out, Green is the backup and Morgan is 3rd string. Given that QB recruiting should continue to improve under Fleck, no one should be the least bit concerned if we have to play Morgan.

The odds of seeing Roste or Pickerign are about the same as a sit down meal at the White House with Trump and Kim Jong Un.

Roste might be better than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto. Croft is the key and we have no news on his status.

To my marginal eyes, Rhoda looks to be slightly quicker and faster than Leidner was. I think he is okay running with the ball if he and the staff want him to go that route.

Yeah I think you are too high on Green. Great athlete, has never been a good throwing QB.

Obviously, I want Rhoda to stay healthy as he's our best option with Croft being in trouble... but if he does get hurt, I think Green has a much higher ceiling than Tanner Morgan. It is well documented that Green has accuracy issues, but he has a much stronger arm than Morgan(Green probably has the strongest arm on the team) and is more athletic as well.

Edit: Green has a higher ceiling than Morgan, but probably a lower floor as well.

Agree with your rankings. Wouldn't want to eat with Rocketman, as he makes his guests watch him crap at the table in a bedpan. Really.

You want to see him play as a freshman PWO and try to win us games in the Big Ten? Come on

I don't care who it is I just want to see us win games. I'm just saying that he played in a small school in outstate where players tend to go unnoticed. From what I have heard he was a bit of a steal as a PWO.

Isn't Morgan tiny (not interested in what he is listed at - this is feedback I have got from folks who have seen him)?
I still remember being excited when we "stole" Clint Brewster from IL...... until I saw him on the sidelines at Iowa and realized he was teeny tiny and knew he would never see the field. Yes, I know there have been exceptions - but I have a hard time being too excited about a teeny tiny QB.

It would be nice to keep multiple QBs around for 4-5 years to develop. It seems like we've had higher than average QB turnover and have lost QBs that at a minimum would have been good depth (Parish, Shortell, Nelson, Streveler, McKinzy, Perra-wo).

The odds of this happening are likely next to 0 but if we have no QB transfers/suspensions and if everyone took a redshirt, it would be nice to have depth like this in a few years:

Sr Croft
Jr Green
So Morgan
Fr Armstrong
true Fr recruit (Bachmeier?)

It doesn't exactly strike fear, but I'd prefer if this was our QB depth this season (I think the years are accurate-ish):

Sr Streveler, Rhoda
Jr McKinzy, Perra
So Croft
Fr Green
true Fr Morgan

It would be nice to have some seasoned depth. Consider that the last time we had the Axe, it wasn't Asad Abdul-Khaliq that finished the game, it was Benji Kamrath.
Great memory.

I think one of the reasons the QB turnover has been so bad is that almost half of the QB recruits did not have the arm to make P5 quality throws, and I am not including Mitch in that group. If you saw at least three of those guys throw in practice you would realize they were never going to play here, and I am not including Rhoda, Perra or Mitch as guys who could not throw well enough. Three of the guys offered scholarships were not close and it was obvious when they got here, and I am not including the JC kid we screwed up (and screwed) recruiting last season.

Until or unless we get a Helmet School quality QB (with Bachmeier being the first possible in my memory) we will be very competitive in the Elite Fleck system with Badger quality QBs. We need a QB who doesn't throw the ball away and can manage a game. I expect this coaching staff is smart enough to run the O within the capabilities of the QB whoever it is. Our current QBs will do well enough to win 9-10 games.

It depends more on the OL than the QBs.

Isn't Morgan tiny (not interested in what he is listed at - this is feedback I have got from folks who have seen him)?
I still remember being excited when we "stole" Clint Brewster from IL...... until I saw him on the sidelines at Iowa and realized he was teeny tiny and knew he would never see the field. Yes, I know there have been exceptions - but I have a hard time being too excited about a teeny tiny QB.
6'2", 205, he's not tiny. http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tanner_morgan_1037074.html

As I said, I'm not interested in what he is listed at. If he truly is 6'2"/205 then I would not be concerned. However, everyone I know that has seen him has said he is no where near that. I haven't seen him in person, so could be wrong.

He's the next Doug Flutie.

Top Bottom