Purdue

hungan1

Reaction score
is scary on both sides of the ball!

So they had the players but not the proper coaches?

They do look legit. Interesting how perceptions of future Gopher opponents change once the season begins to unfold.

They certainly look improved. I've caught some of their recent games including today's and they're better than they were in the last couple years.

They do look legit. Interesting how perceptions of future Gopher opponents change once the season begins to unfold.

Having watched the entire game, my perception of Purdue has changed very little.

I think Maryland and Purdue both had rough days, but both will be tough games.

Having watched the entire game, my perception of Purdue has changed very little.

Welcome to the Purdue coaches and Big Ten officials. That's why it called the Big 2 and then the rest.

Purdue was impressive today. They gave Harbaugh, and his asinine Woody Hayes schtick, all he wanted today, and lead for the majority of the game.

That is a top 10 team they played with today. Last year, they were getting blown out by anybody and everybody. Purdue should officially be on people's radar going forward. They're no longer a gimme.

Purdue was impressive today. They gave Harbaugh, and his asinine Woody Hayes schtick, all he wanted today, and lead for the majority of the game.

That is a top 10 team they played with today. Last year, they were getting blown out by anybody and everybody. Purdue should officially be on people's radar going forward. They're no longer a gimme.

Go look at the game stats.

Purdue, off next week, won't have its top two tacklers, Ja'Whaun Bentley and Jacob Thieneman, for first half vs. #Gophers. Targeting calls.

Randy Johnson tweet

I'm still going with 5-7 or if things go right, a 6-6 season for the Gophers.
We have a lot of inexperience, and our schedule looks a lot tougher than it did prior to the season.

The three daunting games are @Iowa 10/28, @Michigan 11/4, and Wisconsin at home. The good news is that they aren't THAT daunting so I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophs steal one of them (this projection operating under the assumption that gophers don't lay a total egg in B1G & will end up with at least a bowl eligible record).

The remaining six B1G games are either toss-ups/slightly favored - with the exception of Illinois at home which we'll pencil in as a W at this point.

I like that MN is well disciplined at that it will seem to make teams or awful luck beat them. They won't shoot themselves in the foot with mental mistakes. That bodes well for the five "toss-up" games. Here are the key five that'll determine a bottom feeder bowl vs. New Years day or better bowl (note: nice to not have to go to Lincoln or East lansing):

Maryland
@Purdue
MSU
Nebraska
@Northwestern

Going on what we know about other teams at this point, 5-4 in B1G play is very realistic.

We have a lot of inexperience, and our schedule looks a lot tougher than it did prior to the season.

Illinois at home is a great chance for at least one B1G win - that'd be win #4.

1-7 the rest of the way for 5-7 overall? 1-7 would take a LOT of shooting ourselves in the foot and other teams simply outclassing us with high quality football.

B1G is kinda mediocre in the big picture and we are well disciplined. These both bode well.

Purdue, off next week, won't have its top two tacklers, Ja'Whaun Bentley and Jacob Thieneman, for first half vs. #Gophers. Targeting calls.

Randy Johnson tweet

You think Gophers are slightly favored assuming they beat Maryland?

You think Gophers are slightly favored assuming they beat Maryland?

Based on the calls I have seen made on the field I assumed that the rule had been changed and the scope of the "targeting " call had been expanded. It turns out the rule is exactly the same in the book as last year, so why all of these calls are being made this year is mystery to me.

The "defenseless player" part of the equation seems to have been eliminated form the call as they are calling targeting on hits on north/ south runners now.

Michigan returned 5 starters to start the season. They have a lot of inexperience but somehow they are a Top 10 team. You better tell em they should lose about 5 of the next eight, because they don't seem to think like you do. Their way seems to work for them? Maybe PJ will convince our guys we can beat Maryland? And then Purdue? And then...

Based on the calls I have seen made on the field I assumed that the rule had been changed and the scope of the "targeting " call had been expanded. It turns out the rule is exactly the same in the book as last year, so why all of these calls are being made this year is mystery to me.

The "defenseless player" part of the equation seems to have been eliminated form the call as they are calling targeting on hits on north/ south runners now.

You have some examples you can provide?

Michigan returned 5 starters to start the season. They have a lot of inexperience but somehow they are a Top 10 team. You better tell em they should lose about 5 of the next eight, because they don't seem to think like you do. Their way seems to work for them? Maybe PJ will convince our guys we can beat Maryland? And then Purdue? And then...

You're comparing MN to Michigan why?
In what ways are the two programs similar this year (or the last 50 years)?

5-7 is an extremely pessimistic prediction. Perhaps if they'd gone 1-2 or even 2-1 in the OOC with a couple pi$$ poor performances and Rhoda looking like a clueless idiot. But this is very clearly a well-coached team that's improving each week. Running game is solid, front 7 on D are very solid, passing game looks slightly more competent than in past years, dropoff at DB hasn't been as dramatic as predicted (although they've yet to be truly tested). With the overall mediocrity I'm seeing in the B1G, I don't see why MN couldn't win 8-10 games. I said in another thread today I could see MN going anywhere from 6-6 to 12-0 and I seriously meant it. I think the low end of that range would be the result of a lot of bad luck. A lot will depend on staying healthy, the play of Rhoda, and turnovers.

5-7 is an extremely pessimistic prediction. Perhaps if they'd gone 1-2 or even 2-1 in the OOC with a couple pi$$ poor performances and Rhoda looking like a clueless idiot. But this is very clearly a well-coached team that's improving each week. Running game is solid, front 7 on D are very solid, passing game looks slightly more competent than in past years, dropoff at DB hasn't been as dramatic as predicted (although they've yet to be truly tested). With the overall mediocrity I'm seeing in the B1G, I don't see why MN couldn't win 8-10 games. I said in another thread today I could see MN going anywhere from 6-6 to 12-0 and I seriously meant it. I think the low end of that range would be the result of a lot of bad luck. A lot will depend on staying healthy, the play of Rhoda, and turnovers.

I think, when you look at a second consecutive year of no Ohio State on the schedule and also Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks with another year under the belt, a repeat of 5-4 in B1G play is minimum target.

FtF will still be saying that after win 7.

189 total yards, 13/30 passing. Ten points, three off a short field turnover.

Michigan has been struggling relatively speaking on the offensive side of the ball. They put up 29 pts vs Air Force. Is the Purdue defense that improved or is Michigan struggling. Probably a bit of both.

Im not going to sit here and be as confident about our game vs Purdue as I am vs Maryland because I know Purdue has the capacity to put up points. I also know their defense isn't going to be the Steel Curtain overnight. Their QBs have a historical propensity to turn the ball over.

I like our chances.

I didn't even watch the game and I know you're take is ridiculous. Actually, most everyone knows this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but it's even week to week. Is Maryland the scary looking team that put 50 on Texas or the team that just got run by UCF?

I didn't even watch the game and I know you're take is ridiculous. Actually, most everyone knows this.

See post #25. Mich basically shut them down after halftime.

Purdue had 14 net yards of offense in the 2nd half. 14.

Top Bottom