If you're were never a Gopher, why are you a Gopher fan?

Dad had season tickets for Gopher FB, BB and the Vikings. I went to a small private school but now am on the faculty of the U. Cheer for all MN. teams !

I didn't go to the UofM either but grew up a fan (parents were fans before me). Part of it is down to being a fan of Minnesota sports in general, but I think college sport is a little more special because there is more tradition and history involved. There's something special about things like knowing the teams location and main traditions will never, ever change centuries on.

Also, many of us - like myself - have had ancestors/relatives who have gone to the U over the years so there is at least some sort of bloodline tie into the history/tradition for many. This aspect adds a little more specialness to my fandom.

but I think college sport is a little more special because there is more tradition and history involved. There's something special about things like knowing the teams location and main traditions will never, ever change centuries on.

This was part of it for me, too. The traditions, from the rivalry trophies in football to the MacNaughton Cup in hockey just drew me in so much more than what happens at the pro level.

Grew up in a small town (1,000 people) in SE MN. Had friends that went to the U, but when they talked about lecture classes with over 100 students, that just sounded too "big" for me. I went to Augsburg. (my Mom was a St. Olaf grad and big booster of private schools). I was a casual Gopher fan in those days - would usually make it to one game a year when there wasn't a conflict with Augsburg Games. (I did work-study for the Sports Information office, keeping stats and working on media guides, so I had to go to the games. I also covered the games for the school paper.)

Anyway, college was almost 40 years ago.......and over the years, I have lost a lot of my ties to Augsburg. Haven't been to a game in years. I do watch a game online on occasion. But, I found myself becoming a bigger Gopher fan. Lived outside of MN from '87 to '97, but moved back in '97 and have followed the Gophers much more closely since - football and men's hoops. I will watch the occasional Gopher hockey game on TV.

I used to be a more die-hard Vikings fan, but have slowly lost some interest/intensity. I now get much more wound-up about the Gophers than the Vikings.

And, have to say that Gopher Hole played a part in this. Started out arguing with Wren in the comments section after Gopher articles in the Strib, then migrated over to Gopher Hole, where I probably spend way too much time. But it gives me something to focus on that does not involve work, or listening to my boss make more promises about all the great things he's going to do someday.................

I don't know how interesting it will be but here is my story...

I'm not a Minnesotan, in fact, I've never even been to the state. I did have relatives that lived in Plymouth and I do intend to get there one day. I'm a Georgia boy, born and raised. My love for the Gophers actually started via the Vikings. I was born in 1969. By the time I was old enough to really watch any football and understand it, I fell in love with the Vikings. Anytime they were on tv down here I was glued to the tube. I was probably the only kid within 200 miles with Viking clothes. By the very early '80's my dad was the first person in our county to get the old hand crank satellite dish. I discovered a channel on the dish that many of you I'm sure will remember, Midwest Sports Channel. I soon discovered that i could change the audio frequency on my dish while on that channel, and get the radio feed from WCCO which they piggy backed on the dish. I did all of this to satisfy my thirst for information about my Vikings. I had discovered the world of Sid Hartman and Dark Star on WCCO and made sure that I was listening anytime they were on. This also meant that I was exposed to news on other Minnesota sports teams and I became a fan of basically ever Minnesota sports team. Really loved the North Stars! My dad loved hockey and the Blackhawks from when he was in the military and spent time in Chicago. I remember he and I watching North Stars/Hawks games all the time. Man I hated Al Secord! Anyway, my first real conscious memory of Gopher football was in a bowling ally one night as a 16 year old. Here I was, between my turns to roll, glued to the tv watching Rickey Foggie and the Gophers try to upset mighty Oklahoma. From that night on, while I almost never could watch the Gophers on tv, I was listening to WCCO to find out news about them just like the Vikings. I've been a Gopher fan ever since and a die hard Gopher since they hired Glen Mason. Now, I'm probably the only person, besides my son, within 200 miles wearing Gopher gear. Though that could change if Tift County's Rashad Bateman stays in the fold and becomes a Gopher. I now consider the Gophers much more important to me than the Vikings, whom I've had a fading interest in over the years. Today, I'm just a casual Viking at best. What I look forward to every weekend now is watching my Gophers and my other favorite college team, the Georgia Bulldogs. It would be awesome if these two met one day in a bowl game. It was mentioned they may play each other in Jacksonville a couple of years ago and I was sure hoping it was going to happen. I would have had to wear red and maroon, but would have ultimately been pulling for the Gophers. It would be so sweet for this team to knock of one of the SEC heavy weights! Hopefully, PJ will get us to that level.

I too hate bye weeks but at least Georgia is playing tomorrow. Hopefully we can handle Mississippi State, but already anxiously awaiting next weekend against Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just great! The most unusual Gopher fan story I've ever read. Having lived in both states, I get a kick out of the fact that top Georgia talent is now migrating to the Gopher campus. I did graduate from the U of M, but that was because I couldn't afford any private college and was a Gopher fan beginning in grade school - loved Gopher basketball and hockey, too.

Looking back on this thread is awesome. Some great stories. I attended a private school because my family could pay for it and no one else accepted me.

I wish I had changed it to why are you a Gopher fan. I didn't mean to exclude alum. Its just that when I explain my fanhood people ask what year I graduated from the U. I'm not a Gopher academically but I love and die by their teams.

Football, volleyball, men and women's hoops, wrestling, men and women's hockey's, baseball and softball. Those are my main sports. I watch them. Follow them. Know them.

Born here, raised a Gopher fan, with a burning hatred for all things Sconnie from a young age. Wanted to play baseball in college, so D-III it was.

I don't know how interesting it will be but here is my story...

I'm not a Minnesotan, in fact, I've never even been to the state. I did have relatives that lived in Plymouth and I do intend to get there one day. I'm a Georgia boy, born and raised. My love for the Gophers actually started via the Vikings. I was born in 1969. By the time I was old enough to really watch any football and understand it, I fell in love with the Vikings. Anytime they were on tv down here I was glued to the tube. I was probably the only kid within 200 miles with Viking clothes. By the very early '80's my dad was the first person in our county to get the old hand crank satellite dish. I discovered a channel on the dish that many of you I'm sure will remember, Midwest Sports Channel. I soon discovered that i could change the audio frequency on my dish while on that channel, and get the radio feed from WCCO which they piggy backed on the dish. I did all of this to satisfy my thirst for information about my Vikings. I had discovered the world of Sid Hartman and Dark Star on WCCO and made sure that I was listening anytime they were on. This also meant that I was exposed to news on other Minnesota sports teams and I became a fan of basically ever Minnesota sports team. Really loved the North Stars! My dad loved hockey and the Blackhawks from when he was in the military and spent time in Chicago. I remember he and I watching North Stars/Hawks games all the time. Man I hated Al Secord! Anyway, my first real conscious memory of Gopher football was in a bowling ally one night as a 16 year old. Here I was, between my turns to roll, glued to the tv watching Rickey Foggie and the Gophers try to upset mighty Oklahoma. From that night on, while I almost never could watch the Gophers on tv, I was listening to WCCO to find out news about them just like the Vikings. I've been a Gopher fan ever since and a die hard Gopher since they hired Glen Mason. Now, I'm probably the only person, besides my son, within 200 miles wearing Gopher gear. Though that could change if Tift County's Rashad Bateman stays in the fold and becomes a Gopher. I now consider the Gophers much more important to me than the Vikings, whom I've had a fading interest in over the years. Today, I'm just a casual Viking at best. What I look forward to every weekend now is watching my Gophers and my other favorite college team, the Georgia Bulldogs. It would be awesome if these two met one day in a bowl game. It was mentioned they may play each other in Jacksonville a couple of years ago and I was sure hoping it was going to happen. I would have had to wear red and maroon, but would have ultimately been pulling for the Gophers. It would be so sweet for this team to knock of one of the SEC heavy weights! Hopefully, PJ will get us to that level.

I too hate bye weeks but at least Georgia is playing tomorrow. Hopefully we can handle Mississippi State, but already anxiously awaiting next weekend against Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an uncanny description of my childhood. Only I grew up in Minnesota and then moved to Georgia in 2005. Nicely done. And thanks for allowing me to relive some of my fondest childhood sports memories.

I did not attend the U of M, but returning from the service I landed in West St. Paul. I have always preferred College Football to Pro, and to my way of thinking the U of M was the only big time football program in the state. I was shocked at the lack of support. So it was natural to adopt the Gophers. It was 1973. I still get the question did you attend the U? No. Why do you support them? See the only Division I program in Minnesota.

Grandmother graduated 1926, Dad got his Masters 1964, I attended 77-79. Grandma saw Gophers beat Illinois and Red Grange at Memorial Stadium dedication. She talked about that game all the time. Dad saw the 16-0 beat down of Michigan in 1977. It's in my blood.

Grandma's name is on one of the plaques at the Bank.

Grandmother graduated 1926, Dad got his Masters 1964, I attended 77-79. Grandma saw Gophers beat Illinois and Red Grange at Memorial Stadium dedication. She talked about that game all the time. Dad saw the 16-0 beat down of Michigan in 1977. It's in my blood.

Terrific - I had a distant relative who was selling newspapers outside the stadium before the Red Grange game, he snuck in later, and saw the game - which the Gophers won, the only Illinois loss that year.

My grandfather, who was a long time season ticket holder, passed his season tickets on to my family in 2003 after the Michigan debacle. I was only 13 at the time and wasn't a huge sports fan. Gophers football at the dome ended up turning me into a Gopher fanatic and all around sports fan.

Terrific - I had a distant relative who was selling newspapers outside the stadium before the Red Grange game, he snuck in later, and saw the game - which the Gophers won, the only Illinois loss that year.

Forgot to add, my Dad's ashes are also at the Bank. How and where is my secret.

Been a dire hard gopher fan since 72. I never went to the U of M ( could not afford it). I went to a technical college in KC. I have always supported Gophers, Vikings, Twins, wild and any other Minnesota sports teams. Gopher football is my number one love. I have been to six straight gopher games at IC and still looking for me seeing a win there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've lived my whole life here. I have 3 degrees from different schools in the MIAC. I tried registering form Master's at the U of M and found it too impersonal and complicated. I grew up wanting to playlet for and watching Gopher Hockey. It was amazing how bad Becky and the John Deere team were growing up.

College football has been my passion since Ricky Foggie. I still have my Dad's Rose Bowl clippings from the newspaper. I love to show the National championship articles to my MN tax paying neighbors who grew up in neighboring states that haven't won one. I always thanking them for funding our state's premier athletic and academic institution.

Funny topic...my story-went to UND and then SCSU where I got my undergrad. Went back for my MBA at St Thomas and the whole time, always a Gopher fan. Gophs came to Englestad Arena-voted for Gophs. Gophs came to SCSU for hockey, voted for the Gophs. Been in Mn pretty much my whole life and grew up watching all the sports with my dad which were some of the best days of my life. I will always be a die hard Gopher fan and raising my kids the same way and hope they end up the same way. That's why me and the rest of us die hard fans really do deserve a championship in football and basketball for always bleeding maroon and gold and believing in the U. RAH!

Grew up in western MN. Went to my first game in the Barn in 75 vs. Indiana and remember it like it was yesterday. Have had Football tickets for 20+ years and basketball for 8 years and really enjoy following all things MN Gophers.

We had moved to Chicago in 1960, as a young athlete my dad regaled me with legends. He took me to Wrigley Field, and the story of Hack Wilson. To a Bears Game vs. the Packers and It was Clayton Tonnemaker. And an October game at Dyche Stadium it was Bernie Beirman, he told me the rivalry between Nebraska and Minnesota in the 30's and 40's. It was 1963 and Northwestern was Coached by Ara Parseghian and Tommy Myers was the QB. The Gopher I think had Carl Eller and the final was 15-8 Gophers. Myers the previous two years had put Northwestern on the map with a connection to Paul Flatley. One of my high school teammates who was two years ahead of me was John Wintermute. When he chose Minnesota most of us wondered why?
Having attended Nebraska it was period in which the program took off. They were selling out an building on to Memorial Stadium.

When I returned from the service I landed in Minnesota, it was 1973. I have always been a College Football fan. Minnesota was the only Division 1 program and I adopted them. I took in a game a year at Memorial Stadium. And had 4 season tickets in the Dome when Lou rolled in. I think I saw all agony and defeats from the Oklahoma loss. To the loss to Pacific. I was there for the game that Iowa took the upright, as well as Hayden Fry's last game in Dome. Minnesota 49 Iowa 7. I have been there done that. I suffered the loss to Michigan. And began to think the dome was cursed.

The best thing that happen to Gopher Football was getting out of the dome, into the sunlight. You cannot beat a game at TCF. And I can honestly say you could not give me a ticket to US Bank Stadium.

The point of this 'hole' exercise is the recognition of Gopher Fans comes from all walks of life and is not a reserved for Alumni. The sooner the marketing department looks outside the box the better. Row the boat is an excellent attempt.

Top Bottom