Perra: For us involved, Tommies-Johnnies is more intense than any Gopher rivalry

20-17 UST with 2:35 in the 4th, looks like they'll pull this one out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A battle of two catholic schools I care nothing about. Whoop!

People are more likely to show up at one off games like this than Twins games. Actual crowd is probably the biggest in a while.

Special shout out to the drunk UST fan who crashed their car on Marshall Ave and knocked out power at Midway Target

I have very little ties to either team. Always heard about the rivalry and being at Target Field made it intriguing. It was a fun time and a really good atmosphere. Not sure that I have any interest in seeing the Bizon play here though.

So glad one of the rich kid catholic schools won!

Yay Catholic School Football!

So glad one of the rich kid catholic schools won!

Yay Catholic School Football!

Honestly I don't think you know much about the demographic to call them rich kid catholic schools. There are a lot of wealthy kids from suburban Chicago and Minneapolis but it's pretty much equal parts hard scrabble middle class at UST and St. John's is even more so. So maybe all of the dumb catholic school bashing ****e can stop? This reeks of religious intolerance.

Is Game Day coming? Also - what do we think either of these two anonymous teams would do against the top division in Texas high school football? It's a one-time event...let the Catholics have their novelty. If you did it again next year, 1K would show up.

Well it looks like they did have picks for it.

Honestly I don't think you know much about the demographic to call them rich kid catholic schools. There are a lot of wealthy kids from suburban Chicago and Minneapolis but it's pretty much equal parts hard scrabble middle class at UST and St. John's is even more so. So maybe all of the dumb catholic school bashing ****e can stop? This reeks of religious intolerance.

IDK UST was always back up school for the dumb kids at STA, according to my brother

I grew up in Central MN. Was raised a Johnnies fan (for D3). Loved them as a kid. Didn't go today, too many people. Will take a game experience @ Collegeville anytime. Gorgeous place to watch football. Hills, trees, college girls. Would take that location over almost any other.

I grew up in Central MN. Was raised a Johnnies fan (for D3). Loved them as a kid. Didn't go today, too many people. Will take a game experience @ Collegeville anytime. Gorgeous place to watch football. Hills, trees, college girls. Would take that location over almost any other.

Went to college in the Miac and always hated how SJU ran up the score on teams like Macalester. Agree it's a fun atmosphere on the campuses.

Just curious why it matters to you that they are Catholic schools?

It bothers Face the Facts more that they are rich rather than Catholic. Jealousy is the strongest human emotion after pain. It is painfully obvious that Face the Facts can't deal with either emotion without making a jerk out of himself.

As to why the rivalry matters- IMHO, a majority of D1 football players - especially at the P5 conferences, look at college football as a potential path to the NFL (or maybe Canada). (for some, this is a pipe dream, for others, more of a reality)

But in D3, the players know that football for them is done after college, unless they go into coaching. They're not thinking about hiring an agent, or preparing for the draft. The Tommie-Johnnie game (and other rivalries to a lesser extent) is the biggest game these athletes will ever play in.

And I believe that the Tommie and Johnnie fans and players are more passionate about this rivalry than the vast majority of Gopher Fans and their rivalry games. There is a relatively small base of hard-core Gopher fans for whom the WI or IA games are the most important thing in the world. But, for most Tommie and Johnnie alums, this game is their Super Bowl and BCS Championship game rolled into one. I wish more Gopher fans were that passionate about the Gophers. But, they're not.

It bothers Face the Facts more that they are rich rather than Catholic. Jealousy is the strongest human emotion after pain. It is painfully obvious that Face the Facts can't deal with either emotion without making a jerk out

And Eny is not very attractive.

As to why the rivalry matters- IMHO, a majority of D1 football players - especially at the P5 conferences, look at college football as a potential path to the NFL (or maybe Canada). (for some, this is a pipe dream, for others, more of a reality)

But in D3, the players know that football for them is done after college, unless they go into coaching. They're not thinking about hiring an agent, or preparing for the draft. The Tommie-Johnnie game (and other rivalries to a lesser extent) is the biggest game these athletes will ever play in.

And I believe that the Tommie and Johnnie fans and players are more passionate about this rivalry than the vast majority of Gopher Fans and their rivalry games. There is a relatively small base of hard-core Gopher fans for whom the WI or IA games are the most important thing in the world. But, for most Tommie and Johnnie alums, this game is their Super Bowl and BCS Championship game rolled into one. I wish more Gopher fans were that passionate about the Gophers. But, they're not.
At first I thought this thread didn't belong here because this is a Gophers forum. However, I agree with SON that its useful in that it shows the passion and energy that a fan base can have for their team. We need more Gopher fans with this kind of enthusiasm.

At first I thought this thread didn't belong here because this is a Gophers forum. However, I agree with SON that its useful in that it shows the passion and energy that a fan base can have for their team. We need more Gopher fans with this kind of enthusiasm.

That's great, but I'll bet half the folks there had no connection to either school. It's was simply "I wanted to be there". You could have this game there every year, and after the 3rd time, the attendance would drop to the middle teens.

That's great, but I'll bet half the folks there had no connection to either school. It's was simply "I wanted to be there". You could have this game there every year, and after the 3rd time, the attendance would drop to the middle teens.

I'm not sure about that. I'd say the vast majority were either students, alumni or parents and relatives of players. It felt like very few people were there simply to watch a football game. This game has been drawing 15,000-17,000 in recent years at the undersized O'Shaunessy stadium and Clemens stadium so if they had it at target field every year, I think they could still get at least 20,000-25,000 if not more. Maybe not 37,000 but quite a few people would still show up every year.

I'm not sure about that. I'd say the vast majority were either students, alumni or parents and relatives of players. It felt like very few people were there simply to watch a football game. This game has been drawing 15,000-17,000 in recent years at the undersized O'Shaunessy stadium and Clemens stadium so if they had it at target field every year, I think they could still get at least 20,000-25,000 if not more. Maybe not 37,000 but quite a few people would still show up every year.

My wife and I didn't go, but my wife (a Tommie) was bummed and wanted to go. I told her, rest assured, I am guessing with the success of the game they will play at Target Field again in the future. It maybe won't be next year, but it will be again someday.

My wife and I didn't go, but my wife (a Tommie) was bummed and wanted to go. I told her, rest assured, I am guessing with the success of the game they will play at Target Field again in the future. It maybe won't be next year, but it will be again someday.

I hear they may play at the Vikings new practice facility in Eagan in two years which will hold about 30,000 I think. SJU does not plan on ever holding it off campus but UST's stadium is just too small.

I hear they may play at the Vikings new practice facility in Eagan in two years which will hold about 30,000 I think. SJU does not plan on ever holding it off campus but UST's stadium is just too small.

Ummm, the practice facility will only be 6,500 seats (expandable to 10,000).

Yep, and you can go one step further down from here to even the high school level. We had a giant crosstown football/basketball rivalry back in my hometown that was, to those involved, the biggest deal ever. It was a rare bird that even got a chance to play DII out of that rivalry, never D1, even when both schools were competing for Michigan state titles.

We all knew that those games were the biggest any of us would ever play in. Even the rare guys who went to D2/D3 football would never play a game bigger than that. (unless they went to St Thomas or St Johns, LOL) Most low division NCAA crowds are smaller and less into it than a fervent high school crowd. It doesn't take the Super Bowl or the BCS title game to get hyped for a rivalry, especially when you are a teenager in a small town.

They could start using the MN United pitch once it is completed. Smidge under 20K, and just up the road from UST.

Top Bottom