Perra: For us involved, Tommies-Johnnies is more intense than any Gopher rivalry

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Senior Conor Rhoda will make his fourth start of 2017 and his fifth overall as the Gophers quarterback when they open the Big Ten schedule against Maryland on Sept. 30 at U.S. Bank Stadium. Junior Jacques Perra will make his fourth start of 2017 as the St. Thomas quarterback when it plays rival St. John’s in a pivotal MIAC game on Saturday at Target Field.

Perra was sitting in a corridor at the Tommies’ outstanding athletic facility this week and was asked if he contemplates what might have been had he remained on the football squad at the University of Minnesota.

He smiled and said: “Once in a while. I can guarantee you that I’m happy for Conor. He worked hard every day to get this chance.’’

And then Perra added: “I couldn’t be happier where I am, being part of this great team, getting ready to play the Johnnies. It’s a different scale, obviously, but for those of us involved, Tommies-Johnnies is more intense than any rivalry for the Gophers … Wisconsin and Iowa included.’’

http://www.startribune.com/jacques-...own-to-st-thomas-st-john-s-rivalry/446863023/

Go Gophers!!

It's so weird to me how people are so into a D3 game. Fully admit that I don't get it cause I went to the U but I honestly am just amazed at how big of a deal this seems to be each year

It's nowhere near as intense. I'm sure it's more intense to play than be 5th string.

It's so weird to me how people are so into a D3 game. Fully admit that I don't get it cause I went to the U but I honestly am just amazed at how big of a deal this seems to be each year

I don't really get it either, but St. Johns does have a pretty good QB this year (PSU transfer) so I guess that might be fun to watch?
I'll be watching the Purdue game, but whatever ha

Not very familiar with the rivalry other than my cousin went to St Johns. He was studying abroad for a semester in England and missed out when they won the DIII national championship game. He found out St John's won by watching the "bottom line" on ESPN.

Two "premier" Catholic schools in the state at least athletically. For many people that's still important for bragging rights. Particularly after all the years of total dominance by the Johnnies.

It's nowhere near as intense. I'm sure it's more intense to play than be 5th string.
Tommie-Johnnie has more players that grew up with the rivalry and they're playing against more players that they know.

Tommie-Johnnie has more players that grew up with the rivalry and they're playing against more players that they know.

Just by pure school size I know that the first part of your statement isn't true.

It's always more intense when you play. He'd probably say the same about Roseville vs Mounds View

It's always more intense when you play. He'd probably say the same about Roseville vs Mounds View

Amen, been involved in what otherwise were nobody teams from nowhere... still had great rivalries.

per Pat:

Senior Conor Rhoda will make his fourth start of 2017 and his fifth overall as the Gophers quarterback when they open the Big Ten schedule against Maryland on Sept. 30 at U.S. Bank Stadium. Junior Jacques Perra will make his fourth start of 2017 as the St. Thomas quarterback when it plays rival St. JohnÂ’s in a pivotal MIAC game on Saturday at Target Field.

Perra was sitting in a corridor at the TommiesÂ’ outstanding athletic facility this week and was asked if he contemplates what might have been had he remained on the football squad at the University of Minnesota.

He smiled and said: “Once in a while. I can guarantee you that I’m happy for Conor. He worked hard every day to get this chance.’’

And then Perra added: “I couldn’t be happier where I am, being part of this great team, getting ready to play the Johnnies. It’s a different scale, obviously, but for those of us involved, Tommies-Johnnies is more intense than any rivalry for the Gophers … Wisconsin and Iowa included.’’

http://www.startribune.com/jacques-...own-to-st-thomas-st-john-s-rivalry/446863023/

Go Gophers!!

Did I miss something or is this a typo?

Shhh. It's all part of the ploy to get Maryland to show up at the wrong place and have to forfeit the game.

-Maryland walks into US Bank Stadium-

Hey wait a minute...

-Big glass doors shut suddenly and Goldy is seen scampering away...-

So fewer than a Gophers game against a MAC opponent.

Well we did have 38,162 in attendance for the Northwestern game last year and they still have one more day to sell tickets so it could get to be about that amount.

I envision Goldy appearing on the big screen saying "I want to play a game".

Except since goldy doesn't speak its just him furiously pantamiming while holding various board games or something

D3 football where just about anyone can play.

Show up and be a tackling dummy and you can play D3 football. You will even get to stand on the sideline and hold a helmet if you want to. Watching D3 slow motion football is not my cup of tea.

Is Game Day coming? Also - what do we think either of these two anonymous teams would do against the top division in Texas high school football? It's a one-time event...let the Catholics have their novelty. If you did it again next year, 1K would show up.

Show up and be a tackling dummy and you can play D3 football. You will even get to stand on the sideline and hold a helmet if you want to. Watching D3 slow motion football is not my cup of tea.
Check out a game sometime, you might be surprised.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have no doubt that the rivalry between the Johnnies and Tommies is super intense, at least where the players are concerned. It's because the game has championship implications for both teams. Wisconsin doesn't take the Gophers seriously right now, and the Gophers and Iowa don't play each other for championships.

Check out a game sometime, you might be surprised.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Been to Bethel, St Thomas, and Augsburg games as well as Concordia St Paul. Did not like the football that much. And I really like watching football. St Thomas does have a lot of talent wandering around though.

Been to Bethel, St Thomas, and Augsburg games as well as Concordia St Paul. Did not like the football that much. And I really like watching football. St Thomas does have a lot of talent wandering around though.
I suppose there are a bunch of people who only want to watch the Vikings. Even if you didn't like football, I think you'd have trouble not enjoying Tommie-Johnnie.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Any good rivalry that is active can be awesome.

Bingo. Just like Perra said, it is a much different scale, but wouldn't be surprised if to them the rivalry is just as, or more, intense than any Gopher rivalry. Guarenteed conference championship, playoff seeding, etc on the line. Obviously, I would much rather watch the Gophers vs. Iowa/Wisconsin any day, but in the U/St. Thomas/Johns seasons the Tommie/Johnnie game has more at stake.

Top Bottom