Hawkeyes unable to sellout Kinnick for biggest game of the year!!

MplsGopherFan

Reaction score
[URL="[/URL]

Night game at Kinnick ... arguably the biggest game of the year for the Hawkeyes, playing against the #4 team in the country, and also the team that represented the B1G in the Rose Bowl last year. They are undefeated and think they have a great team and this is an opportunity to make a huge statement in the B1G. First B1G game of the season. They are the self-proclaimed best, most passionate, loyal fans in the world. They live in a state where there is pretty much nothing else to do ... weather is going to be perfect. It's their big annual ANF (America Needs Farmers) game. Penn State fans travel extremely well. All of that, and they STILL cannot sellout Kinnick ... Interesting ....

I see Iowa is about 13.5 underdogs in this match-up. Sure glad we do not have Penn St this year...

When have we sold our stadium on a consistence run? I think Iowa could laugh at us more on this issue. Grant it nothing else to do down there except combining etc., and that is a very busy time of the year right now.

$95 per ticket probably has something to do with that. Night game also probably deterring some families from attending. Game won't get until around 10 pm and then you still gotta get home. Likely looking at 11 pm or midnight to put kids to bed...

yeahhhhh... as others have said, it is difficult to jump on others for not filling their stadiums.

Night game at Kinnick ... arguably the biggest game of the year for the Hawkeyes, playing against the #4 team in the country, and also the team that represented the B1G in the Rose Bowl last year. They are undefeated and think they have a great team and this is an opportunity to make a huge statement in the B1G. First B1G game of the season. They are the self-proclaimed best, most passionate, loyal fans in the world. They live in a state where there is pretty much nothing else to do ... weather is going to be perfect. It's their big annual ANF (America Needs Farmers) game. Penn State fans travel extremely well. All of that, and they STILL cannot sellout Kinnick ... Interesting ....

Yep, you got a good point. It's not just a problem at TCF.

Football stadiums all over, both college and pro, are having trouble selling tickets and even more so, getting all those buyers into their seats. Badger fans, even though they do sell the place out, have whined for years about all the people who either don't show up or don't get into their seats until halftime. Owners and schools believed that no matter what they charged, people would always want their football.

Sure, but many are choosing to watch it on TV instead of paying or even using those tickets.

Here we not only can't fill it up, we have plenty of people who only watch the games on TV, but whine about the people that do go to the games.

For the past several decades the push from football exces has been to improve the TV experience of watching a game, versus the in-stadium experience. I think they've succeeded at doing that, and as an older generation of "go-to-the-game" people start fading away there's a newer generation of "watch-it-on-line" that's coming on board. Unless they (a) drop ticket prices and (b) focus on improving the "in-stadium" experience, the trend will continue.

Anybody catch a look at the crowd at the USF / Temple game last night? Unreal. Southern Florida uses the Buc's stadium in Tampa. Had to be under15k fans and tons of open seats lower bowl around mid-field. This team is ranked 21st in the country.

Have we ever legitimately had a full house? It's one thing to say you have a sellout. The Twins used to pimp sellouts all the time, but the stadium is still barely 3/4 full (including nosebleeds, which leads one to believe it's not just an absence of season ticket holders).

I'm not sure "sellout" really means anything anymore. Iowa having 4,000 tickets left could still result in a higher ratio of seats filled than sellouts elsewhwhere. You just never be know what's going on in the secondary markets. Is there a benchmark for "sellout" that is actually less than a literal 100% of tickets that vary from the place to place?

Let alone being a lifelong fan of our, frankly, crap program (I love it, but let's admit, we've been an overall bad program for decades), I'm not sure I'm enlightened enough on the inner workings of a sellout to point and laugh on this one.

For that past several decades the push from football exces has been to improve the TV experience of watching a game, versus the in-stadium experience. I think that's happened, and as an older generation of "go-to-the-game" people start fading away there's a newer generation of "watch-it-on-line" that's coming on board. Unless they (a) drop ticket prices and (b) focus on improving the "in-stadium" experience, the trend will continue.

I agree with this.

I'm one of those people. I find it much more enjoyable to forego the hassle and astronomical costs of bringing a family (including young children) to the game, in lieu of being able to drink cheaper beer, sit comfortably without being elbowed and kneed for hours, and actually see what's happening on the field. I also have to drive a significant distance.

I go to a few of the premium games every year (maybe FOMO, I don't know), but usually turn to my wife on the ride home and say, "we could've watched that at home and stayed an extra night on our vacation coming up," or something to that effect. I'm also usually a little miffed, because we never win those games.

Have we ever legitimately had a full house? It's one thing to say you have a sellout. The Twins used to pimp sellouts all the time, but the stadium is still barely 3/4 full (including nosebleeds, which leads one to believe it's not just an absence of season ticket holders).

I'm not sure "sellout" really means anything anymore. Iowa having 4,000 tickets left could still result in a higher ratio of seats filled than sellouts elsewhwhere. You just never be know what's going on in the secondary markets. Is there a benchmark for "sellout" that is actually less than a literal 100% of tickets that vary from the place to place?

Let alone being a lifelong fan of our, frankly, crap program (I love it, but let's admit, we've been an overall bad program for decades), I'm not sure I'm enlightened enough on the inner workings of a sellout to point and laugh on this one.

The 2015 TCU game was a full-house.

$95 per ticket probably has something to do with that. Night game also probably deterring some families from attending. Game won't get until around 10 pm and then you still gotta get home. Likely looking at 11 pm or midnight to put kids to bed...

They stuck it to season ticket holders a couple years ago like MN did and some people took offense to it. Pricing has a lot to do with it.

The U reported average attendance of 52,355 in 2015. I know your point is that the numbers aren't legitimate, but all the home games that year looked pretty full. And if there were 1,000 or so less in a few of those games, that's still more than TCF holds without the extra seata for the Vikings.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Push comes to shove. You only have so much money and you have other things going on as well. Seems to be quite a bit of money to shell out just for one game that doesn't including gas to get there, parking and concessions. We've had to cut back as well.

Always good to have a thread like this once in a while, to expose the closet rival fans...true believers know you should knock your rivals whenever you can.

I see Iowa is about 13.5 underdogs in this match-up. Sure glad we do not have Penn St this year...
No way, I really want to see the Gophers play Penn State this year. Of course that would mean the Gophers and Penn State getting to Indianapolis to make that happen. Anything is possible when your dreaming about football I guess.
Sure would like to see the Gophers get another crack at stopping Penn State and knocking them out of the top 4 potential.

They can't sell out a 70K stadium. We can't sell out a 50k stadium.

What a bunch of losers. Can't even sell out their stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always good to have a thread like this once in a while, to expose the closet rival fans...true believers know you should knock your rivals whenever you can.

Exactly! Gopherhole has been infested with trolls forever (especially since PJ was hired) and some of our Hawkeyes trolls have been exposed. I guess that is bound to happen when over 75% of their alumni leave Iowa after graduation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to be the best...

Got to stop complaining about schedules and start raising expectations or we will perpetuate the purgatory.

The bigger issue here is not Gopher vs. Hawkeyes, but rather all levels of fandom have a tipping point value wise when it comes to tickets. The Gophers saw it with their scholarship donations. How the schools react is what is the interesting part. Does the school say, we are willing to have empty seats and charge more? Or do they value the optics of a sellout? It sounds from that article that Iowa seems to be more concerned with a full stadium. I know they don't want to devalue season tickets by having cheaper single game tickets, but you also don't want your season ticket holders looking around at empty seats and wondering if just buying single game tickets when they want isn't a better route?

Top Bottom