Do you agree Minnesota a sleeping giant? If so, when/how does it wake up?

I think that the University of Minnesota football program is like a sleeping giant. It has been sleeping a little bit but our promise to you is that we want to do this – our seniors came to me and said their mission statement for next season is “we will make history again.”
-Tim Brewster 4/5/2007

We've heard from quite a few people that Minnesota football is a sleeping giant. After being around here for just a few hours, I can see why people feel that way."
-Matt Limegrover 12/10/2010

Think the 2012 Gophers are a sleeping giant, a rapidly improving squad that's better than the five that came before it? Well of course they are.
-Phil Miller, Star Tribune 12/26/2012

From the outside looking in, I always felt Minnesota was like a sleeping giant.
-Bart Miller 3/31/2016

A common refrain.

What most GopherHolers fail to understand is that Eric Kaler is the first U president in over 50 years to recognize the need and provide the resources for the football team to try to compete for Big 10 Championships and also beat their trophy rivals on a regular basis. Yes, the U is a sleeping giant and Kaler has poked the giant with a stick to wake it up. What remains to be seen is whether or not the U presidents who follow Kaler will continue with his commitment to the football program. That continued commitment will depend in large part on whether or not U alumni, season ticketholders, and fans DEMAND a winning football program in the same way they do at the successful Big 10 schools. U football has far too many fans who have been all too willing to accept mediocre Big 10 results and and trips to minor bowl games as a successful season.

We're a giant that has been dead for 50 years, that needs Dr. Frankenstein to reanimate the rotting corpse.

It's a different game now. You have to be willing to do some unsavory things, and take some unsavory players, to be a "giant." We're kicking guys off the team right now for smoking pot, the Alabama's of the world have boosters procuring it for them, plus prostitutes, plus buying every player on the roster their dream car and keeping them flush with 100s (google it).

If I'm not mistaken, and take this as you will, but our success many decades ago was largely due to the U spearheading de-segregation. In other words, we took a bunch of players that few else would, based upon race. Call that racist, or bigotry, but it's a sad fact of life at that time.

Not advocating one way or the other, just stating facts. If you want to win a national championship, you need the kids who "aren't here to play school," and you need boosters willing to buy them. We've chosen a different path, and don't have the boosters, which I'm OK with. We'll just have to settle for a B1G West title once every blue moon at the most optimistic.

What most GopherHolers fail to understand is that Eric Kaler is the first U president in over 50 years to recognize the need and provide the resources for the football team to try to compete for Big 10 Championships and also beat their trophy rivals on a regular basis. Yes, the U is a sleeping giant and Kaler has poked the giant with a stick to wake it up. What remains to be seen is whether or not the U presidents who follow Kaler will continue with his commitment to the football program. That continued commitment will depend in large part on whether or not U alumni, season ticketholders, and fans DEMAND a winning football program in the same way they do at the successful Big 10 schools. U football has far too many fans who have been all too willing to accept mediocre Big 10 results and and trips to minor bowl games as a successful season.

Kaler is working endlessly to turn this into a football powerhouse, all of the sudden? That escalated quickly.

The Warmath teams were great in the early 60s and again in '67 and did benefit greatly from the segregation in the South, plus were more aggressive than some Big Ten peers in bringing in black players, even from non-southern states like Pennsylvania. . The NC teams of the 30s and 40s were consistently stronger and more dominant than the Warmath era teams and did not have that same advantage.

I am not sure what the difference maker was back in those Bernie B. days, but Minnesota did have a much bigger stadium and more fan support than most teams and was the only game in town in a very big, resource rich market.

If some of the stories can be believed, the U of M did not exactly follow the straight and narrow path back then in terms of admitting only good students and not paying players. It has been implied, even by Sid, that some of the players had no business being in Collage and may not have really even been expected to attend class. It has also been suggested that the business community took care of the players very well back in those days as well. Bud Grant could probably tell a few stories about this as well, but probably never would.

P.J. is a ringing alarm clock. He is changing his best, and recruiting better each day. That is change. He celebrates change, welcomes the challenge. When was the last time that an Alabama DT transfered to Minnesota? To be well with in the top 25 recruiting to Minnesota? Wait, what? The media needs to wake up and improve their coverage, rather than poo pooing the culture.

A large part of our inability to win is because of subpar coaches hired for 50 years by a university that was never committed to the program. We might not have had all of the professional teams in the good old days, but the population of the twin cities was a lot less also. There is plenty of economic and fan base here to contend in the west every year. I think that our current commitment with the village/stadium and coach, we maybe finally putting ourselves on the map. We need to build a program that can consistently compete with Wisconsin. Love 'me or hate 'em, they are the class of where we play.

The media needs to wake up and improve their coverage, rather than poo pooing the culture.
The media has no responsibility in improving the team. The Gophers get the coverage they have earned over the decades.

Minnesota can be very good in BIG west. We are set up for success. How come NDSU, UMD, St. John's, St. Thomas, Mankato can all compete and win on a national level and UM cannot? It has a lot to do with commitment. Over the last 50 years, we have not committed the resources other BIG schools have.

The media has no responsibility in improving the team. The Gophers get the coverage they have earned over the decades.

I agree the media has no responsibility to help the team. They certainly haven't though, and most likely have hurt the team.

Minnesota can be very good in BIG west. We are set up for success. How come NDSU, UMD, St. John's, St. Thomas, Mankato can all compete and win on a national level and UM cannot? It has a lot to do with commitment.

And a totally different level of play.

As for commitment and competing at a national level, neither UMD or MSU won their titles with the Division II maximum allotment for scholarships. The NCAA max is 36 (which can be split up in Division II), while until a couple of years ago the NSIC had a max of 24.

1. Minnesota can be very good in BIG west. We are set up for success. How come NDSU, UMD, St. John's, St. Thomas, Mankato can all compete and win on a national level and UM cannot? It has a lot to do with commitment. Over the last 50 years, we have not committed the resources other BIG schools have.

And a totally different level of play.

As for commitment and competing at a national level, neither UMD or MSU won their titles with the Division II maximum allotment for scholarships. The NCAA max is 36 (which can be split up in Division II), while until a couple of years ago the NSIC had a max of 24.

1. Yep

2. And +1

I’m probably one of the few current Gopherhole posters who was a student at the University when we went to the Rose Bowl in 1960 and 1961. Those were my junior and senior years. Our success was in large part due to the willingness of Coach Murray Warmath, with the support of then President Morrill, to recruit African American players. See Lehmberg & Pflaum, The University of Minnesota 1945-2000 at 69-70. Minnesota was one of the first major universities in the country to do so. Ibid. That effort, moreover, was assisted by a then young African American journalist by the name of Carl Rowan, who had earned a masters in journalism from the university. Ibid. Among those recruits were quarterback Sandy Stephens and tackles, Bobby Bell and Carl Eller. They were tremendous football players.
At the same time there was a strong sentiment among the faculty that inter-collegiate revenue sports were being over-emphasized. There was, as I recall, a movement to follow the path of one time Big Ten member, the University of Chicago, and drop out of the conference. That didn’t happen, but I don’t think the university has ever matched the commitment to it revenue sports it had under Morrill until now. I think much of the credit for the university’s renewed commitment has to be given to Eric Kaler. And with that renewed commitment, I’m optimistic that Minnesota’s revenue sports can become consistently competitive. Yes, I have some problems with how Kaler and Coyle handled the suspension of those football players who were added to the list of accused at the end of last season and the firing of Coach Claeys. But I agree with the latter decision. And I do believe that we are potentially a “sleeping giant.” I just hope that I am around long enough to enjoy it.

I’m probably one of the few current Gopherhole posters who was a student at the University when we went to the Rose Bowl in 1960 and 1961. Those were my junior and senior years. Our success was in large part due to the willingness of Coach Murray Warmath, with the support of then President Morrill, to recruit African American players. See Lehmberg & Pflaum, The University of Minnesota 1945-2000 at 69-70. Minnesota was one of the first major universities in the country to do so. Ibid. That effort, moreover, was assisted by a then young African American journalist by the name of Carl Rowan, who had earned a masters in journalism from the university. Ibid. Among those recruits were quarterback Sandy Stephens and tackles, Bobby Bell and Carl Eller. They were tremendous football players.
At the same time there was a strong sentiment among the faculty that inter-collegiate revenue sports were being over-emphasized. There was, as I recall, a movement to follow the path of one time Big Ten member, the University of Chicago, and drop out of the conference. That didn’t happen, but I don’t think the university has ever matched the commitment to it revenue sports it had under Morrill until now. I think much of the credit for the university’s renewed commitment has to be given to Eric Kaler. And with that renewed commitment, I’m optimistic that Minnesota’s revenue sports can become consistently competitive. Yes, I have some problems with how Kaler and Coyle handled the suspension of those football players who were added to the list of accused at the end of last season and the firing of Coach Claeys. But I agree with the latter decision. And I do believe that we are potentially a “sleeping giant.” I just hope that I am around long enough to enjoy it.

Great post, appreciate the historical insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I firmly believe the Giant has awoken and is currently stretching his legs!

Of course UMinn is a sleeping giant. While MN doesn't produce a ton of top-end football talent, the fact remains that the U is the only D1 power school in the state, and is THE place that out-state talent looks first. The problem has been lack of keeping the little top-end talent home, or, conversely, replacing that vacant top-end talent with top-end talent from elsewhere.

As seen by the support for the Lynx, U womens volleyball, U womens softball, U wrestling, U basketball (usually), the massive support for a Vikings team that has had but little to really cheer about in decades, and continued reasonable support for a couple of recently-terrible franchises in the Twins and TWolves, Minnesota fans WILL come out in droves to cheer for a winner.

Again, go back to 2003 and all Mason had to do was stop the Perry screen pass to wake up that sleeping giant for more than a singular game. That singular meltdown in the 4th Q against Michigan (along with other inexplicable late meltdowns) set the program back at least a decade; the giant was very temporarily awoken. It will wake again, when the time is right.

I see the new regime's player discipline emphasis and charisma putting us in a good position to win close games and close recruiting battles.

The little things are the difference between average bowl games every year and competing for a B1G championship game place every year. We've been on the doorstep a few times but have choked it away at key moments (sometimes it can be down to bad luck, sometimes down to shooting ourselves in the foot - we can fix the latter). Better discipline can mean the world. Think Wisconsin basketball program in recent years.

LOOK magazine ran a story in 1951 with the headline, "Can Fesler Rouse the Sleeping Giant of the North?" Turned out Wes Fesler couldn't, but Murray Warmath could, if briefly. Since then mostly snoozing. Attendance reflects the heavy concentration of professional sports in the area, most playing at the same time.

As far as a "sleeping giant" - as others have said, it's a puzzle with multiple - often moving - pieces. Commitment from administration, faculty, athletic department; a robust, if not rabid student body following; national exposure in the media; - but it all starts with winning. MN fans have shown they will support a winner.

the Twins 1st 7 seasons in MN, they were either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the American League in attendance. In 1988, the year after winning the World Series, the Twins were the 1st team to ever draw more than 3 million fans in a season. We've seen the same thing with Gopher hoops, the North Stars, the Wild, etc. Win and you will draw - in that order - for at least a couple of years.

IF the Gophers could rattle off a 10-win season, win a major bowl game, or win a B1G title, there will be sellouts. Do it again, and they could build up a waiting list for season tickets, and even entertain thoughts of expanding TCF. But it all starts with winning.

So, what will it take for the Gophers to move up into that level of College FB? Better players, better coaching. If Fleck can bring in a higher level of recruits, and if his staff can turn that talent into a good team, then the Gophers could become a top-level team again. Maybe not a national championship team, but a solid team that at least contends for conference titles.

If the Gophers start winning consistently, maybe they can bring some boosters into the fold to support the program with more money (legally!!!) I am not advocating we start paying players under the table. that never works for MN. we just can't cheat successfully. We always get caught.

As far as a "sleeping giant" - as others have said, it's a puzzle with multiple - often moving - pieces. Commitment from administration, faculty, athletic department; a robust, if not rabid student body following; national exposure in the media; - but it all starts with winning. MN fans have shown they will support a winner.

the Twins 1st 7 seasons in MN, they were either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the American League in attendance. In 1988, the year after winning the World Series, the Twins were the 1st team to ever draw more than 3 million fans in a season. We've seen the same thing with Gopher hoops, the North Stars, the Wild, etc. Win and you will draw - in that order - for at least a couple of years.

IF the Gophers could rattle off a 10-win season, win a major bowl game, or win a B1G title, there will be sellouts. Do it again, and they could build up a waiting list for season tickets, and even entertain thoughts of expanding TCF. But it all starts with winning.

So, what will it take for the Gophers to move up into that level of College FB? Better players, better coaching. If Fleck can bring in a higher level of recruits, and if his staff can turn that talent into a good team, then the Gophers could become a top-level team again. Maybe not a national championship team, but a solid team that at least contends for conference titles.

If the Gophers start winning consistently, maybe they can bring some boosters into the fold to support the program with more money (legally!!!) I am not advocating we start paying players under the table. that never works for MN. we just can't cheat successfully. We always get caught.

? You mean I shouldn't be giving players $100 handshakes every time I see them? Oh. (jk)

+1

Top Bottom