Rochester Post Bulletin: Minnesota football teams going in different directions

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Post Bulletin:

PHERSY: The Gophers defense has been incredible so far this season. Yes, it's been against a soft nonconference schedule, but that crew has been impressive nonetheless. And how's this — the Gophers haven't given up a single point in the second half of a game this season. It feels like a complete reversal of previous seasons, when the team was continually out-played in the second half of games. I'm not putting too much stock in the hot start, but it's encouraging. The Gophers are banged up, so having a bye this weekend is perfect timing. We'll know much, much more about this team in two weeks, when they take on a very tough Maryland squad.

FELDY: It's OK to be cautiously optimistic at this point. This Gophers team is eating up the cupcakes it's being fed. We haven't always seen that out of past Gophers teams. That's a credit to the coaching staff. P.J. Fleck is probably sprinting up and down his stairs with a notebook in hand, late at night, thinking of ways to get past Maryland. The Minnesota 'D' has been outstanding so far, but the offense has — surprisingly at times — moved the ball well, primarily on the ground.

PHERSY: Well, they've got two of the best running backs in the country, and even without those two, being able to plug in a horse like Koby McCrary is a nice luxury. The defensive secondary still concerns me. They've yet to be truly tested by a good offense. That could have happened last weekend, but Middle Tennessee State was without its starting QB and best wide receiver. After the the loss of several key starters, to both graduation and transfers, I'm pleased with what this team has shown through three games. The schedule gets tougher, but I have a great deal of faith in this coaching staff.

FELDY: We've looked at P.J. Fleck's arrival in Minnesota as a series of tests. He passed the first with flying colors, generating excitement throughout the Twin Cities and the state, and most importantly generating excitement among young football players, potential future Gophers. He's passed the second as well, getting through the nonconference schedule with momentum built up. He and his staff have earned some respect and some time to get this program adapted to playing at the Big Ten level. Yes, the schedule gets tougher as they go, but Fleck has his players buying in, and that's what ultimately counts most.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_59d06c56-7213-5d32-a3cc-15da5d2a275d.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom