Pointless Fact Friday

hello-world

Reaction score
2017 was the first time since 2006 that the Gophers have made it through an entire non-conference schedule without giving up 20+ points to any one team.

giphy.gif

That 2006 team sure ended the season well. :rolleyes:

Three TD's allowed this year thus far:

1) A 68-yard drive by Buffalo including a 50-yard completion.

2) A short TD by Oregon State after the Demry fumble.

3) An 80-yard drive by Oregon State.

So through three games, albeit against inferior competition, the defense has allowed one long, sustained touchdown drive. Pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three TD's allowed this year thus far:

1) A 68-yard drive by Buffalo including a 50-yard completion.

2) A short TD by Oregon State after the Demry fumble.

3) An 80-yard drive by Oregon State.

So through three games, albeit against inferior competition, the defense has allowed one long, sustained touchdown drive. Pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the 80 yard drive had a fake punt circus catch to keep it alive.

2017 was the first time since 2006 that the Gophers have made it through an entire non-conference schedule without giving up 20+ points to any one team.

Something that hasn't gotten the play it deserves. New coaching staff has done a fine job with all the talent it inherited.

And the 80 yard drive had a fake punt circus catch to keep it alive.

A fact that Fleck referenced when he said he wasn't upset about it. Paraphrasing, he said that it was a good throw and a great catch and can't blame anybody for that.

That 2006 team sure ended the season well. :rolleyes:

That brings up an interesting irony. If the Gophers had not won their finale against Iowa, they would have missed a bowl and the epic meltdown that ended Mason's coaching career. I don't think a loss to Iowa would have finished him.

That brings up an interesting irony. If the Gophers had not won their finale against Iowa, they would have missed a bowl and the epic meltdown that ended Mason's coaching career. I don't think a loss to Iowa would have finished him.

Whats also interesting is that JJ Watt was enrolled at Minnesota then decided to transfer to Wisconsin after Mason was fired.. Not 100% sure though.

And, pointless fact Friday, did you know that Gopher 1920's coach Doc Spears went on to coach for Wisconsin in the 1930's. Sometimes history must never repeat--or Brewster's available.

Since I was at the 2006 Cal Bear game in which Mason refused to play Pinnix, I know 2006 Wasn't true.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_California_Golden_Bears_football_team#Minnesota_Golden_Gophers

"Minnesota Golden Gophers[edit]
1 2 3 4 Total
Golden Gophers 7 10 0 0 17
Golden Bears 7 21 7 7 42
See also: 2006 Minnesota Golden Gophers football team
Cal got its first home game of the season on September 9 against the Minnesota Golden Gophers in front of a crowd of 55,035. The Gophers were 1–0 with their win against Kent State. Minnesota scored on its first drive, but the Bears bounced back with a touchdown in the first and second quarter to receivers Robert Jordan and DeSean Jackson, respectively. The Gophers' Dominic Jones responded with a 99-yard kickoff return touchdown. Eventually California pulled ahead on two touchdowns by Jackson, and led 28–17 at the half, and with two more touchdowns in the third and fourth quarter on rushes by Marshawn Lynch, the Bears put the Gophers away 42–17.
Nate Longshore bounced back in a big way from his previous start, finishing 22 for 31 with 300 yards and 4 touchdowns. He later joked about how it felt good to finally play a fourth quarter.
Lynch finished with 139 yards and 2 touchdowns on 27 carries, while backup running back Justin Forsett gathered 77 rushing yards of his own. Receivers Lavelle Hawkins and DeSean Jackson both finished with over 100 yards, with Jackson gathering three touchdowns as well. Cal got 531 yards of offense in all, compared to Minnesota's 352. Minnesota quarterback Bryan Cupito was 21 for 33 with 243 yards and 2 interceptions, both picked by Cal cornerback Daymeion Hughes.
With this loss, the Golden Gophers lost their first non-conference game in 18 tries, the longest streak in the Big Ten.[6]
Cal rose in the polls one spot in the AP Poll to #21, and two spots in the Coaches Poll to #21, after this win.[7

If I remember correctly, the 50 yard completion against Buffalo was a fantastic throw and catch. One of those plays where you tip your hat to the opposition and hope your team can stop them the following play.

Looks like it was 1999 since we gave up less than 20 in non conference games.

Whats also interesting is that JJ Watt was enrolled at Minnesota then decided to transfer to Wisconsin after Mason was fired.. Not 100% sure though.

???? Watt was never offered by UW. He played at central Michigan before walking on at Wisconsin

Top Bottom