StarTrib: Lucia Optimistic

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...mpetition-and-healthy-team-leaders/446560443/

During Thursday’s Big Ten men’s hockey teleconference, 19th-year Gophers coach Don Lucia sounded upbeat about the upcoming season.

His team has been practicing, getting ready for a home exhibition against Alberta on Oct. 1. The Gophers open the regular season at Minnesota Duluth on Oct. 6 in the Ice Breaker tournament.

After last year’s first-round NCAA tournament exit against Notre Dame, the Gophers lost senior forwards Justin Kloos and Vinni Lettieri, and defenseman Ryan Collins, an early departure for the NHL.

But Tyler Sheehy, last season’s Big Ten Player of the Year, is back, along with two-time Big Ten Goaltender of the Year Eric Schierhorn.

Here are three other takeaways from Lucia on Thursday:

1. Novak, Lindgren are back

2. New goalie could contend

3. Mittelstadt impresses

If they don't win a tournament game again, it should be his last.

Lucky for him, he's got a first team all american to go along with the best recruit in ten years. The defense and goalie will make or break the team.

If they don't win a tournament game again, it should be his last.

Lucky for him, he's got a first team all american to go along with the best recruit in ten years. The defense and goalie will make or break the team.
Pretty much. Has an excellent roster this season and a veteran goaltender. Still, I've seen Lucia teams routinely waste talent, so if it happens again, I'm not going to be the least bit surprised.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Team is ranked #3 in the initial USCHO.com poll. Behind only Denver and BU

Last 10 preseason rankings and finish (bold at or above 3):
07-08: 5th, first round loss
08-09: 10th, no NCAA
09-10: 9th, no NCAA
10-11: 15th, no NCAA
11-12: 19th, FF
12-13: 2nd, first round loss
13-14: 5th, Championship loss
14-15: 1st, first round loss
15-16: 9th, no NCAA
16-17: 13th, first round loss

Last 10 preseason rankings and finish (bold at or above 3):
07-08: 5th, first round loss
08-09: 10th, no NCAA
09-10: 9th, no NCAA
10-11: 15th, no NCAA
11-12: 19th, FF
12-13: 2nd, first round loss
13-14: 5th, Championship loss
14-15: 1st, first round loss
15-16: 9th, no NCAA
16-17: 13th, first round loss

Yeah - I didn't mean to be arguing against your mandate for Lucia. I agree. I was just adding some info that I thought was relevant to this thread.

Top Bottom