Nebraska Fires AD Eichorst

No, I don't think he will. It's just weird to put the context of "clamoring for a change" when their current coach is interim and a very small percentage of interim coaches are actually kept on full-time.

Of the jobs you listed, I predict that only Ole Miss, A&M, and maybe Arkansas will hire new coaches.

Fair enough - in retrospect "clamoring" may not have been the best word choice. I think you are underestimating the angst in Auburn and Knoxville (I think 8-4 gets Gus fired and 7-5 get's Butch fired)...I also forgot to include LSU in my original statement - Coach "O" is looking quite vulnerable as well. You probably make a good point with Florida, though...I keep forgetting that "East" awards a champ every year. I heard a lot of radio comments this week (yeah I know) from Florida fans that were actually upset that they beat Tennessee because it will make it harder to fire their coach.

I love watching all of these schools fire successful coaches. If you're consistently winning 7 to 8 games a year then you are in a good position to make a run with tweaks instead of turnarounds. They're hurting their programs by trying to win the next Saban lottery.

Fair enough - in retrospect "clamoring" may not have been the best word choice. I think you are underestimating the angst in Auburn and Knoxville (I think 8-4 gets Gus fired and 7-5 get's Butch fired)...I also forgot to include LSU in my original statement - Coach "O" is looking quite vulnerable as well. You probably make a good point with Florida, though...I keep forgetting that "East" awards a champ every year. I heard a lot of radio comments this week (yeah I know) from Florida fans that were actually upset that they beat Tennessee because it will make it harder to fire their coach.

That is accurate regarding Gator fans, they are far from enamored with McElwain, fair or not.

He's recruited pretty poorly for FLA standards and his offenses have been giant flaming turds for his entire tenure.

That is accurate regarding Gator fans, they are far from enamored with McElwain, fair or not.

He's recruited pretty poorly for FLA standards and his offenses have been giant flaming turds for his entire tenure.

Also McElwain humps sharks despite denying it.

Then he gets offended after being outed for his shark humping....(kinda NSFW link)

And more seriously McElwain has no problem with a player who has been busy flopping trying to pick up penalties on the other team.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They keep trying but they are never going to be better than what they were in the 90's. Their glory days are over.

I remember reading a whole bunch of articles that 'Bama's glory days were behind them and then Nick Saban walked in. While the Huskers aren't a given to return to national prominence like, say, Michigan, their chances are better than most programs.

They keep trying but they are never going to be better than what they were in the 90's. Their glory days are over.

I think they were a great addition to the Big 10 and I doubt they have any regrets about joining, but one has to wonder where their program would be if they were still in the Big 12.

I think they were a great addition to the Big 10 and I doubt they have any regrets about joining, but one has to wonder where their program would be if they were still in the Big 12.

The B12 seems to do just fine being so-so on their own. It's not like Texas has benefited in recent years....

Unless the new AD hires Scott Frost, the state may boycott corn.

I've stated this before. In Big 8 Conference......minimum 6 wins +1 if defeating OU. Big XII....guaranteed wins.....a lot.

The truth is, their success was built on the back of playing cupcakes and being able to get kids in to school who couldn’t qualify anywhere else. Go look at their yearly records. Things went south in the late 90s after Prop 48 was thrown out and they actually had to recruit students like everybody else.

Prop 48 ended in 1986. Nebraska had it's most dominate teams in the mid 90's. Lot's of things have changed over the decades to alter the landscape but bad decisions regarding coaches is the dominate reason for their current state.

In the press conference Chancellor Green when pressed for what he wanted stated he would like to go back to 1998.
The AD was Bill Byrne, The Head Coach Tom Osborne. And the Chancellor was Harvey Perlman. Those close to the program point to Perlman destroying the program.

Here is a synopsis from a facebook post fireharvey https://www.facebook.com/fireharveyp/posts/466986526819315fir

It should be noted Bryne was at Nebraska till 2002 when Texas A&M made an offer, and Nebraska did not.

Firing Frank Solich was a not a good decision. Maybe they should have tried to get Barry Alvarez to take the job back when Tom Osborne stepped down.

What Saban has done at Alabama is very impressive, as most of these blue blood programs have found it harder to dominate once the NCAA changed the rules and leveled out he playing field. In the old days these programs could stockpile all the players they wanted with their huge amounts of funding, and they would recruit players, good players who never played, just to keep them away from the opposition. Texas, the SEC elite, Nebraska, and even Michigan/ OSU where well known for this tactic.

Once this went away teams like Iowa, Michigan St. Illinois and others started to rise. The old Big 2, Little 8 was not just about the brilliance of Bo and Woody, but partially structural.

Prop 48 ended in 1986. Nebraska had it's most dominate teams in the mid 90's. Lot's of things have changed over the decades to alter the landscape but bad decisions regarding coaches is the dominate reason for their current state.

It was enacted in 1986.
Anyways, I think this article once shed light on their impending downfall.

It was enacted in 1986.
Anyways, I think this article once shed light on their impending downfall.

Nice link, thank you. That article from the 90s summed up what I recalled and tried to state on the last post. Nebraska Football might be great again once in a while, but the old days are long gone.

What's next for Nebraska? Fire Perlman?

What's next for Nebraska? Fire Perlman?

No need to he stepped down in 2016. Green is now the Chancellor, and his comments about 1998 was as much about a standard as it was about the tenure of Perlman.

I think Green who says he will consult with Tom Osborne about the new AD, is all about who can we hire with a specific mission statement. Bring Scott Frost back to Nebraska. Whatever it takes.

Top Bottom