What have we learned from the Gophers’ non-conference performance?

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The results of the Gophers’ three non-conference games produced positive outcomes. The question is: how the team will apply this success when Big Ten play begins Sept. 30 against Maryland?

Is this type of play sustainable? It’s a question everyone can start to answer after Minnesota’s first three conference games.

However, during the non-conference games, it was clear to see the execution and disciplined nature of the team. Sure, the level of competition warrants skepticism. Nonetheless, Minnesota showed an ability to win games against opponents they should handle. The last time the Gophers beat two consecutive opponents by 30 or more points was in 2005.

Convincingly winning non-conference games is one thing; beating Big Ten rivals is another. We’ll eventually find out what the Gophers are made of, but they’ve shown impressive growth in a few key areas during their first three games.

Preventing turnovers and penalties

The Gophers have executed their gameplan and limited costly mistakes. It’s been a formula for P.J. Fleck’s past teams. Minnesota currently ranks 26th nationally in penalties per game. They are averaging just 4.3 per matchup, which sits fourth among Big Ten schools. The disciplined nature of this team has allowed them to sustain drives and produce third-down stops. More importantly, they have limited their total mistakes. Minnesota currently ranks 20th nationally in turnover margin and has committed just two giveaways in three games. It’s clear to see the players are coached to focus on the details of their respective positions. They haven’t made catastrophic mistakes offensively and are averaging two takeaways per game on defense. Winning the turnover battle with a +1.3 margin has placed the offense in more favorable situations. If this trend can continue, it will keep the Gophers within striking distance in many games.

More on 1500ESPN: http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2017/09/learned-gophers-non-conference-performance/

Winning the turnover battle with a +1.3 margin has placed the offense in more favorable situations. If this trend can continue, it will keep the Gophers within striking distance in many games.

the blossoming success of their offensive line, combined with a booming running game may be enough to keep Minnesota in games.

Disciplined football has been an integral key to their success, which can drastically improve a team’s chances in close games.

Sounds good!
Thanks. Good article.

I learned that PJ Fleck is a better coach than Tim Brewster, though I don't think that I had much doubt about that before he got here.

The Gophers have whacked two out of the three teams they played, one of them on the road.

Regardless of the quality of Oregon State, that's not the sort of thing a Gopher football team has done to anyone on the road very often in the recent past.

Fleck seems to have some "buy in" from the players. We'll see how they react when they get smacked up side the head with some adversity.

Nothing... Yet.

They do play very disciplined football. Let the B1G season begin!

Records in first year as Gophers coach

Wacker 2-9
Mason 3-9
Brewster 1-11
Kill 3-9
Claeys 2-4
Fleck 3-0

Records in first year as Gophers coach

Wacker 2-9
Mason 3-9
Brewster 1-11
Kill 3-9
Claeys 2-4
Fleck 3-0

You should put a star or something next to Claeys because those two wins were in the B1G.
Also, I don't want to take too much away from Fleck because I've been really impressed so far, but he does have a much better team than anyone else you listed (except for Claeys, but, again, B1G).

I learned that, on defense, while the front 7 is awesome, the secondary is going to have some trouble.

Offensively, QB play is again going to hold this team back.

I guess just about anyone could've be told you those things before the non-con.

I understand playing it close to the vest and not showing more than we need to get the W. However, I was disappointed to see us avoid a chance to work on our passing game once MTSU was essentially a win. We've been down this road with Kill/Claeys; then, when passing in a conference game becomes essential, we struggle. Giving Rhoda/receivers more opportunities in a game setting didn't mean we would have to empty our secret bag of tricks. Future opponents will have more info, but so will we!

The Gophers are 3-0 under Fleck. I suspect they would also have been 3-0 under Claeys, Kill, or Fred Farkle.

If the Coaching staff is making a difference, I think there will be clearer evidence of that in the B1G schedule. You learn a lot more about a team when it faces stronger competition. I don't think you can honestly describe any of the first three games as stronger competition.

Can this team win close games? can they avoid 4th-quarter let-downs? Can the QB's complete a key pass at a key moment? Those are all questions that remain to be answered about this team.

Most football teams keep things pretty simple to start the season as far as the playbook. Once you get into the season more you open up the playbook more. Of course, it depends on the game itself and your opponent. The Gophers were pretty successful running the ball against Oregon State and Middle Tennessee so there was no urgent need to get the passing game going. The Rhoda-Johnson connection has been fun to watch as far as developing the passing game.

The defense has been very solid the first 3 games and hopefully that will continue.

One thing that caught my attention the first 3 games was how the team responded in the 2nd half and seemed to take control of the games in the 2nd half.

Maryland will be a good test for this Gophers team. How will they respond coming off the bye week? Maryland put up 51 points in their win at Texas. They also beat Towson 63-17.

I think the Gophers will need to attack Maryland on the ground and win the time of possession battle. It will be important to keep that Maryland offense off the field and keep your own defense fresh.

No reason we cannot fill that stadium up on Saturday 9/30 to open the Big Ten season. It's going to be a really good game with what should be a 3-0 Maryland team against a 3-0 Minnesota team.

Current weather forecast is calling for a high of 60 and partly cloudy for Saturday 9/30 so weather will hopefully not be an issue...perfect autumn day for football.

We're still in national title contention three weeks into the season.
That's really what's important.
Can't beat Bama if we don't get into the playoffs.

What we really need is for Maryland to come here undefeated and Purdue to knock off Michigan so we can't start piling up those ranked wins early.

I think the Gophers will need to attack Maryland on the ground and win the time of possession battle. It will be important to keep that Maryland offense off the field and keep your own defense fresh.

Time of possession
4. Minnesota 36:44
117. Maryland 25:43

Well we know it isn't a total dumpster fire.

Beyond that it is really hard to be sure of anything.

Easy to do when you can run... but man just a few 3 and outs and some bad runs and things swing the other way wildly.

Especially with how soft our corners have been. Our safeties can make up for a lot, but it only takes one blown coverage to lose a game.
Need to keep those guys off the field as much as possible.
That said, I have seen them play better than this, so I'm extremely hopeful that they will improve in a big way before Maryland.

Top Bottom