Week 4 Other Games Thread

Buffalo and MTSU both won. That helps our RPI, right? :cool:

Let's rename these other team threads to "'why not us' - other teams week ___"

Let's go to Pasadena or the playoff.

Penn St and Florida both with some luck on their side tonight.

Florida scores TD in final minute.
Kentucky gets ball with 40-some seconds.
Get into FG position.
Break a run for 10 yards, but holding.
Out of FG range.
Run another play with 6 seconds left to gain 7 yards.
FG attempt - short.

He's basically been the other half of the offense... got them down field and just won it with with a pass.

Of course he does that after my criticisms.

Its Barkley's world and everyone else lives in

Boom. Even Leidner can punch it in with 4 throws inside the 10...

Just result by a bit. This bodes well for the Gophers. Iowa solid but no better than us. PSU manageable in the conference championship game.

Go look at that last drive. He had 68 yards passing and 12 rushing. Moved them 80 yards in 1:30.

James Franklin and Co combined to coach one of the worst games in recent memory. 4th and goal from the 1 yard line? Lets kick a field goal. Defense dominating in the first half? Let's put ourselves in position to fumble with 30 seconds left and the ball on our 45. Up 5 with 20 seconds left in the half? Lets play a defense that somehow allows a touchdown. Up 8 in the 4th quarter against a team that can't move the ball on us? Lets run a blitz on 3rd and 6 and let a back go for 70 yard TD because there was nobody to cover him. Up 2 and have the ball in the redzone with ~3 min left? Let's run some sort of shovel pass on 3rd down way short of the sticks. Down 4 with first and goal, one timeout and about 20 seconds left in the game? Lets run 3 consecutive plays where we fail to THROW THE BALL TO THE ENDZONE! They were saved by a 4th down catch that I am not even sure was caught by the guy who McSorely threw it to given I think 3 PSU wr's all had their routes going to the same spot on the field...

Barkley is the best B1G running back since...????

Well the Big Ten has had some good ones over the years. Le'Veon Bell, Ezekiell Elliott, Melvin Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Montee Ball to name a few. Barkely is certainly the most dynamic RB this conference has had in a long, long time. Is he better than all of those guys listed above? I don't know.

James Franklin and Co combined to coach one of the worst games in recent memory. 4th and goal from the 1 yard line? Lets kick a field goal. Defense dominating in the first half? Let's put ourselves in position to fumble with 30 seconds left and the ball on our 45. Up 5 with 20 seconds left in the half? Lets play a defense that somehow allows a touchdown. Up 8 in the 4th quarter against a team that can't move the ball on us? Lets run a blitz on 3rd and 6 and let a back go for 70 yard TD because there was nobody to cover him. Up 2 and have the ball in the redzone with ~3 min left? Let's run some sort of shovel pass on 3rd down way short of the sticks. Down 4 with first and goal, one timeout and about 20 seconds left in the game? Lets run 3 consecutive plays where we fail to THROW THE BALL TO THE ENDZONE! They were saved by a 4th down catch that I am not even sure was caught by the guy who McSorely threw it to given I think 3 PSU wr's all had their routes going to the same spot on the field...

This is an excellent summary of PSU's boneheaded calls that kept Iowa in the game, in a game where PSU dominated on both ends of the field (just not the scoreboard).

That said, PSU still dominated the game (except the scoreboard), so I'd disagree that it was "one of the worst [coached] games in recent memory"...just had a lot of glaring, huge errors, as you pointed out.

It has been brought to my attention that Kentucky left a Florida player completely uncovered on the game winning TD. By that I mean no one was lined up anywhere near him. Not even within 10 yards. This is a bad strategy.

Got some PAC 12 After Dark to finish the night.
UCLA up 13-6 against Stanford
Washington with a slim lead, 10-7 vs Colorado

DirecTV doesn't get Pac-12 Network...so I'm unable to watch the UCLA game

Odd, UCLA is on ESPN on my (cable) tv. Washington vs Colorado is on FS1

It has been brought to my attention that Kentucky left a Florida player completely uncovered on the game winning TD. By that I mean no one was lined up anywhere near him. Not even within 10 yards. This is a bad strategy.

The real kicker is Kentucky only had 10 men on the field. After a time-out!

Washington pulled away. Just scored again, about to be 24-10

James Franklin is a marginal coach. Give us Penn State talent and we run the table.

Lol please. Who's responsible for that talent? Franklin won 9 games in his 2nd and 3rd years at Vanderbilt and won the B1G in his third year at Penn St. That's a marginal coach?

Really a strange play, all three receivers ran a route that brought them to the same spot. That makes sense for a Hail Mary, but not a short yard end zone pass. And yes, I thought the same thing. It seemed like McSorely was looking at the receiver to his left when he threw the ball, and it was caught by the receiver coming over from his right. The bottom line though is that Iowa lost (and that Brian Ferentz also called a terrible game as well)

Lol please. Who's responsible for that talent? Franklin won 9 games in his 2nd and 3rd years at Vanderbilt and won the B1G in his third year at Penn St. That's a marginal coach?

Right, I love that. Who's recruiting said talent from a team that was in tough shape after sanctions. He won their half of the B1G last year in a division with OSU and Michigan. They are a real threat to do it again. He's a good coach in a great spot.

Top Bottom