Daily Telegram: Hudson native inspiring Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily Telegram:

Kyle Tanner is a University of Michigan fan and has been pulling for the maize and blue since he was little.

But he may be remembered, at least on social media, for being in scarlet and gold. He was recently featured in a viral video that included coach PJ Fleck and the Minnesota football team.

Tanner, a 2013 graduate of Hudson High School, was 16 years old when he was diagnosed with Fanconi anemia, a rare genetic disorder that has no cure and, among other potential health issues, dramatically increases a person’s likelihood of getting cancer by the time they turn 30.

Tanner, now a senior at Central Michigan University, underwent a bone-marrow transplant to cut down chances of him developing leukemia after his doctors detected chromosomal aberrations.

In early August, Tanner was at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital, getting a check up on his bone marrow transplants, when an employee of the hospital came looking for him.

“There was a guy who worked for the hospital that said that he had been trying to get ahold of me, that he and Coach Fleck had been trying to find me, and they couldn’t find me, but I just happened to run into (the employee) at the hospital when I was in there that day,” Tanner said.

Fleck, one of college football’s most enigmatic personalities with his “Row the Boat” mantra, has become known for giving out scholarships to players in unusual ways, such as earlier this year when he when he awarded a former walk-on a scholarship via an Easter egg hunt. That flair with which he awards scholarships has carried over from when Fleck was the coach at Western Michigan.

In 2016, he gave out a scholarship via a tackling drill and a video featuring Sylvester Stallone, while in 2015, he taped a scholarship letter to a ball during an onside kick drill and had the player who’d received the scholarship field it.

Tanner, who had been visited by the Golden Gophers football team twice while he was in the hospital the first time, and had actually been shown on an episode of Fleck’s reality show that airs on ESPNU, “Being PJ Fleck”, had made an impression on Fleck to the point where he wanted Tanner to help him with a surprise: give Minnesota redshirt senior kicker Justin Junemann a scholarship.

http://www.lenconnect.com/sports/20170918/hudson-native-inspiring-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom