Why Purdue's Jeff Brohm is early favorite for Coach of the Year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cleveland.com:

Jeff Brohm has Purdue looking extremely dangerous

It may be three weeks, but it’s impossible not to be impressed by what Jeff Brohm has done at Purdue.

Purdue won just three games last season.

The Boilermakers are 2-1 and put a massive scare into Louisville and reigning Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson. Saturday, they went into Missouri and routed the Tigers, 35-3.
Purdue held the ball for a staggering 43:43 and gained 477 yards of total offense. Brohm has relied on a two-quarterback platoon of starter David Blough and sophomore Elijah Sindelar. They have combined for 10 touchdown passes in three games.

Brohm’s Boilermakers have 35 points or more in all three games after only doing that twice all season.

It’s also too early to tell how good Purdue is and if it can somehow be a contender in the Big Ten West this season. But we will get a good barometer on Saturday when it hosts No. 8 Michigan.

The Wolverines’ defense has allowed 14.7 points per game so far this season.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/09/why_purdues_jeff_brohm_is_earl.html

Go Gophers!!

He was a great hire for them.

Yup -- Mizzou is a dumpster fire, but there's no denying Brohm has the Boilers playing hard. Looking forward to seeing how they stack up against Michigan, who I think is a little overrated.

Brohm is a great hire for the Purdue football program. Purdue is one of those teams that scares me this year. I remember the 39-38 victory over Purdue in 2014 very well. They are always tough for Minnesota regardless of records.

Not to nit pick but they scored 28 against Louisville so the article is wrong about scoring 35 or more in all three games.

Purdue is interesting. They have been really bad, but regardless of the coach they probably entered 2017 with the best QB in the West division (you could probably make an argument for Thorson or the uw guy but I'm going with Blough). This year was already likely to be slight uptick for them...none of this is an attempt to take anything away from Brohm. I've been very impressed with how well their defense has played - which is odd because he is seen as an extreme offensive coach. Good for them - Purdue is one of 3 non-Gopher teams in the Big10 that I don't harbor any hate for (Michigan St and Nebraska are the others).

I agree that he was a great hire for Purdue and fits location and style of play from their hay days. However, he took over an experienced team. They don't show any true freshmen in the 2-deeps. Only 7 players in their first two years. 2 RSFR on Offense, 4 SO on Defense, and 1 RSFR on Defense. Lets see how he can recruits going forward. No doubt he can coach.

as a general rule of thumb, there are two ways to attack a passing team:
1. run the ball against them and control the time of possession - keep their offense off the field
2. pressure the QB and force him into bad throws, then create turnovers.

Assuming the Gophers are (reasonably) healthy, I think they can run the ball against Purdue. the real key will be on defense. this may be a game where you want to turn Cashman loose and see if he can create some havoc.

Purdue is interesting. They have been really bad, but regardless of the coach they probably entered 2017 with the best QB in the West division (you could probably make an argument for Thorson or the uw guy but I'm going with Blough). This year was already likely to be slight uptick for them...none of this is an attempt to take anything away from Brohm. I've been very impressed with how well their defense has played - which is odd because he is seen as an extreme offensive coach. Good for them - Purdue is one of 3 non-Gopher teams in the Big10 that I don't harbor any hate for (Michigan St and Nebraska are the others).

Hey, those are the schools (along with Indiana) that I have no ounce of hate for as well. And that goes across all sports, not just football.

Purdue is overrated
Start still impressive
Mich 30, Purdue 13

**** Nebraska. Tom Osbourne complained Miami and didn't win a ship until he brought or bought his own thugs.

I'm interested to see how they end up. I think the W over Mizzou is great but they are a terrible team. Louisville is hard to say. Think they're going to look like a very overrated team by years end. Jackson is a one man show and can probably get them through a lot of the ACC with little help, but think we saw their true team this weekend. Definitely an improved Purdue squad, we will see just how much over the next 3 games

Literally just watch their games, they pass an eye test that Purdue hasn't passed in a long, long time. I don't know how good they really are, but damn have they looked good so far.

Purdue is certainly one of the biggest surprises in this early season, however, them going into Mizzou and beating them is pretty much the same as us going to Oregon State and beating them. I think Mizzou and OSU are probably equally bad teams, yet the Purdue win seems to have impressed the media more than the Gophers thus far.

I thought Brohm's comments about how he thought they would do were interesting:

Even way back when I got here, I looked at the teams we were going to play, I looked at the Big Ten. Me being an outsider brand-new to the conference, there was about four teams in the Big Ten, Whew, these guys are really good. All the others, we're somewhere similar. It was a matter of who was going to play hard and who was going to play till the end, finish for 60 minutes, really want to win. I thought we could be in most games. You never know.

I think week one, probably played a little bit closer than a lot of people thought. I think our guys gained some confidence. Came out in the second week, had a good showing. Then the third week against a good opponent on the road, we raised up to the challenge and did a very good job.

Our guys are feeling it right now. They've worked hard. They put in the time. But they've played hard and done the small things to this point. We try to improve every week. So that has been good because we're going to need it because now we face one of those four teams that I mentioned that's very good.

We've got our hands full. In these type of games, you have to go in internally believing that you can get it done. You've got to be willing to fight the entire game. You have to be able to do the small things and not beat yourself so that you can get in the second half and be close. Then if you can do that, a few things go your way, you never know.

I've watch part of the Louisville game. Purdue is for real.

They have some scary defense. The Gophers will have their hands full with a two headed monster at QB.

The Gophers will be tested when they play in West La Fayette.

Brohm has ten guys who are either juco or grad transfer in his two deep. Quick fix not always best fix, but, seeing more and more of this in football, like it has become so prevalent in basketball. Worked good for some guys here under Kill/Claeys. PJ did go with Silver from Iowa juco and the late oline signing guy out of Cali juco. Picked up the not ready for this year grad transfers at cb and dt out of FL and AL.

Top Bottom