Year Zero

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Been hearing this a lot lately.

When PJ married Heather, did they have a year zero anniversary?

Made up concept.

It is however the name of the 2007 Nine Inch Nails album. I'd like to think this excellent song represents the end of many things in the West. By the way for the NIN fans Reznor wrote the theme for the new Ken Burns Vietnam documentary airing on PBS. One of the greats.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BtwIpIGRrvM?list=PLqBVC58RYRxCbgNCNb2e3wcRL5XGc-CNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't like the term. If it's year zero does that mean no paycheck until year one?
It seems like a disservice to all the seniors to act like their senior year is a nothing year.
Call it year one and keep doing what you're doing.

Definition of 'year zero' per Harper Collins: "the beginning of any new system or regime". It's fitting.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/year-zero

BTW, for a financial analyst, Year Zero is a common term for the initial investment at the beginning of a multi-year forecast (all the Carlson School alums on this forum understand the meaning). Also fitting.

Now the implication is that since the kids came from the first marriage they don't really count or they're just not talented enough for the new regime?

Even for F the Facts that's pretty weak.

In the comics world, several titles have done a "zero year" story line - basically a 'behind the scenes' look at the first year of a superhero's career. I know there was a "Batman- Zero Year" run. Spider-Man did the same thing, only they called it "Chapter One."

Yes, I'm a geek.

hey - sudden idea. PJ Fleck- Year Zero - the Comic book. Dan Jurgens, a big-time comic creator, lives in the Twin Cities. (Born in Ortonville) He's worked on Superman, Justice League and other titles. Maybe..........

Also a song by Swedish metal band Ghost...about the birth and rise of Satan.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Mbxe33BYW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also a song by Swedish metal band Ghost...about the birth and rise of Satan.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Mbxe33BYW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now who is feeding the trolls :p

Just so I am clear, people are now upset with Fleck saying "year zero"? Really?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Just the usual suspects. We all know who they are and what their agenda is.

Definition of 'year zero' per Harper Collins: "the beginning of any new system or regime". It's fitting.

BTW, for a financial analyst, Year Zero is a common term for the initial investment at the beginning of a multi-year forecast (all the Carlson School alums on this forum understand the meaning). Also fitting.

Thanks. I learned this today. I had never heard the phrase before so I thought it was something made up.
I should have gone back for that MBA I always pondered.

Just the usual suspects. We all know who they are and what their agenda is.

I'm a big Fleck fan, I just hadn't been familiar with the phrase before. I thought he was trying to start a skirting of responsibility by coining the phrase, but it has real meaning.

By posted this thread, my analogy was off because as was pointed out by someone else in this thread, it's a legitimate phrase that I was simply unaware of, so my posting of this thread was made in ignorance.

My fault.
i was wrong.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

People don't like change. They also don't like things that deviate too far from the norm. PJ is all about changing the culture and doing a lot of things that are way outside normal. People get uncomfortable with that.

AKA the number at the stroke of midnight at the beginning of Year 1 or whatever other arbitrary start point.

The beginning of Fleck's Year 1 was Jan 6, 2017. All the record books, all the pundits, vast majority of fans will record the following 364 days as Year 1 along with the win and loss record. He inherited a winning team so if our investment/revenue/wins take a precipitous dip by the end of year 1 the stakeholders/investors will get a little nervous.

The good news is that forecasts are rosy; we have a talented team. Some competitors are struggling, while others may be rising but still not to our level.

People don't like change. They also don't like things that deviate too far from the norm. PJ is all about changing the culture and doing a lot of things that are way outside normal. People get uncomfortable with that.

So true. Innovation often starts 'outside normal' then gets accepted later.

If we want to analyze this metaphor (a huge stretch, btw), year zero is, as you said, the time at which initial capital flows into a business. If we want to extend the metaphor, it would be perfectly reasonable to take the time from January 6 to August 31 and call it year zero. Fleck and staff were working on structuring and improving their existing assets, adding new investment capital in the form of recruiting, and seeking additional investors (season ticket holders). When you start to put capital investments to work, when the first shovel goes into the ground, year 1 has begun. By any stretch of this paper-thin metaphor, we are now well into year 1.

So true. Innovation often starts 'outside normal' then gets accepted later.
" New normal" happens all the time and sneaks up on people. Smart phones are a good example...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If we want to analyze this metaphor (a huge stretch, btw), year zero is, as you said, the time at which initial capital flows into a business. If we want to extend the metaphor, it would be perfectly reasonable to take the time from January 6 to August 31 and call it year zero. Fleck and staff were working on structuring and improving their existing assets, adding new investment capital in the form of recruiting, and seeking additional investors (season ticket holders). When you start to put capital investments to work, when the first shovel goes into the ground, year 1 has begun. By any stretch of this paper-thin metaphor, we are now well into year 1.

noun

1. the beginning (1975) of the period during which Cambodia was under the control of the Khmer Rouge
2. the beginning of revolutionary change
3. the beginning of any new system or regime

I am guessing that Coach Fleck is using it to mean #2 or #3.

<edit>misunderstood context of post, don't care about flecks turn of phrase</edit>

Hate to break the news to you, but in our First World (sorry, couldn't help myself), change has become constant and ever present. We're having fun with a phrase that has many meanings.

Wow, nicely done. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Hate to break the news to you, but in our First World (sorry, couldn't help myself), change has become constant and ever present. We're having fun with a phrase that has many meanings.

Thanks for clarifying. Fleckophobia is running wild.

Top Bottom